XJ Noob. (Questions + Pics)

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

XJ Noob. (Questions + Pics)

Postby Paybac » Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am

Hi,

Just wanted to say gday and hi to everyone in the Jeep Forum. I have had my XJ for about 6 months now and luvin it. Have been doing a little bit of offroading (mud and sand) and i am impressed with its capability in stock form. Plenty of power and low end torque. (Have had a little previous experence in the old mans 1994 Suzuki Vitara 1600cc, got to do the lift in that myself at 16 :mrgreen: plenty of good experence gained there) Guna get it out in the mud a couple more times before doing my lift.

Anyways have been cruising the Yank Jeep forums for the last 6mths and figured the other day there gotta be a NZ Jeep Forum and hey here i am.

Current plans Aprox 2-2.5"budget Lift and fender trimming to run 31s. I am going to add two more leafs to my current rear pack and balance the front with a spacer. And then find some shocks to suit.

So i gotta couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to get cheap V8 ZJ parts? (so i can change out front spacers for the v8 ZJ springs) THe V8 model seems to be a rare beast in NZ. Got one Price $200 each spring from the wreckers. you can get 2" lift springs for not much more then that.

2. Is the best option for Factory Jeep Parts the Local dealer or is there a better option?

Cheers for any and all advice

Couple of picks of my XJ

1996 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Rolling stock, not for long.

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Re: XJ Noob. (Questions + Pics)

Postby downunderxj » Mon May 05, 2008 11:49 am

Good to find another XJ on here, where abouts in the country are you based. I have had quite a bit of work done on the motor of mine, it needed a new camshaft when I bought it. The majority of parts I have bought in from the US as they are significantly cheaper than the local Jeep/Chrysler man. http://www.summitracing.com is a good source for motor parts, there is at least one other Jeep owner on this forum who highly recommends them. I have not yet had any problems with importing bits.

And here is a photo of mine. '95 XJ (not Limited) on 30" Maxxis Buckshot's with no lift. It rides an inch or two higher than the Limited does already. The orange grill is so that my friends know it is me, but mine is one of the few XJ's around that is usually coated in mud anyway. Apart from the tyres, the only other thing I have done underneath is remove the anti-sway bar.

'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

1936 Ford Flathead V8 Colonial Cab (restoration project)

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paybac » Mon May 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Based in Palmy North, How do you find o the ride with the sway bar removed in the rear? I understand it is hardly noticable when removed and gives you another inch or so of droop. Are those wrangler rims on there?

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 05, 2008 1:04 pm

The rims on downunders wagon are stock, and came on both the wrangler and the XJ sport. Yours are the limited specific rims.

If you stick to stock rims, either your current alloy, or the steel ones, you shouldnt need to trim the fenders at all. I had a limited with a 2inch lift and it was fine....... [see pic]

And my sport with a 2.5 inch lift,needed a slight trim on the rear bottom corner of the front guard while still having 31's, but also 8 inch rims with a -24mm offset........ [see pic]

Stock ZJ front springs provide a 2" lift.... and lo and behold, there's some in my garage! I got them as spares for my sport and are still sitting there.

Get onto Trademe and look up member "justjeep", hes in Whangarei, need parts, ask him.

Mark
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Mon May 05, 2008 1:12 pm

Paybac wrote:How do you find o the ride with the sway bar removed in the rear? I understand it is hardly noticable when removed and gives you another inch or so of droop.

It didn't come with a rear sway bar, it was the front one that I removed. Yes it feels a bit loose when cornering, but I really only use my XJ for the weekends. However the increased travel on the front is great. When going through washouts that run diagonally across the track the vehicle stays almost flat, rather than tipping at an angle.

Mark has given you the right answer about the rims.

Cheers
Ian
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

1936 Ford Flathead V8 Colonial Cab (restoration project)

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paybac » Mon May 05, 2008 1:59 pm

downunder wrote:It didn't come with a rear sway bar, it was the front one that I removed. Yes it feels a bit loose when cornering, but I really only use my XJ for the weekends. However the increased travel on the front is great. When going through washouts that run diagonally across the track the vehicle stays almost flat, rather than tipping at an angle.

Cheers
Ian

Oh tru. I do a bit of travel so will leave the front in. Rear will be coming out when i add the rear leafs.

xj wrote:The rims on downunders wagon are stock, and came on both the wrangler and the XJ sport. Yours are the limited specific rims.

If you stick to stock rims, either your current alloy, or the steel ones, you shouldnt need to trim the fenders at all. I had a limited with a 2inch lift and it was fine.......

