New to Jeeps, what are they like to own?

bob_or_jim
Hard Yaka

Re: New to Jeeps, what are they like to own?

Postby bob_or_jim » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:11 am

Cant help but subscribe to this.

Carry on people..........

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 am

Listen to people that have or still own them, I put off getting mine because of what i had been told and read on the web, had mine for a few years now as a off road 4wd only and it is great, beat the shit out of it on 33s and havnt broken anything,cps been the only prob and they are 10 bucks us on amazon, only as bad on fuel as your foot makes them, cheap as shit for parts, just bought another dereg one for 300 this week which I'm stripping down to run as a class 2 off-roader .

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sat May 10, 2014 6:27 am

haters be hating ...unless ya owned one the pos go all right ....33s easy in the slops or rivers down here comes down to driving styles :shock:

ricks stocker ......gives it death ...... :lol: :lol:

my dana 30 ....killed through driving styles......... :mrgreen:

sav never killed one when peddling it...... 8)........less right boot more pick ya lines ......(note to self ..must practice what ya preach :oops: )
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Sat May 10, 2014 5:01 pm

O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat May 10, 2014 5:42 pm

This thread need some more shit stirring so I offer this morsel for no reason other than to inflame the whole situation and to rain shit down apon myself from all the Jeepers on ORE :twisted: .

Owning a Jeep is like running in the special olympics...Even if you win you are still Rtarded.

Now back to business. :mrgreen:

I cant offer an opinon on how they go but will admit to having seen some great feats of offroading in what looked to be std wagons, but I could also say the same about a lot of wagons.

Basic rules about buying apply here

Do your homework, taylor your ride to your needs and maybe build in a little insurance (The arguement that it will never be used for serious offroading or heavy towing lasts until you really need to get somewhere or have to tow someones junk somewhere). Fuel figures etc are helpful but not an indication of actual fuel use (my holden ute is supposed to use 11.4Lt per 100Kms (factory figures) but it regularly gets 9.5Lts per 100). Listen to advice from owners, have a chat with mechanics (not the dealers they tend to lie a little), check out availability of parts etc.

Remember opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one and some just plain stink.

Seat time is best. If you are driving on road get in a sit in one, is it comfortable, are the controls within reach etc. And drive one for a while too. Actually drive a few of the same one if possible (some dont drive like others - been fecked with).

End of the day Get what you want and what fits your needs and what feels good to drive. :wink:

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Sat May 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Owning a Jeep is like running in the special olympics...Even if you win you are still Rtarded

Tall poppy syndrome... much...?
O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat May 10, 2014 7:29 pm

00falcon wrote:
Owning a Jeep is like running in the special olympics...Even if you win you are still Rtarded

Tall poppy syndrome... much...?

Nah, I just like shit stiring. And I'm only 5'7ish so no way I'm tall.

I dont follow any particular Marque of 4wd or car either (maybe slightly biased towards zooks - first truck always have a soft spot for them). I figure get the best vehicle for your needs and what suits your life style/ budget and forget about the badge on the front. Oh yeah and never take your self to seriously (unless you are a range rover owner - then its compulsory to be serious :wink: )

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat May 10, 2014 9:08 pm

re; The headlight switch, very common on mass produced American cars, it is an old fashioned design from the 1950s which uses a push button on the switch body. Archaic but takes about 3 seconds to remove.

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Sat May 10, 2014 11:10 pm

I dont follow any particular Marque of 4wd or car eithe

Neither do I really... I'll have a beer with anyone...

But for arguments sake... JEEP...!
O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sun May 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Any comments on the newer JK Wranglers? Petrol vs Diesel, Auto vs Manual? (mainly for reliability)
Would be used occasionally off road, but mainly a daily driver

Cheers

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 pm

DaveM wrote:Any comments on the newer JK Wranglers? Petrol vs Diesel, Auto vs Manual? (mainly for reliability)

Cheers

It would be easier to start a separate thread on this. I'm assuming you are not looking at a Rubicon, they never came in diesel. Also with petrol are you talking about new Pentastar 3.6l with 205 kW or the older 3.8l engine.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sun May 11, 2014 7:42 pm

TJ wrote:
DaveM wrote:Any comments on the newer JK Wranglers? Petrol vs Diesel, Auto vs Manual? (mainly for reliability)

Cheers

It would be easier to start a separate thread on this. I'm assuming you are not looking at a Rubicon, they never came in diesel. Also with petrol are you talking about new Pentastar 3.6l with 205 kW or the older 3.8l engine.

