Project XJ Crawler

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Re: Project XJ Crawler

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:50 pm

4x4part wrote:
XJCrawler wrote:RHD track bar and bracket arrived yesterday

can you let me no if it fits they are having problems with the track bar fitting with out hitting anything its when you have the wheel turned all the way to the left they mainly having the problem with the rhd over the nucle steering sistom hitting the track bar

How have you overcome it?

I think even the factory steering setup with the IRO kit installed gets in the way of the track bar when fully drooped and hard locked, have to add a 5 deg bend to the draglink

4x4part
Bush Crasher

Postby 4x4part » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 pm

im waiting for them to fix it they trying to get hold of a right hand drive jeep if it hits with factory steering it will hit more with over the nuckle steering

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:36 am

4x4part wrote:im waiting for them to fix it they trying to get hold of a right hand drive jeep if it hits with factory steering it will hit more with over the nuckle steering

So they sell a RHD track bar and bracket, and a RHD over the knuckle steering kit and haven't tested them? Find that to be a bit hard to believe, specially after seeing the quality parts they provide.

Sure you haven't been given a LHD over the knuckle steering?

4x4part
Bush Crasher

Postby 4x4part » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 pm

they have gave me 3 track bars now one fit the factory steering and the other 2 track bars to try get the over the knuckle steering they emailed me the other day they are having some issues they trying get a rhd jeep to check the bend i have sent them endless photos

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:35 pm

I'll get back to working on my Jeep next weekend, should have an idea of how it all sits together then.

I've had a very long 3 week honeymoon. Miss the Jeep a lot, quietly :lol:

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:22 am

congrats on the wedding mate...gives a yell when back....
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm back. Had a great time. First weekend back and decided to have the Sunday working on the Jeep.

New beefy over the knuckle steering installed. So far I can't see this being an issue with the track bar, the clearances seem fine to me, plenty there as you can see in the photos further on.
Attachments
P1010140.JPG
A starter shot to get back in to the project.
P1010142.JPG
Full frontal nude of steering linkages.
P1010141.JPG
Front under carriage shot before starting.
Last edited by XJCrawler on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:17 pm

So I have actually bought a half decent camera now, so I hope the photos are a lot better for everyone.

These shots are the preparation of the kit. Didn't involve too much, you'll see I got messy with the anti-seize compound. The step by step instructions provided with the kit made this a breeze.
Attachments
P1010139.JPG
Close up of the sphere rods.
P1010138.JPG
And another.
P1010137.JPG
Components on the outdoor work bench on the driveway.

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Photos of the new steering kit bolted up on the truck.
Attachments
P1010144.JPG
A shot showing some of the clearances and angles of the new steering components.
P1010145.JPG
A more overall shot showing the clearances between all of the components. Plenty of clearance between the tie rod and the trackbar.
P1010146.JPG
Apologies, this one come up a little unfocused. This shot shows the over the knuckle tie rod with the drag link on the bottom of the knuckle.
P1010147.JPG
A close up shot of the draglink at the pitman arm end. This shows the double adjustable adaptor.

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:31 pm

A couple more shots showing a location I've chosen at random for the steering dampener (please comment if you think it's not an ideal position). Also a general shot from the front after it's mostly all installed.

I did start working on the rear again. The Ford 8.8 is roughly aligned within .5mm, angle is roughly set. Just got to get a better measuring tool for setting the alignment as I did use a tape to set it roughly in the right place. All going well plan will be to have the ford diff leaf perches welded on completely, and possibly the shock mounts too by next weekend. However I've got an issue with snapped bolt where I think I'm going to have weld a plate with a stud coming off to suit. I'll replicate the same on the other side since I'm fussy like that. (except snapping the bolt).
Attachments
P1010148.JPG
A look from the driver side of the vehicle down toward the steering dampener.
P1010150.JPG
Steering dampener rough position.
P1010149.JPG
A final shot of the kit the installed.

