Project XJ Crawler

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Re: Project XJ Crawler

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:18 pm

yeti wrote:can get yall a price on the stiffeners... but ya gonna have to ask the terrano lads about the price of blue pills..... :mrgreen:

You're glueing bits of real chassis onto a 5-gauge unibody. Thats about as f**king delusional as it gets.

And according to you, Terrano owners don't understand the true nature of the Matrix? :lol:

And that red thing clearly has Japanese axles in it, and probably transmission since the diff offset is the other way

Sorry for the thread jack.. will probably end up firing that 'What are Cherokees like to own?' thread back up

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:30 pm

lax2wlg wrote:
yeti wrote:can get yall a price on the stiffeners... but ya gonna have to ask the terrano lads about the price of blue pills..... :mrgreen:

You're glueing bits of real chassis onto a 5-gauge unibody. Thats about as f**king delusional as it gets.

And according to you, Terrano owners don't understand the true nature of the Matrix? :lol:

And that red thing clearly has Japanese axles in it, and probably transmission since the diff offset is the other way

Sorry for the thread jack.. will probably end up firing that 'What are Cherokees like to own?' thread back up

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:34 pm

righto no more hijack......dans not done cert yet .....stiffeners done with cert man kept up to date...rick in the know with that shit .....re diffs give ya a call tomorrow....

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:22 pm

lax2wlg wrote:

Think its got GQ Safari Axles.

I think us Kiwis are generally f***ed when it comes to vehicle modifications. Stiffeners clearly strengthening this type of vehicles main frame. Welding isn't an issue between thin and thicker steel unless you have a muppet welder that doesn't know the basic principles of welding to two different size materials.

I've personally got inspired by the yanks with their Jeeps and was also at the time after a larger vehicle for my dogs. My reasons for choosing a Cherokee was a cheap base platform, a huge range of modifications available from our distant neighbours, being different to the common Safari, Cruisers, Hilux's you see daily, try and inspire Jeep haters to appreciate a well-built Jeep, explore a majority of our country solo-able etc. (well that last one can be any truck built well).

Well Built Truck = Less Jandal = More Crawling = Less $$

That pretty much sums up me. :lol:

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:42 am

Well said.
There are many compelling reasons to pick the XJ. It is the most replicated SUV body style of all time, and practically invented the compact SUV segment when it was released in 1984.

The unibody stiffeners are a good idea, I was just retaliating. Yeti feels the need to continue to make these Terrano or Nissan hate insults that don't have any substance, and its causing my gayness levels to rise at an unacceptably high rate.

I'll stay off your thread unless I have something useful to add :)

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 am

lax2wlg wrote:Well said.
There are many compelling reasons to pick the XJ. It is the most replicated SUV body style of all time, and practically invented the compact SUV segment when it was released in 1984.

The unibody stiffeners are a good idea, I was just retaliating. Yeti feels the need to continue to make these Terrano or Nissan hate insults that don't have any substance, and its causing my gayness levels to rise at an unacceptably high rate.

I'll stay off your thread unless I have something useful to add :)

A little rant here and there is most welcome here, we all need one every now and then. :lol:

I've got nothing against Nissan personally. I own one and it's been reliable as hell on and offroad until having it airbourne.

I'm sure most of us here are all 4WD enthusiasts, no need to be hater against another's personal preference of vehicle choice - well cancel that it wouldn't be as fun experience without a bit of sh*t here and there. (Unless you own something along the lines of a Cube, Swift, Yaris etc.. different breed of drivers there, I can't help but want to push them out of the way (in any vehicle, not just a truck :D ) to get to my destination by at least traveling the damn speed limit).

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 am

lax2wlg wrote: and its causing my gayness levels to rise at an unacceptably high rate.

I didn't think it was possible for them to get any higher... :D

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 pm

zukmeista wrote:I didn't think it was possible for them to get any higher... :D

Weird. Thats exactly what your Mum said last night when she was teabagging me.

XJCrawler wrote:I'm sure most of us here are all 4WD enthusiasts, no need to be hater against another's personal preference of vehicle choice - well cancel that it wouldn't be as fun experience without a bit of sh*t here

You're right. I had a bit of a bitch moment and took it too personally. :oops: Yeti is a good guy Image

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sat May 03, 2014 8:30 am

lax2wlg wrote:
zukmeista wrote:I didn't think it was possible for them to get any higher... :D

Weird. Thats exactly what your Mum said last night when she was teabagging me.

That might be believable but for the fact you're a raging homo, heard you and philip121 are getting busy, good match cos you both have shitbox terranos, he has so many questions and you have all the answers cos you know EVERYTHING... :mrgreen:

Anyway thats enough, sorry for the thread derailment XJCrawler :oops: Good to see someone modding an XJ, one of the best value 4WD's around IMO. Can't beat having endless aftermarket parts available :mrgreen:

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Wow so ah this update is long overdue, apologies for the delays. Been in renovation mode.

Couple updates:
Messed up the attempt at getting the diff angle right, miles off..
Shocks don't seem to work with this kit.

