Transfer case button not working properly? Super custom 4x4

Moderators: Steve_t647, Tech Authors

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Transfer case button not working properly? Super custom 4x4

Postby ClanFever » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Hey guys, got me a 1990 toyota hiace super custom 4x4. Has a push button transfer case, low range box and manual locking hubs.

The 4wd (transfercase) sometimes gets stuck on. The light on the dash stays lit up, and I'm down on power (as I'm driving around with only 50% power going to the back).

Thought it could be wound up, so I jacked the entire van in the air and played around with everything, low range, transfer case button and locking hubs, D and R and it still wouldn't come out of 4wd mode.

Just now on my way home, I turned the 4wd button on, and while doing 50kmh I put the van in N, hit the 4wd button off, into D and bam the 4wd light is off and I'm in 2wd mode again.

Sorry if my explanation of the situation is a bit rough on detail, but does anyone know what is going on? I usually take 4wd off with the locking hubs on, reverse to get it out of 4wd mode. But that doesn't always work. How come the moving and taking it off 4wd mode worked?
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE), 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, 1997 Sprinter Carib
Past (only 4x4's due to character limit): '90 Hiace Super Custom Part Time 4x4, '94 Pajero, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '92 Terrano, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Transfer case button not working properly? Super custom

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:09 pm

educated guess but assuming it is similar to the LN130 surf and or mitsi's super select it will be the vaccuum actuators for the ADD engagement.
check all the hoses etc for perishing cracks and what not.

If it happens again switch the two hoses over that provide vaccumm to the diff actuator and leave it in 4wd for a bit then switch them back, put it back in 2wd and start it up and see what happens
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Return to “Tech Section/Library”