help buying a jeep

GotFlex
Hard Yaka

help buying a jeep

Postby GotFlex » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:06 pm

hi guys im thinking of selling my oil burner and buying a jeep cherokee, what should i be looking for?
i no they are thirsty but is there much difference to running a diesel?
SASed Isuzu Mu - hilux diffs, Rears up front, disc brake conversion, ifs hub swap, crossover steering, and legal!!!!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Re: help buying a jeep

Postby TJ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:26 pm

madterrano wrote:hi guys im thinking of selling my oil burner and buying a jeep cherokee, what should i be looking for?
i no they are thirsty but is there much difference to running a diesel?

I drive a TJ, so can't help you with a diesel or Cherokee question. But don't listen to people who say Jeep 4.0L is a thirsty engine. I am pushing the aerodynamics of a barn door with that engine, it will never be as economic as a Civic! It is very high low end torque with most of it being delivered around 2800 rpms.

Wait for XJ to reply, he used to have a Cherokee. Downunderxj is still running one.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi madterrano,
With a nickname of terrano, a signature including a MU and wanting to by a jeep people could think you have an identity crisis, but I am certainly not going to stop you buying a jeep.
I bought my '95 XJ (Cherokee) off trade me almost 2 years ago, and spent some money on getting the motor running right, it's camshaft was not in good condition, so I imported a high performance COMP camshaft (extra low end torque) from the US, cost me the same price as a locally sourced original camshaft. I use my XJ just for weekend offroading, not as a Daily Driver. The motor is great, plenty of power and low end torque, the body is light (no seperate chassis), and it has the comforts of a normal car.
Down side to the XJ is that fact that there is no seperate chassis, you can NOT do a body lift, only a suspension lift. To run a Jeep XJ on 33z like your MU has you need at least a 4 1/2" suspension lift and then trim the fenders a bit, all fully documented on forums like http://www.naxja.org/forum and many others.
I have found it is much cheaper to source bits from the US as TJ has done from summit racing. Lately I needed a new crankshaft position sensor, local chyrsler dealer quoted $235 + GST. I ended up getting 2 shipped to my door for less than $235.
I am happy with my jeep, everyone has their favourite, I have always wanted a Jeep since I spent a year in Moab, Utah in 1977 - as they say it is a Jeep thing and others wouldn't understand.
Go for it - have fun
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

1936 Ford Flathead V8 Colonial Cab (restoration project)

GotFlex
Hard Yaka

Postby GotFlex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 pm

yea i cant find the right truck, i also bought a single cab hilux today, how hard is importing the gear? i saw 1 with a skyjacker kit 6'' lift with 35s looked sweet, whats a decent price for one?
SASed Isuzu Mu - hilux diffs, Rears up front, disc brake conversion, ifs hub swap, crossover steering, and legal!!!!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:08 pm

madterrano wrote:yea i cant find the right truck, i also bought a single cab hilux today, how hard is importing the gear? i saw 1 with a skyjacker kit 6'' lift with 35s looked sweet, whats a decent price for one?

Importing stuff is really easy. No real dramas if you deal with a company in US that knows what they are doing. For large items, you can use a freight forwarder (but most of the times its not necessary).

minimun
Hard Yaka

Postby minimun » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:14 pm

dont know what kind you want.. Sport or limited but i have a 1996 Limited that i'd part with. its a NZ new done 122,000kms

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:37 pm

minimun wrote:dont know what kind you want.. Sport or limited but i have a 1996 Limited that i'd part with. its a NZ new done 122,000kms

A few photos of whats on offer might be useful!

minimun
Hard Yaka

Postby minimun » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 pm

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Hey fellas,

Cherokee.... well ive converted back to the swb preference, but hey.

front wheel bearings can be an issue. Make sure you check them out throughly, replacement aftermarket ones can be obtained for around $300.00, getting them from Chrysler are about $700 a piece.

Ive had a Limited, same as the one photographed above. Theyve got some cool extras, leather upholstery, electric seats, cruise control etc. However, their stock suspension is one inch lower from factory than the sport version. Something to consider if remaining stock height but still wanting to get offroad. I lifted my ltd what was supposed to be 2inches, but in reality ended up 3 inches. Bought the springs from chaimberlains in Chch (wouldnt again however, thats another story) and got the shocks from autolign. Total lift cost $770.00, that was by using some contacts in the industry however.

Cherokees do tend to "squeak" inside, due to their awesome plastic interior moulding.

Gearboxes in some years of Cherokee have been known to have a factory fault, however, now that theyre getting on a little in years, I would expect than any faulty ones would have been sorted by now.

In regards to fuel consumption, I can only relate it to my XF Fairmont that i used to own. Both weigh around the 1400kg mark, and both had 4lt donks under the bonnet, and the fuel consumption was nigh on identical. Hamilton to Whangarei spot on 1/2 tank. :D or :cry: depending on your outlook

They reputedly have electric issues, however in both my 93 limited and 99 sport, there was no evidence of this.

The location of the electric window switches are a right pain (IMO) on the models pre (i think) 1997, they ended up changing the design of the cockpit, and placed the switches in a much more ergonomic position.... not crucial, but was a pet peeve of mine.

