First mechanical mission - brakes

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

First mechanical mission - brakes

Postby wranglerbabe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 pm

So tomorrow I am embarking on my first mechanical mission. My passengers side brake caliper is sticking and attempting to melt itself. Poor jeep tried to pull me off the road on the way out to raglan this morning. So I will pick up some brake cleaner and some more fluid and then into pulling things apart and cleaning everything and then will bleed everything. May as well do the lot while I'm under there :)
So I am posting this on the off chance that someone out there has some useful information they might like to share... Cheers in advance :)
Let's get a little mud on the tires - Brad Paisley

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Re: First mechanical mission - brakes

Postby Tonkatoy. » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:36 pm

wranglerbabe wrote:So tomorrow I am embarking on my first mechanical mission. My passengers side brake caliper is sticking and attempting to melt itself. Poor jeep tried to pull me off the road on the way out to raglan this morning. So I will pick up some brake cleaner and some more fluid and then into pulling things apart and cleaning everything and then will bleed everything. May as well do the lot while I'm under there :)
So I am posting this on the off chance that someone out there has some useful information they might like to share... Cheers in advance :)

I would help if I wasn't going bush (PS My parts arrived today so it will be a late night tonight replacing pinion seal) anyway back to point. Ring Dom and tell him to get his butt round to your place and he can help you. :lol: :lol:
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:55 pm

It could need a new piston or sliders fitted so make sure you can still get around if you have your brakes apart. I've had to rangi it into town with a line clamp on one brake line before because the caliper was worse than I thought.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 pm

wranglerbabe wrote: So I am posting this on the off chance that someone out there has some useful information they might like to share... Cheers in advance :)

if your checking and servicing one calliper you might as well do all 4 for piece of mind :D the others are often in a similar condition to the one that's sticking, make sure all the pistons are free they tend to get moisture behind the seals and seize when offroading, any uneven pad wear is usually a sure sign you've got a seized piston(s) :D seized pistons means reduced clamping effect on the rotor and hence reduced braking ability :D allow plenty of time to go through it a spare vehicle while you've got everything pulled to bits is always handy :D

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Calipers only in the front. Rear are most definitely drums.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 pm

TJ wrote:Calipers only in the front. Rear are most definitely drums.

shit that might mean a few seized rear wheel cylinders and worn woodhill brake shoes :D

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:34 pm

derk wrote:shit that might mean a few seized rear wheel cylinders and worn woodhill brake shoes :D

I've got a pair of wheel cylinders if anyone is interested in replacing theirs. New never used.

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks guys. I have a mechanical friend coming to help me so will have his car if I need to go anywhere for parts. And yes, we are going to do all 4 wheels while we're at it. Hopefully things just need a good clean, it was making some beautiful music last time I was offroad after going through water so I'm thinking there's just something fouling it up somewhere.

Coljag
Hard Yaka

Postby Coljag » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:17 pm

You have rear brakes?? Nah mine didn't come with that option :lol:
Never regret anything you have done, only regret those things you have not done!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Coljag wrote:You have rear brakes?? Nah mine didn't come with that option :lol:

Not talking about the handbrake, are you?

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:48 am

TJ wrote:
Coljag wrote:You have rear brakes?? Nah mine didn't come with that option :lol:

Not talking about the handbrake, are you?

Come on TJ you know the handbrake on a Jeep is for decoration only :lol: :lol:
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:04 am

Tonkatoy. wrote:Come on TJ you know the handbrake on a Jeep is for decoration only :lol: :lol:

Indeed. My WoF guy doesn't even bother checking it now on my TJ after all these years.

Handbrake on a JK is no better, I can drive over it still engaged without even feeling it dragging!!!!!!

Back to OP, how did brake maintenance session go? Any discoveries?

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Ok, so, no good news unfortunately. The piston has fried itself and I require a new piston and seals. I was quoted $250 +gst from the guys at jeep with a 3 week wait for it to get here from the states. I've only owned it for about 2 months now so it's still under dealership warranty so I've rung the guys I bought it off. They will be in touch early next week to organise coming to pick it up (I bought it in rotorua) and they will look into it and get it sorted for me. Fingers crossed anyway. I'm currently fretting that they will say they won't cover it because it's been offroading... Anyone here have any experience with matters like this?