4x4part
Bush Crasher

Postby 4x4part » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm

can you put a photo up for me of it on full lock to the left i want to compare to mine if you can could you put some whate on the axle as if it had wheels on. this is a photo of mine you will see the problems im having i have.
Attachments
046.jpg
043.jpg
053.jpg

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 pm

I need to try it when it's on the ground, but I've loaded the axle up and full locked left and I've got an inch clearance between the track bar and tie rod. It does however get really close to the factory mount for the sway bar, like 2mm of gap

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm

XJCrawler wrote:I need to try it when it's on the ground, but I've loaded the axle up and full locked left and I've got an inch clearance between the track bar and tie rod. It does however get really close to the factory mount for the sway bar, like 2mm of gap

On that note I still need the caster to be set, diff aligned, and a wheel alignment.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 pm

XJCrawler wrote:On that note I still need the caster to be set, diff aligned, and a wheel alignment.

And to put the locknut on your adjustable track bar :wink:

Looking good

With all this radius arm talk lately its cool to see a factory linked front suspension. Its possible that the XJ Quadra-link is the best off-road performing factory front suspension system of its era.

4x4part
Bush Crasher

Postby 4x4part » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:07 pm

my jeep is 6.5 inch lifted

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 pm

lax2wlg wrote:
XJCrawler wrote:On that note I still need the caster to be set, diff aligned, and a wheel alignment.

And to put the locknut on your adjustable track bar :wink:

Looking good

With all this radius arm talk lately its cool to see a factory linked front suspension. Its possible that the XJ Quadra-link is the best off-road performing factory front suspension system of its era.

Thanks for the reminder!

They wouldn't be without the wide range of aftermarket options, they don't appear to articulate well factory. They are well balanced overall though, love how they sit so flat even when they are driving over a hole, dip, up a rock

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:45 pm

Is that Golden Crack in Moab?

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 am

lax2wlg wrote:Is that Golden Crack in Moab?

Yeah, I'd say many Jeeps have crossed that crack. :lol:

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:41 am

Rear diffs aligned, pinion degree set, leaf perches tacked. Shock mounts go on today. Photos to come

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 am

Anyone got any options for removing ABS from an XJ Cherokee and swapping to a Non-ABS by swapping the prop. valve and hardlines (looks like i'd have to import this way)? Or is just pulling the fuse legit for certification?

4x4part
Bush Crasher

Postby 4x4part » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 pm

i replaced it with a non ABS sistom from a 95 cherokee and joined some brake hoses mine looks it never had ABS mine is back to good old manual braking. :lol:

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:30 pm

4x4part wrote:i replaced it with a non ABS sistom from a 95 cherokee and joined some brake hoses mine looks it never had ABS mine is back to good old manual braking. :lol:

What year is your Cherokee? because i'm not sure the lines are the same on a 97+ face lift non abs model as a non abs pre 97 cherokee.

4x4part
Bush Crasher

Postby 4x4part » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 pm

mines is 96 they should be the same shouldnt they

BlackXJ
Stropper

Postby BlackXJ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am

I lifted my XJ a few years ago with a 6.5 Rough Country kit. I had one 'hell of a job' getting it certified, due to the angles of the draglink and panhard bar setting.

The only steering component I used from the RC kit was the Pitman arm. Everything else caused alignment / cert issues.

I had to fab up a new panhard bar bracket, custom panhard bar, re-mounted the panhard bar on the diff, OTK swap for the drag link bar, and tiered end. Re-located the steering damper. Mods went on, and on...

Offroad driving will cause big stresses on the XJ steering. I have had to brace the steering box, and brace the draglink bar bracket. If your draglink bar bracket isn't braced, it could tear off, and causing massive damage to the unibody rail.

