Another Jeeper

TJ
Hard Yaka

Another Jeeper

Postby TJ » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi All,

Just joined the forum today. I have a '01 TJ Renegade Auto running 265/75R16 BFG Muds, JKS Quick Discos, OME Lift, 1" MML.

Cheers

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:09 pm

A BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

............we merry band of two................

Well, there's more than two Jeep owners here, but it appears as if there's only two that want to admit it!!!!!!!!!
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 am

I have been a Jepaholic for a long time, so no shame in owning up to driving a Jeep everyday. There is a strange feeling when people get surprised with what Jeeps can really do (relatively stock).

I have only done the tyres and suspension so far in my three years of Jeeping in NZ. Next are the front and rear bars on the list (coming very soon - on order). I will need an SYE before going any higher with the suspension.

Cheers

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:02 am

I had better jump in here too! Also a long term Jeep Aholic ever since I was part of the Moab Jeep Safari back in 1977, but finally got myself an XJ a few months ago.
Once I get the motor running properly - a broken pushrod - I will be looking at tyres, lifts etc

It's a JEEP thing

Ian

access4WD
Hard Yaka

Postby access4WD » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:55 am

I have a sticker on my CJ7 Jeep 'It is a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand'
Kind of sums it up as I have 3 jeeps :) as I described on the other Jeep thread yesterday.
Paul
Access Coordinator
Combined 4WD Clubs Inc
http://www.4wd.org.nz

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:40 am

Great to see Jeepeoles coming out of the wood works. Hey, did you get that sticker from somewhere local or US?

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:24 pm

Hey hey hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TJ, I got a quote from some chaps in the US for front (winch) and rear bars for my XJ, landed on my doorstep for $1600NZD. The most expensive part was the freight............

I'll see if i can hunt up the URL. Seemed like bloody decent fellas to deal with. I'll be more than happy to give them my $$$$$$.

Ive lifted mine 3inches (Sport started 1 inch higher than the Limited. So my lift is only a 2inch if in a sport), Whacked on a Snorkle, changed the horrid limited alloy rims for Sport steel ones. Threw some 31/10.5 Maxxis Buckshots at it, flung the spare on the roof...............

I purchased it for 3k, and in total spent an additional 3k. Lift, tyres, rims and snorkle cost a total of $1800, the remaining $1200 went on dodgy matt black repaint, brake piston seals/pads, air/oil filters, getting rid of catalytic converter, alignment, adding treadplate sills, diff oil, strops/shackles, tow hooks, etc etc etc and just general maintenance costs (include serpentine belt, oil, grease blah blah)

So all in all the old girl does me good, and hasn't cost me the earth. I'd love to chuck in at least a rear lockers, and the Bars at a later date, but for the meantime she'll do.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:56 pm

How did you do your lift, did you source some coils, and leaf springs locally or did you import them.

Mine is also the Sport, interesting to compare notes

How do you mount your spare on the roof, did you make up a custom rack or ???

Cheers
Ian

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi downunderxj

I sourced the coils and leaves from a local company, and have had some right cock ups along the way (I'll not sully their name on the internet due to one shitty situation, either the retailer or the manufacturer, i'm sure that im the "1%" of clients that get pissed off).
The coils were ok, in the beginning, and the leaves were too bloody high. As it is the leaves settled to an appropiate level. First run out, the left front coil "warped" for want of a better word. The retailer contacted the manufacturer and they were replaced with another set with a thicker guage steel, so far they havent given me much bother.
all in all though, i had incorrect rears and faulty fronts..... just bloody glad that i want paying someone else to do the work, or id be out of coin.
For the shocks, I just threw in the monroe gas magnums. Considering that for only a 3 inch lift im not going to be articulating to any great lengths (or minor ones for that matter, theyre stiff buggers) i didnt consider any great need to go too flash.
Transfer case needed dropping, so i simply cut two nylon blocks out an old roller scraper blade, 3/4 inch, and got longer bolts.
Hopefully an alignment will sort out the slightly wonky steering, havent bothered about it too much as yet. My steering wheel is about 5 degrees out of kilter, due to the change in angle of the steering arm i assume.

Having said that, if i had have gotten a company to fit and supply, then it would have all been under guarantee anyway, albeit costing me a truckload more coin.

I considered doing a block lift, and in hindsight may have given it a bit more thought. As i said earlier, theyre a stiff old beast, and to get any "real" articulation out of em, you gotta do some serious work, so im not 100% convinced that for a 2-3 inch lift, that the means justify the ends in lifting with springs/shocks over blocks.

XJ's seem to have a habit of sagging in the rear, so if theyre at that point, then i guess its a no brainer, but if theyre still in good nick, then id be inclined to fully explore options.

The spare. I cut two lengths of 5mm steel 150mm w x 500mm l (or thereabouts, cant remember exactly now) and bridged them with another plate 5mm x 250mm x 700 l. So ended up with an "H". drilled 4 holes through the existing roofrack, coinciding with holes in the steel "H".
Next i cut the end off an acrow prop, flicked three studs through four of the existing holes in the prop plate (which corresponded with the stud pattern) go it welded it to the centre crossmember and bolted it to the roofrack.

Its a bit of an effort to get on and off, but frees up a heap of room in the back, and dont have to listen to the infernal squeaking of it rubbing.

Happy as to get together with any other XJers and compare notes..... get tired of listening to "Safari" this and "Safari that" ( no offense Dixie!!)
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:48 pm

TJ, how do you get on for guard clearance?

Didnt the TJ come with like 225/75/15s as factory? The tyres youve now got, coupled with a 1 inch lift cant leave too much room there???

How have the bigger tyres affected your gear ratios, if at all?
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:08 pm

I`m thinking of starting a club to ban Jeeps from NZ. What do you guys think? :lol: :roll: :wink:

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:16 pm

Go for it..... then those that own mitsi cj4b's will panic and hide, and will finally stop calling their wagons JEEP's. JEEP's dont have a bloody mitsi emblem on their fronts....

Id sacrifice my Jeep to achieve that!
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Oh - come on I was trying to start something. :(

I dont like those Mitsi pretending to be jeeps either - bloddy ugly.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:24 pm

I know you were, but its bloody hard for a person to play tennis if the other dude wont hit the ball back.

Yeah man, I dont care how well the mitsi or mahindra versions go, its all about the badge, and JEEP is a registered trademark and has never been owned by the japs or the indians.

Its all about the badge man, all aboout the badge...............
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Like my Avitar XJ - think it used to be a jeep :wink:

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:37 pm

I like your avatar a lot indeed.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Guard clearance was fine with no lift and front end connect to the sway bar with 265/75/16s. Renegades came with 16 wheels, not 15s. When I disconnected, it did rub a bit, but with an OME lift - everything is fine now.

Ã

access4WD
Hard Yaka

Postby access4WD » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:08 pm

TJ wrote:Hey, did you get that sticker from somewhere local or US?

It came from the USA but not too sure where, as a friend of mine purchased it when visiting a Jeep after market shop in LA some where.
Access Coordinator

Combined 4WD Clubs Inc

http://www.4wd.org.nz

Return to “Jeep”