What did you do to your Jeep today?

DJ
Hard Yaka

Re: What did you do to your Jeep today?

Postby DJ » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:45 pm

started with this indian copy for someting to do over xmass Image
got to this , what started as a "I'll just do a small fix and Ill be away driving in no time"
Nissan maxima motor auto turned from east/west to north/ south, fj55 diffs, disc brake conversion front (surf) and rear (Pajero), left hand drive nissan patrol steering box,and a whole bunch of other stuff. Should call it "The Mungrel"
cheers
have other pics if anyones interested

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:14 am

fitted one of these, Image
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

After munting my tailpipe on saturday, i finally put a little plan into action to modify my exhaust system. Getting rid of the tailpipe (shortening the length and hopefully helping it breath a bit better) and replacing the muffler with a hotdog placed above the transmission skid plate.......

Image Image

.......... and by the hairs of lucifers bollocks, its loud! Its ok while idling, first is "nice", but opening it up in second is just fraking scary. Only had it to 80 cruising so far and theres no real horrid drone though. Nice little "cackle " while decelerating.... but second.... its just horrid.

So now im off into the garage to build a skid from the control arm mount to the chassis to protect it, though i can see issues with it getting caught at the end.

Hopefully it all works out, not sure ive done the right thing here.... but one advantage, im louder than the boy racer subaru that lives next door, god help him if he wakes me up again with "unce unce unce" music and his little rice popper farting away.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm

shock fell off, nut came off, other side is tight as. didnt think i would have to check them, funning how only one side came away.... Image

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Dj's jeep reconstuction
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:02 pm

sweet keep the pics coming..

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

yep keep the pic comming selling anj jeep bit pm me coulod be interested

as for mine spent another $60 so now hope it goes this weekend project

yeh rite

wot you been doing to yours yeti??
beside breaking it

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 pm

little by little it comes together.. might have to look around for desent hood and guards
Last edited by DJ on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Half finished the skid bracket for the new exhaust, dont think its gunna stop it getting damaged though methinks.

Anyway, little vid of it and its new noise... http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/ ... CF0860.flv
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:16 am

just orded new rims for the 33s......now have to list my 31s , less than 3000k on + the mags :?: :?:

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 am

Got the new front hub/bearing from the US, so time to do the hard work. First hurdle is the big nut on the end of the axle, removed the split pin and the retainer, but the big nut ain't turning. I had borrowed a 36mm socket for it, but now I need an impact wrench or something that is going to help it move. Put some penetrating oil on in the meantime, but the usual easy job is turning into something a bit harder :x
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

1936 Ford Flathead V8 Colonial Cab (restoration project)

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:07 pm

downunderxj wrote:Got the new front hub/bearing from the US, so time to do the hard work. First hurdle is the big nut on the end of the axle, removed the split pin and the retainer, but the big nut ain't turning. I had borrowed a 36mm socket for it, but now I need an impact wrench or something that is going to help it move. Put some penetrating oil on in the meantime, but the usual easy job is turning into something a bit harder :x

i slid a bit a pipe on the old bar i had socket on, do you only have to do one side :?: lucky man...i find everytime i replace somthing the other side needs it to :( good luck mate

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 pm

downunderxj wrote:Got the new front hub/bearing from the US, so time to do the hard work. First hurdle is the big nut on the end of the axle, removed the split pin and the retainer, but the big nut ain't turning. I had borrowed a 36mm socket for it, but now I need an impact wrench or something that is going to help it move. Put some penetrating oil on in the meantime, but the usual easy job is turning into something a bit harder :x

Ha! lol... broke two powerbars doing my last one!!! Good luck.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:08 pm

XJ get your self a 3/4 " socket set unless you have acess to on then bit of pipe

as for mine moved out of garage and took some pic to prove it made the top for my tool box and made box for snatch sraps and rope but don't think big enought oohh well next time! now to fit the cab properly and ????????

DJ a guy in hamilton still making fibre glass bits for the cj's look him up on trade me (hamorr) has jeep parts there the other day
or try 0274777937 can't remember his name but he had jeep bits north of akl I think

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 pm

aroma wrote:XJ get your self a 3/4 " socket set unless you have acess to on then bit of pipe

Yup, they WERE 3/4 inch..... with a pipe attached.... with me jumping on it.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 pm

DJ a guy in hamilton still making fibre glass bits for the cj's look him up on trade me (hamorr) has jeep parts there the other day
or try 0274777937 can't remember his name but he had jeep bits north of akl I think

thanks looked at that option decided that where we drive firbreglass is not a good idea. Now only need a hood, have got 2 spare grills ,a set of spare front guards.