Yeah, sorry, didn't read the first post properly, thought it was a general question regarding Jeeps

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon May 12, 2014 8:49 pm

DaveM wrote:Yeah, sorry, didn't read the first post properly, thought it was a general question regarding Jeeps

Have you test driven one? They are very different from TJs in feel and drive.

mongoose007
Driver/Navigator

Postby mongoose007 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:15 pm

So bit of an update... based on this thread and other research I found a nicely kitted out xj down south, with all the bells n whistles which I put in an offer and got accepted. Long story short he got a better offer the day before I was going to fly down, so went back on the hunt again.

In the end, I decided bugger it, I'd rather have something that's capable for my needs and the others can go walk. So here I am with a 2005 TJ 2 door, which I'm loving.

Pretty much stock, manual and pretty tidy (the guy I bought it from fitted offroad tyres, so at least it's got that!). I've got a winch sitting around that I was going to put on the Terrano, going to make up a plate mount for the jeep when I've got some time, and got all the other stuff. I'm keen to do a suspension lift (2" maybe?) but that'll have to wait a while 'cos I'll want to do springs + shocks, which'll cost a bit more than I can shell out at the moment.

So far I've done a drive round the Wellington south coast, and a few other smaller trips. Fuel economy.... lets say I still ride my motorbike to work unless it's really really pissing it down :P

Generally pretty reliable, looks dead easy to work on (assuming the bolts aren't too rusty). So far, ironically, the only problem I've had is with the UJ's ('sparrows), and the fact that it's so darn cold in the evenings.

Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone, hopefully see y'all out on the trails not too far away :)

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:49 am

Great. Any photos?

fish
Hard Yaka

Postby fish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:48 pm

ive had an xj, and now own a zj. the xj was more fun to bash about and you can build them up prett easy. but i love my zj more. i found a tsi model in good nick and low ks. its a luxury suv for 5k, cant get that with any other truck, except maybe a range, but screw that.
jeeps rule.

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:49 am

I've had my 03 tj for nearly two months now and it still makes me grin like a little school girl every time I get in it. I've taken it off road twice now (it's still stock standard and on at's) and it's done amazingly well. Only had to be towed due to loss of traction and the occasional bellying. Fuel economy is about 12l per 100kms but that all depends on how hard I push her. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and it is safe to say that I have been bitten by the bug, I am a jeepoholic :)
Let's get a little mud on the tires - Brad Paisley

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:29 am

wranglerbabe wrote:I've had my 03 tj for nearly two months now and it still makes me grin like a little school girl every time I get in it. I've taken it off road twice now (it's still stock standard and on at's) and it's done amazingly well. Only had to be towed due to loss of traction and the occasional bellying. Fuel economy is about 12l per 100kms but that all depends on how hard I push her. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and it is safe to say that I have been bitten by the bug, I am a jeepoholic :)

Yes I must say that not only has Wranglerbabe been bitten I 2 have. I've had mine for about a month longer than WB and I must say that it is fun everyday - I drive Hamilton to huntly and back everyday in Rocksta (Named by 9yr old as it eats Rocks for breakie) but change tyres and she's all fun. I definitely have FUN TIMES in my Jeep.
Attachments
Jeep.jpg
Jeep.jpg (30.41 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:56 pm

In essence the last two posts are exactly what you want to feel when you drive your vehicle. If it makes you feel good or you enjoy driving it then it doesnt matter if its a daihatsu charade or a full blown hummer.

Sometimes its less about the capabilities and more about the fun and enjoyment you get from daily driving. :mrgreen:

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Heath wrote:In essence the last two posts are exactly what you want to feel when you drive your vehicle. If it makes you feel good or you enjoy driving it then it doesnt matter if its a daihatsu charade or a full blown hummer.