If you need photos of my setup, I will gladly put some up.
[url][URL=http://s988.photobucket.com/user/theolebill/media/2a6c99d8-ca07-4dee-9664-eca5970e9baf.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:51 am

BlackXJ wrote:I lifted my XJ a few years ago with a 6.5 Rough Country kit. I had one 'hell of a job' getting it certified, due to the angles of the draglink and panhard bar setting.

The only steering component I used from the RC kit was the Pitman arm. Everything else caused alignment / cert issues.

I had to fab up a new panhard bar bracket, custom panhard bar, re-mounted the panhard bar on the diff, OTK swap for the drag link bar, and tiered end. Re-located the steering damper. Mods went on, and on...

Offroad driving will cause big stresses on the XJ steering. I have had to brace the steering box, and brace the draglink bar bracket. If your draglink bar bracket isn't braced, it could tear off, and causing massive damage to the unibody rail.

If you need photos of my setup, I will gladly put some up.
[url][URL=http://s988.photobucket.com/user/theolebill/media/2a6c99d8-ca07-4dee-9664-eca5970e9baf.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]

Quite different underneath to mine. I've read about the steering box needing to be braced was looking at this http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant ... y_Code=PFX in my last shipment but don't think it will suit RHD, i'll have my fabricator make something for me.

Steering, I'm no expert but the closer the track bar (panhard rod) and the drag link are running parallel to each other on the same angle the better.

I'm not sure what you mean with the draglink, as this is bolted to the pitman arm and the knuckle off the hub, how will this affect the unirail, or how will it even break? it's an aftermarket one solid as hell. I couldn't see IRO giving products that will just shear off doing some offroading. All the factory steering arms are no longer on my XJ.

All i can think of is that you're suggesting to mount the steering dampner off the draglink rather than the tie rod?

BlackXJ
Stropper

Postby BlackXJ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:17 pm

My apologies XJcrawler, I meant to say that the new Panhard (not drag link) Bar Bracket is longer that the stock bracket, to allow the Panhard to be at a lower angle, and due to this longer length, it is prone to tearing of the unibody.

I will take photos of the bracket I made for my XJ over the weekend. I just don't want you to suffer the same issues I had to contend with.

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:25 pm

BlackXJ wrote:My apologies XJcrawler, I meant to say that the new Panhard (not drag link) Bar Bracket is longer that the stock bracket, to allow the Panhard to be at a lower angle, and due to this longer length, it is prone to tearing of the unibody.

I will take photos of the bracket I made for my XJ over the weekend. I just don't want you to suffer the same issues I had to contend with.

Yeah no fair enough too. Are you allowed to weld aftermarket brackets to the unibody; I mean i'm wanting to put unibody stiffeners on mine anyway to strengthen the whole unibody, but the welding to it is a bit of a grey area. Here's a pic of mine:
Attachments
bracket.JPG
bracket.JPG (27.8 KiB) Viewed 5200 times

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:41 pm

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14 pm

can be made here the stiffeners and no blue pill needed....

dans got em welded to unibody on that piece of art..... :wink:

can get yall a price on the stiffeners...

hows the fence building going james.... :D
Last edited by yeti on Sat May 03, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 pm

yeti wrote:can be made here the stiffeners and no blue pill needed....

dans got em welded to unibody on that piece of art..... :wink:

can get yall a price on the stiffeners... but ya gonna have to ask the terrano lads about the price of blue pills..... :mrgreen:

hows the fence building going james.... :D

Did his Jeep get certed in the end?

Yeah keen on price for stiffeners.

Fence all done. Bathroom renovations still going, ready for me to tile the shower this weekend hopefully.

One day on the Jeep, it will be ready for the diffs to be done, front diff alignment and wheel alignment. Just haven't had time to get some quotes; not too keen on diff shop after some of the feedback from other. I'm keen to go anywhere that will stand by their work and warrant any failures and replace any broken parts if their install was done incorrectly (I guess whoever has that insurance cover) - so open to suggestions.

Return to “Jeep”