Jeeps now in with a real mechanic and needs quite few changes made in the front re- track bar. Currently getting parts for a WJ conversion.

Enjoy the now old photos :lol:
Attachments
P1010155.JPG
P1010156.JPG
P1010157.JPG
P1010158.JPG
P1010159.JPG

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Some more... of the f*ck up. :roll:
Attachments
P1010160.JPG
P1010161.JPG
P1010162.JPG
P1010163.JPG
P1010164.JPG

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 pm

And some more.
Attachments
P1010166.JPG
P1010167.JPG
P1010168.JPG
P1010169.JPG
P1010170.JPG

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:43 pm

And her she is released out of my small little garage and on it's way to a real mechanic to be finished.
Attachments
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Gunna need some big tahs to fill the holes in those guards :mrgreen: But will look good with some decent rubber under it.

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 pm

zukmeista wrote:Gunna need some big tahs to fill the holes in those guards :mrgreen: But will look good with some decent rubber under it.

On to that already, but will need a mass guard chop still.

Decided to order 17x9 inch beadlock rims, will be importing these from the states, and have decided to run 37" tyres and push the upgraded Dana 30 to it's limits. Oh and mechanic found the rear axles were f*cked, so upgrading those to a Yukon Ultimate 88 Kit, least the rear will handle the tyres :lol:

WJ Hub Carriers arrived today. Got the caliper mounts, so just to pick up the calipers tomorrow and drop all off to the mechanics tomorrow. Hopefully will have good progress and some more updates by the end of next week or early next month.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Mate, shes gonna be HUGE. Awesome :D Loving the old school stick welding............ brings back memories :mrgreen:

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:53 pm

looking forward to the wj front end changes ......gonna do the same me thinks ......... :mrgreen:

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:06 pm

tomsoffroad wrote:Mate, shes gonna be HUGE. Awesome :D Loving the old school stick welding............ brings back memories :mrgreen:

Yeah huge for a Jeep Cherokee lol, might not look like much next to your toy :lol:

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Here's some photos of some progress over the weekend, nothing major just took the airbags and module out. Some extra photos there too.
Attachments
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Putting back together again. Need to get the SRS Airbag logos off the passenger cover and steering wheel cover before I put them back on.
Attachments
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Lying in bed browsing bits on the IPad couldn't help but order some more bits. Lol
Attachments
parts.png
parts2.png

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Update: Still waiting on Beadlock Rims, looks like it's going to take a total of 8 weeks from the time I've ordered them to be made. Wish I didn't put a deposit down on it.

Anyway, messing round a bit with some tyres as seen in pics below. I'm going to run 37's again, i'll just be gentle to the Super D30 :D
Attachments
IMG_0239 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0238 (600x800).jpg
IMG_0237 (800x600).jpg

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Sorry I haven't been on here for quite some time. The build is coming together slowly, it should be drive-able this time end of next week with the drivetrain completed.

I have 100% scraped the RHD over the knuckle steering kit from IRO, and gone with a custom setup. (Will have to do a write up for this, it appears to be a successful upgrade for those wanting less of those horrible drag-link and trackbar angles you get using the stock mounting locations - To follow).

I've attached my most recent photo of her which is from about three weeks ago.
Attachments
IMG_0032.JPG

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Looking cool fella (and if you tell anyone I said that about a jeep I'll make you drive a terrano :mrgreen: )
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Looking cool fella (and if you tell anyone I said that about a jeep I'll make you drive a terrano :mrgreen: )

When's the shake down?

Could do a combined one on worsleys with Kaney and maybe my pos (if I get my shit together and jezza gets the fuel tank sorted in time) Weekend after our next holiday in Caterbury.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST. I still don't like the new look ORE!
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:55 pm

rokhound wrote:When's the shake down?

and maybe my pos (if I get my shit together and jezza gets the fuel tank sorted in time) Weekend after our next holiday in Caterbury.

:shock: :mrgreen: :twisted:

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:36 pm

That is looking very nice.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:16 am

rokhound wrote:Looking cool fella (and if you tell anyone I said that about a jeep I'll make you drive a terrano :mrgreen: )

When's the shake down?

Could do a combined one on worsleys with Kaney and maybe my pos (if I get my shit together and jezza gets the fuel tank sorted in time) Weekend after our next holiday in Caterbury.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST. I still don't like the new look ORE!

Thanks guys.

I won't need to tell anyone by the looks of it, rokhound :lol:

I should have it sitting round on the sidelines of the NZ1 next weekend watching the big boys. :D

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:07 pm

I heard ya are entered in it.......... :wink:

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:09 pm

TJ wrote:That is looking very nice.

x2

One way to check the strain on the unibody of these vehicles when lifted is to park it on some undulated terrain where both ends are articulating to at least half of their max travel, then get out and try to open and close all doors (including the tailgate). Also check the panel gaps.

If the doors don't open/close cleanly as they normally should then I would personally look into the unibody stiffener idea.

Good work keep it up

Return to “Jeep”