Cut the catalytic converter out.... dont ponder it, just do it. :D

Ball joints require a "special" tool to remove, so "special" that aside from the dealerships workshops, not many are about. I looked at buying one, but at $400.00 to get one offshore, I bit the bullet and let Wingers do it. Something else to consider.

Some folks take the piss out of the "weak" drive train. I have heard of more than one owner who has beefed up the universal joints at the ends of the axles (traditionally a weak point, first hand experience!!) only to have the axle or the diff blow out....... if anything is going to break, you want it to be the universal joint!!

Cherokees, and to some extent, the wranglers, run hot. All of mine hit 100deg on the temp guage and sit there. Alot of Cherokees do however have radiator issues at some juncture. A replacement copper one is recommended.

Cant really think of anything else currently... but feel free to ask. I'm by no means an authority on them, but ive had my fair share of time in under and around them, i'll assist you where possible.

My 99 sport was a dream to drive, and had been highly modded, lift, lockers, etc etc etc. However, it was a lot more comfortable to both drive, and be a passenger in
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

minimun
Hard Yaka

Postby minimun » Mon May 19, 2008 4:58 pm

xj wrote:

Cut the catalytic converter out.... dont ponder it, just do it. :D

For someone with limited knowledge of these can someone please tell me what they are/do, where they are and the upside to removing them as seems this is this thing to do

Thanks

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Long story short, they help reduce emissions. They get clogged and then restrict the vehicles ability to "breathe". Replacing one is moonbeams. If you get one and cut it out, get a quote to do the job, then after the job is done ask for the used cat and take it to the scrappys. Ive been told they are worth around $70.00 with all the aluminum in them.

you can google "catalytic converter" and it will link you to the likes of "wikipedia" or "how stuff works"
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paybac » Mon May 19, 2008 5:10 pm

The Cat is the part of the exhuast pipe which is spose to take the majority of the bad stuff out of the exhaust. Startingat the back of your XJ it goes Tailpipe, Muffler, then Cat. The cat should be about under your drivers seat. If you take it to a exhaust shop the will whip it out and put a piece of Pipe in its place for about $90. You may notice a little better fuel consumption and maybe a little more power.

If you are looking at making some other mods to your XJ check out these sites for some guides and tips :)

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/
http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=56

xj wrote:Long story short, they help reduce emissions. They get clogged and then restrict the vehicles ability to "breathe". Replacing one is moonbeams. If you get one and cut it out, get a quote to do the job, then after the job is done ask for the used cat and take it to the scrappys. Ive been told they are worth around $70.00 with all the aluminum in them. you can google "catalytic converter" and it will link you to the likes of "wikipedia" or "how stuff works"

$70 bucks i hadn't heard that might check it out. I'll swap you the cat for those springs :lol: :lol:
1996 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Rolling stock, not for long.

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Paybac wrote:$70 bucks i hadn't heard that might check it out. I'll swap you the cat for those springs :lol: :lol:

hmmm yeah nahhhhhhh!

I'll see how quick i can get them to Vegas. PM me your dad's addy.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Mon May 19, 2008 5:26 pm

its not the aluminium in them that makes them worth money, its the platinum.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon May 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Be careful on the later model ones, these are now coming with two O2 sensors (one before and one after cat) to monitor cat activity (actually efficiency). If you remove your cat in that scenario, your engine will go in limp home mode :shock: Not good for anything.

I have changed mine to a hiflow design which lets my engine exhaust work, but keep the ECU happy with two working O2 sensors.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 19, 2008 6:08 pm

There was no issue at all with the o2 sensors in my two cherokees, as far as im aware they came off with the cat and never went back on. My TJ however had to have it fitted back in the straight pipe which cost a little more as it needed to be threaded in.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paybac » Mon May 19, 2008 6:09 pm

TJ wrote:Be careful on the later model ones, these are now coming with two O2 sensors (one before and one after cat) to monitor cat activity (actually efficiency). If you remove your cat in that scenario, your engine will go in limp home mode :shock: Not good for anything.

I have changed mine to a hiflow design which lets my engine exhaust work, but keep the ECU happy with two working O2 sensors.

I think i read somewhere the 2000+ models have 4 02 Sensors?

Pretty sure on the the pre 96 there is just the forward 02 sensor, then the other one is in the top of the Cat. If nothing is done when your remove the cat then that 2nd sensor will trip the CEL. To fix this don't you just ground that 2nd sensor to the body?

I no expert this just my understanding of it
1996 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Rolling stock, not for long.

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Mon May 19, 2008 7:22 pm

if you can get to it, you can knock out the middle of the cat which will just turn it into a straight through pipe, there has been alot of talk about making it illegal not to have a cat, so if you do cut it out it may be worth keeping, (they are very very expensive to buy new) the beauty of knocking out the centre is it looks factory but will free flow and shouldn't cost you anything
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon May 19, 2008 7:32 pm

It cost me $285 for a new hiflow one, so they are not prohibitively expensive. Myth busted!

I think it was 2000 when the switch happened to two O2 sensors. Those 4 ones are in Grand Cherokees with V8s mostly. I6s (4.0l) in California also has 4 sensors and 3 cats (2 mini, 1 full)!!

Return to “Jeep”