And my sport with a 2.5 inch lift,needed a slight trim on the rear bottom corner of the front guard while still having 31's, but also 8 inch rims with a -24mm offset........

Stock ZJ front springs provide a 2" lift.... and lo and behold, there's some in my garage! I got them as spares for my sport and are still sitting there.

Get onto Trademe and look up member "justjeep", hes in Whangarei, need parts, ask him.

Mark

Sent you a PM Mike. Did you have ZJ Springs in you Sport? How was it?

Cheers
Josh

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 pm

The ZJ springs drove well, until i decided to pop some 1 inch spacers on top, taking it to a 3.5 inch lift. Then it got a bit floaty in the nose.

Mark

(i have responded to PM)
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 05, 2008 7:09 pm

I can have them in Palmerston North for you tomorrow. Check you PM's

Probably need to add the little "these items are second hand and as such carry no warrentee or guarantee" little bit on the end.... just so everyone is clear.

Also have a set of front and rear TJ springs if you know of anyones who's is sagging
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon May 05, 2008 9:57 pm

Good to see another Jeeper. Welcome. Don't know a lot about XJs or ZJs so can't add to this discussion.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 12, 2008 12:29 pm

hey paybac, looks like ill be down your way saturday morning, i'll drop those springs off if you still want them.
Cheers
Mark
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paybac » Mon May 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Hiya XJ, Yea that would be great. :mrgreen: I will be around all weekend. You'll have to excuse the the Vitara that will be in the drive i have brought it back from the old mans hunting block to service and do a few mods(4x4ing with next to no brakes and no hand brake = Bad).

Cheers
Josh

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 pm

no need to excuse the vitara.... theyre all good man. Dunno what time ill be leaving here, but it'll be early as. Gotta do a return trip to levin.
PM me your cell number and i'll give you a call when I get near.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 pm

got your PM pal, thanks. Seems theres a slight change of plan now and ill be meeting in Palmy about lunchtime, so I'll see you there when ive got this other business out of the way.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed May 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Josh, I owe you an apology.

I was coming down to pick up some tyres and rims, and the tosser that I did the deal with has now reneged. First he said he wanted ot keep them for a new 4x4 that he had bought, then he said one sidewall was crook and didnt think it right to sell them like that...... ALSO he had the audacity to tell methat he didnt think I could come up with the cash.

I'll not be coming down now. Sorry for the fuk around man.

Does anyone happen to know a young fulla by the name of William who lives in Levin and drives a 4x4 of some description. Apparently he works at night. Any information would be welcomly recieved. 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paybac » Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 pm

No need to apoligise M8 you doing me a favor.

Guys like that pis me offImageImage

Maybe he a friend of this guy viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9447

Glad he didn't take you money first.

Oh another idea is if you are in Rotorua in the near future you could drop of to my parents place? I regulary catch up with the oldman at his hunting block in Ahititi.

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed May 14, 2008 7:27 pm

This clown told me to deposit the money in his account and he'd pull the auction he had on TM. I refused, for obvious reasons. He then upped the price after we'd agreed on a dollar value. I held him ot the origianal price. We organised a venue and I told him Id have the cash, in whatever denomination he wished.

He then texts me today saying he'd bought another truck and would keep the tyres and rims. Then told me that he didnt think I had the money. The auction hadn't been pulled, so I knew he was lying. He refused to anwser his phone when I called, but was happy to reply via text. I decided to bid on the auction, go the whole hog, and then have a face to face "discussion" when picking them up.......
Tonight he did pull the auction stating that the sidewall on one was damaged etc etc. I text him again calling him both a liar and a coward for not answering his phone (after again calling and not having him answer).... his response:

"I'm sure you'd do the same thing in my position, you didnt give a deposit, nothing was set in concrete" Despite the fact that we had agreed on a price, note denomination, and location to collect, it would appear that we did not in fact have a deal!

There was never talk of a deposit, he wanted the full amount in his account... who the hell would put well over a k into someones bank account without knowing anything about them????? Not this cowboy.

He's also got a mate that drives a Suzuki who lives in Masterton.

I am seriously pissed off.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paybac » Wed May 14, 2008 7:53 pm

:shock:

Some people just don't understand that a deal is a deal.

ImageImage

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed May 14, 2008 8:26 pm

edit that... he hasnt got a mate with a zuk, he's looking at buying/currently bidding on a yellow zuk in Masterton. So much for "ive just boought anohter truck" Just another lie!
Currently he owns a red surf or hilux......
He'll turn up on the track one day. :twisted:
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Return to “Jeep”