Buying a Jeep Cherokee

Ben B
Stropper

Buying a Jeep Cherokee

Postby Ben B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi all im looking at buying a jeep cherokee for 4wding and weekends away with my two young boys it wil be used only for that as i have a diesel light truck for work so not worried about economy will be looking at a mild lift and some good mud tyres.im looking at spending up too 5k and with under 200ks what should i be looking at mechinically and rust wise with these trucks any information would be appreciated and im auckland based.

Thanks for any help Ben

yeti
Bruiser

Re: Buying a Jeep Cherokee

Postby yeti » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 pm

have a look through these pages ..couple of post about them ....

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... m.php?f=32
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

fish
Hard Yaka

Postby fish » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Look for rust at the top of all pillars. And look for any potential over heating. Radiator ect. Mine had these faults. Pretty robust wagon tho and easy to work on. Extremely capable as a stock truck. There is a bigillion aftermarket crap for them on ebay too.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

Make sure the trans has been serviced regularly, they are expensive to fix if they die. Also check to see if the rear main seal is leaking, big job to fix.

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:30 pm

xj trans r cheap ..after market oil cooler sort the heat thing out ...rear main seal easy as its a 2 piece seal ...done both .....in fact not much I haven't fixed swapped out killed, on them there jeep things ..... :wink:

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:20 pm

yeti wrote:xj trans r cheap ..after market oil cooler sort the heat thing out ...rear main seal easy as its a 2 piece seal ...done both .....in fact not much I haven't fixed swapped out killed, on them there jeep things ..... :wink:

my rear main seal is gone, Wayne, but my dopey mechanics reckoned it was a big job dropping the sump out and the trans. they just making it sound tedious because it is 2 piece?

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:14 am

XJCrawler wrote:
yeti wrote:xj trans r cheap ..after market oil cooler sort the heat thing out ...rear main seal easy as its a 2 piece seal ...done both .....in fact not much I haven't fixed swapped out killed, on them there jeep things ..... :wink:

my rear main seal is gone, Wayne, but my dopey mechanics reckoned it was a big job dropping the sump out and the trans. they just making it sound tedious because it is 2 piece?

yep can do....just sump off jobbie .... have a yarn to ya when round next

cornflake
Hard Yaka

Postby cornflake » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:37 pm

we selling one for 3g tiny bit of rust nuffing a welder can fix just hit 109000 kms

Big Kev
Driver/Navigator

Postby Big Kev » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 pm

What are these things like fuel wise , I drive from Ruakaka to Auckland once a month & the rest of the time jut pop to the local shops 2 or 3 times a week

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:40 pm

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:13 am

If you drive like there is a big nail under the accelerator then they aren't too bad as they are quite light for their size, if you floor it watch the fuel guage go down as fast as the speedo goes up... :lol:

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Thinking about it my safari is just as costly to run as my Cherokee by the time you add in the 5k km services, ruc; so it doesn't feel so bad to me. Although the cherokee hasn't been reliable since I first got it, had many problems in the first few months of owning it, so I would probably be careful on what you pick. I was just set on a certain model and year with lowish kms so I didn't give myself enough selection prior to buying.

Ben B
Stropper

Postby Ben B » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Well i finially brought one 95 xj 3inch lift worn 31's brought cheep, but needs a bit of work.
Firstly i need to replace all the fluids so any advice on quanitys and type would be helpful.
Secondly the previous owner said the front diff was noisey and on its way out.
Thirdly the 4wd selector is not conected to linkage under truck and will not move ? and what looks like solendoids at rear
have had white wires cut off.
i hope ive explained this accurately and any suggestions would be great from those who know jeeps.
Or a good jeep mechanic in the auckland area.

Thanks in advance for your replies Ben

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:49 am

Mechanic go and see Central Motoring 30 Pollen Street in Grey Lynn. 09 360 7292
Very knowledgeable on Jeeps.

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:46 pm

just under 6 litres with the filter, i used a flash synthetic in my bush truck ,my roofless xj runs cat diesel oil ,auto just takes normal atf, front diff is probaly just bearings,parts are dirt cheap so dont worry if you need a frontdiff.just hook the 4wd lever back up and will be sweet,just make sure you adjust it so you can select lo.a good basic 4x4 that dollar for dollar will outperform most .motor and box is pretty much bulletproof, weakest thing ive found is the front diff, took 33s and lots of roughness to break,i just welded mine up rather than put my spare in, going to jap diffs eventually, only as bad on fuel as you make it.first thing i did on mine was bonnet vent and moved the air intake.

Ben B
Stropper

Postby Ben B » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:16 pm

image.jpg
Thanks for advice front diff making strange noise have found a replacement for $150 so will try and swap it over next weekend, what do I need to know any top tricks ? and how long will it take with two of us at it ?

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:36 pm

always liked the look of these nice purchase :) cant help much with the diff good luck

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Ben B wrote:
image.jpg
Thanks for advice front diff making strange noise have found a replacement for $150 so will try and swap it over next weekend, what do I need to know any top tricks ? and how long will it take with two of us at it ?

do the seals why ya have diff out ............this write up is a easy how to,, save the site

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm

get em here

http://www.offroadspecialties.co.nz/node/167

jeep life eh........ :wink:

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:57 pm

fh2014 wrote:always liked the look of these nice purchase :) cant help much with the diff good luck

Ditto, even with just 31s they look good with factory rims

Ben B
Stropper

Postby Ben B » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi All,
Been busy working on jeep and still havent managed to get transfer case engaging well ?
1 - it seams very stiff is this ussual
2 - i cant adjust the linkages so all modes can be engaged and often gets stuck in one setting.

I see there are 2 adjustmentrs for linkages where to start ? or could the transfer case be stuffed ?

Also what mud tyres work best on these jeeps and why ?

Thanks for any and all reply. Ben

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:31 am

Ben B wrote:Hi All,
Been busy working on jeep and still havent managed to get transfer case engaging well ?
1 - it seams very stiff is this ussual
2 - i cant adjust the linkages so all modes can be engaged and often gets stuck in one setting.

I see there are 2 adjustmentrs for linkages where to start ? or could the transfer case be stuffed ?

Also what mud tyres work best on these jeeps and why ?

Thanks for any and all reply. Ben

I think they just get a bit seized up when they're not used much, I find mine has trouble disengaging and always winds up a little so find myself reversing, driving forward and turning round in circles to hop/spin it out.. must be a Jeep thing tho haha.

I'd choose a tyre that suits the terrain you drive on or like to drive on the most. I personally steer away from mud wherever possible so any kind of aggressive mud tyre like simex's and silverstones are out of the question for me.

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:25 pm

with the tyres it all depends on what sort of driving are you doing,and what sort of ground your on,remember the cherokee is quite light and will spin the tyres easily, i just run 32inch radial mud tyres , nothing aggressive as mainly pumice and ash around me, in the mud it will easily pull 2nd or 3rd wheel spinning,

Ben B
Stropper

Postby Ben B » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi all, Re tyres im affter mud tyres it my second truck, need to know what bags well on these light trucks and
at at a reasonable price its not going to do a lot of ks but still need to get there. im looking at 31s
what are you all running ?

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:40 am

Ben B wrote:Hi all, Re tyres im affter mud tyres it my second truck, need to know what bags well on these light trucks and
at at a reasonable price its not going to do a lot of ks but still need to get there. im looking at 31s
what are you all running ?

go buy latest nz4wd mag ,write up in there on new tahs just brought for there project xj and reasons why...

Return to “Jeep”