XJ Towing problem

Paybac
Driver/Navigator

XJ Towing problem

Postby Paybac » Mon May 12, 2008 3:00 pm

I towed the old mans Vitara on a tandem trailer back from Ahititi on Sunday.(about 70km north of New Plymouth) Back to Palmerston North on Sunday. Everything went well except near the start of the trip when going up MT Messenger. I just crawled the Jeep up there at about 50km or less and didn't push it and kept under 2k rpm most of the time. I stoped at the top to check everything and i noticed a burning smell. I had a look under the XJ and there was a fine white smoke (not real noticable) coming from the area between the Transfer Case and gearbox? :shock:

I let the vehicle cool and then carried on my way. Checked again at Urenui and a few other places along the way and had no more problems. In saying that no more climbs like Mt Messenger.

Any ideas?
1996 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Rolling stock, not for long.

..l___l_.oooo
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

skid
Tyre Man

Re: XJ Towing problem

Postby skid » Mon May 12, 2008 3:07 pm

Paybac wrote:I towed the old mans Vitara on a tandem trailer back from Ahititi on Sunday.(about 70km north of New Plymouth) Back to Palmerston North on Sunday. Everything went well except near the start of the trip when going up MT Messenger. I just crawled the Jeep up there at about 50km or less and didn't push it and kept under 2k rpm most of the time. I stoped at the top to check everything and i noticed a burning smell. I had a look under the XJ and there was a fine white smoke (not real noticable) coming from the area between the Transfer Case and gearbox? :shock:

I let the vehicle cool and then carried on my way. Checked again at Urenui and a few other places along the way and had no more problems. In saying that no more climbs like Mt Messenger.

Any ideas?

I have some mates who have 2 of these and when towing they seem to randomly have a problem with trans fluid being forced up the filler spout and over the nice warm parts causing lots of nice smoke

next time you tow and this happens, check the filler to see if anything has come out
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

xj
Hard Yaka

Re: XJ Towing problem

Postby xj » Mon May 12, 2008 10:40 pm

There was a recall done on or about the 96 year, (mates one had issues and was told about it well after the fact by Jeep techs up north) with regards to overheating transmissions due to a hose malfunction. I would have thought though that by now if there were an issue it would have been sorted.

To back Skids comment, theres a thermostat running between the transmission and the trans cooler, if theres a bit of crap, it can get stuck in the thermostat and stop it from opening and circulating the fluid. Hence when the fluid heats and expands the only place for it to go is back up the filler pipe and out onto the hot bits..... had first hand experience, and this info came from Chrysler.

Cant however, shed any light on why youd have symptoms such as you have explained though..... between the trans and transfer case??????????????? :?: :cry: sorry man
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Return to “Jeep”