Yup, they WERE 3/4 inch..... with a pipe attached.... with me jumping on it.
more donuts???for the xtra weight!!or as a last resort, if donuts dont work, a desent engineering workshop should have a torque mulitplier

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:56 pm

DJ wrote:more donuts???for the xtra weight!!or as a last resort, if donuts dont work, a desent engineering workshop should have a torque mulitplier

mmmmm yeah.. nahh... eaten enough donuts in my time ta.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Progress on the bearing, managed to undo the big nut on the axle (36mm) with a 3/4" socket & long handle - and 95 kg of pure human fat :lol:

The next step according to the instructions was the brake rotor should just slide off - yeah right, a bit like a tui ad.

So after having knocked 2 of the studs back through into no mans land I have left it for the night and will try to remove the 3 bolts holding the hub unit onto the end of the axle tomorrow and remove rotor & bearing in one go. Might be easier to seperate once off the vehicle.

Will definitley make sure there is plenty of grease between surfaces when I put it back together - that is if I ever get it all apart

I knew it wasn't going to take 1 - 2 hrs :evil:
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:43 am

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHubReplacement.htm when i did mine it all went to plan, you probly already have that link , let us know how ya go.....

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:54 pm

yeti wrote:http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHubReplacement.htm when i did mine it all went to plan, you probly already have that link , let us know how ya go.....

Thanks for the link, great if it all goes according to plan - but finally after much banging, hammering, and copious amounts of CRC I have managed to remove the old bearing. Various posts on http://www.naxja.org/forum provided some interesting solutions to the removal of wheel bearings. I am not the only one to have one sod of a job removing a bearing.

Anyway, here is a photo of the old bearing

and here is it beside the new one

'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:51 pm

aww c'mon, whats wrong with the old one????? Gee, throwing ya coin about!!!! You'd get another 20k outa that surely!?!
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm

xj wrote:aww c'mon, whats wrong with the old one????? Gee, throwing ya coin about!!!! You'd get another 20k outa that surely!?!

That's what I tried to tell the WoF man too, but the funny click gave it away. I think I spotted a bit of Rallywoods mud in there somewhere :D
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 am

Finally, new WoF on the windscreen. Fitted the new wheel bearing with plenty of grease to ensure it will come out next time. Fixed the twist in the brake hose. Re-wired the front park lights to become the indicators since I had removed the side ones about the wheel arches when I trimmed them.

Took it back yesterday and got them all ticked off, but pulled up on the sharp edges of my front bumper as I have removed the plastic corners. :cry:

So refitted the transmission hose that I had split down the length and zip tied to the ends of the bumper. Now the WoF man is happy

No worries for 6 months now............
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:37 pm

hi downunder, good news on the wof, have you trimmed the back yet ??? cheers mate..

Flash2004
Hard Yaka

Postby Flash2004 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:52 pm

xj wrote:
DJ wrote:more donuts???for the xtra weight!!or as a last resort, if donuts dont work, a desent engineering workshop should have a torque mulitplier

mmmmm yeah.. nahh... eaten enough donuts in my time ta.

About the only advantage of busting front axles and diffs regularly like I unfortunately still do is that these parts slip on and off really easily.

As for the sealed hubs, I replaced both of mine when I fitted the new D44 axle assembly with new ones bought from Greg. One failed the first WOF and the other failed its second WOF and to Greg's credit, he replaced both free of charge, including freight.

You can't ask for more than that.

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:55 pm

didnt do much
reg W O F bolted down tool box under drivers seat and vacumed the swarf up floating fround the cab

yah bloody hooooooo

think I'm happy with wof

Flash2004
Hard Yaka

Postby Flash2004 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Fitted new high rise amber rotating flashing light to the windshield mounted spotlight brackets. It will extend manually up to about 3.5m from the ground and flash like hell. Its so I can be found in deep rivers and bogs.

Actually, there are four primary schools in the countryside around here and they're all doing triathlons this week on country roads. They're using the TJ as an early warning device for motorists. Jeeps can do anything of course. cheers, Gordon

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:06 pm

picked up 5 of these today Image

Flash2004
Hard Yaka

Postby Flash2004 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Take those 5 down to Howie and get beadlocks fitted, the single best 4 wheeling enhancement you can make. they look pretty too

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:20 pm

yeti fitting those will double the value of the jeep lol
they look the part
any luck getting rid of your current ones

Return to “Jeep”