Sometimes its less about the capabilities and more about the fun and enjoyment you get from daily driving. :mrgreen:

It is basically this principal that made me decide to bite the bullet and buy my tj. The joy I feel when I get behind the wheel beats any negatives it might have as a vehicle, not that I've managed to find any but I am byast :)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:47 pm

Cool photo of the stock suspension system working in the rock lobster too

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 am

lax2wlg wrote:Cool photo of the stock suspension system working in the rock lobster too

Hi lax2wlg - If you are talking about my little Rocksta ^ then it isn't standard, lift kit, Long arm kit detachable swing arm. Nothing major but not standard. Sitting on 33's for dirt.

Here is a picture on my road tyres
Attachments
jeep online.jpg
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Oh, right... :oops:
From here it just looks like a standard one on 31s with swaybar disconnects (the first photo).

Long arm in the rear? Surely that pic is not at full extension?

Whats a detachable swing arm? I thought swing arms disappeared with the VW Beetle :lol:

Are you running 33x10.5 KMs?

Cool. Very cool.

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:15 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Oh, right... :oops:
From here it just looks like a standard one on 31s with swaybar disconnects (the first photo).

Long arm in the rear? Surely that pic is not at full extension?

Whats a detachable swing arm? I thought swing arms disappeared with the VW Beetle :lol:

Are you running 33x10.5 KMs?

Cool. Very cool.

No not full extension just the biggest horse jump we had in our paddock. Sorry I meant sway bar (Just sold my Challenger Offroader so still talking VW Beetle stuff)

May see you on the track one day.
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 pm

[quote=Are you running 33x10.5 KMs?

Cool. Very cool.[/quote]

Running 33x12.5/15
She is fun to drive but I am still limited to my ability not the vehicles :D
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:43 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Cool photo of the stock suspension system working in the rock lobster too

This one is stock standard on 16" AT's after an awesome day at Woodhill. There's not much they can't get through with no upgrades...

Jeep.jpg

XJCrawler
Hard Yaka

Postby XJCrawler » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Cheers

If it were me a newer auto Rubicon would be sweet. Might be a touch more expensive to run than the other JK models being a lower ratio through the drivetrain. Can't say I personally know what they are like in reliability since I don't own one, but I'm sure it's just comes back to regular maintenance and how you drive it. Huge selection of aftermarket parts too from our long distance neighbours if need be anyway. These are our future trucks, even when they do go IFS I'm sure there will be a ready available SBA conversion kits to follow from that huge range of manufacturers they have in their heartland.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:09 pm

XJCrawler wrote:

Cheers

If it were me a newer auto Rubicon would be sweet. Might be a touch more expensive to run than the other JK models being a lower ratio through the drivetrain. Can't say I personally know what they are like in reliability since I don't own one, but I'm sure it's just comes back to regular maintenance and how you drive it. Huge selection of aftermarket parts too from our long distance neighbours if need be anyway. These are our future trucks, even when they do go IFS I'm sure there will be a ready available SBA conversion kits to follow from that huge range of manufacturers they have in their heartland.

After driving my JK for a 5 months now, I would say go with 2012+ JK with a 3.6 V6 Pentastar engine. Its 205 kW of fun. Auto is 5 speed, with tiptronic selector that locks it in any gear manually. If you go with a Rubicon, then 4.10 diff ratios and 4.10 transfer case (in 4Low) with 32" factory tyres gives a final drive ratio of 58:1. That is tractor crawl speed. But put it in 2H and floor the pedal, you get to 70 km/hr very quickly in the first gear before the auto upshifts. Rubicon comes with other goodies as well, like front Dana 44 and heavier rear Dana 44 both with factory electric lockers. Plus driveshafts run 1350 u-joints (not 1310 u-joints). Everything is heavier spec.

Driving in normal conditions, my fuel consumption has been:

- 10.5L / 100kms = Open road / Motorway driving
- 14.5L / 100kms = Mixed Motorway / City driving
- 18.5L / 100kms = City driving only (the bloody thing drives in 3rd gear at 50km/hr - :-))

Its the most civilised Jeep I have driven so far. Those fuel numbers are better than my Grand Cherokee running a V8. My plan is to keep it clean till the TJ is alive and working. Once TJ dies a natural death in a few years, JK would be old enough to replace it. Till then, it will do fine for my daily driving. I was very fortunate to get a good deal on it in a private sale. Rubicons don't come up for sale too often in 2-door version, but when they do they sell quickly.

Return to “Jeep”