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:24 pm

just don't admit to it. Anyways a piston kit could likely be done at waikato brake n clutch or for a bit more at apex and still be less than dealing with jeep if they say you have to pay for it. Assuming there's no odd parts a full caliper rebuild would be less than your quoted price.

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Swamped wrote:just don't admit to it. Anyways a piston kit could likely be done at waikato brake n clutch or for a bit more at apex and still be less than dealing with jeep if they say you have to pay for it. Assuming there's no odd parts a full caliper rebuild would be less than your quoted price.

That is kind of my plan, I just have to give the engine bay a bloody good clean to make it believable. It was all shiny when I bought it and now everything is brown...
As far as parts are concerned, I've only asked at bnt (they don't have anything for brakes for Jeeps) and at the Jeep dealers. I also rang a few 4x4 parts places in hams but they had nothing. I will see how I get on with the dealers before worrying about having to take it elsewhere.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:54 pm

I might have a spare set, I'll check. I order small parts like that for future use when I order other stuff for Jeep. Saves on freight.

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Give Sav a call at "The 4x4 Centre"
http://www.the4x4centre.co.nz/
they wreck TJs and can probably do you a second hand caliper...

Or...

Hi Tech Auto Parts
http://www.hitechautoparts.co.nz/Parts/Jeep/
O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

vitara888
Bush Crasher

Postby vitara888 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:22 pm

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:29 pm

I've been told that they have a ceramic piston on these. So we are thinking that the seals were buggered which caused friction which prevented the piston from releasing. It has then basically burnt itself out.
When I first noticed the problem, I was headed to raglan and it started shaking like anything after going around a corner. The shaking eased off after maybe 50m but then started again after the next corner so I pulled over to check. I could smell something burning so looked right around the car. There was a rather large amount of black smoke coming from the passengers side front wheel and it wouldve been hot enough to cook dinner on! I managed to nurse it back to a friends house in hams where we had a look and decided to clean everything. It was then a very slow drive back home.
Upon closer inspection, the piston is definitely seized with the brakes on and something on there has burnt

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks guys but I'll see what the dealership will do for me to start with :)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Not to butt in and I mean this in a polite way...The seal theory is plausible (I guess) but self-diagnosis is dangerous.

Sounds like they were just filled up with mud and not cleaned and then driven on the highway.

Thats just what happens when you dont maintain equipment.

wranglerbabe wrote: passengers side front wheel and it wouldve been hot enough to cook dinner on!

I'd ask the dealership to check/replace your unit bearing too. This is the carnage follow-on effect.

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 pm

^ I appreciate your worry about self diagnosis, I removed the caliper and took it to see two different mechanics, both of which agreed that the piston is buggered. I'm not too worried how it happened, just as long as it gets fixed :)
And thanks for the follow on advice, I will definitely ask them to check into that.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:48 pm

No worries :D Let us know how you get on with the dealer... if they don't play the game, theres plenty of good help here for you.

If you do it yourself, you have a big advantage... and you have something that most men don't - the ability to read and follow instructions :lol: :lol:

Just pay close attention, practice good assembly techniques and it will be back together in no time :lol:

-Josh

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:52 pm

^ Thanks mate. And don't worry, the utmost care will be taken to ensure everything is put together correctly and that the lines are bled properly. Brakes are rather important after all...

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:03 pm

lax2wlg wrote:No worries
If you do it yourself, you have a big advantage... and you have something that most men don't - the ability to read and follow instructions :lol: :lol:

-Josh

come on there fella...spit it out and just say what you mean ah...my missus can read the instructions purfectly fine after i've pulled all me work apart for the second time....

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:05 pm

wranglerbabe wrote:^ Thanks mate. And don't worry,

. Brakes are rather important after all...

only if ya wagons going and by the sounds of it yours is going good..
unlike mine...brakes are not very inportant at all :oops:

ranglajeep
Driver/Navigator

Postby ranglajeep » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 pm

This happened to me and two others i know with TJ's, what we did was pulled the pistons out and got the callipers bored out about 1 or 2 mm, helps free up the piston when it gets hot. haven't had any trouble since.

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 am

[quote="wranglerbabe" That is kind of my plan, I just have to give the engine bay a bloody good clean to make it believable. It was all shiny when I bought it and now everything is brown... .[/quote]

If they question remind them that you live on a dirt driveway as most country people do :-)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 am

wranglerbabe wrote:I've been told that they have a ceramic piston on these. So we are thinking that the seals were buggered which caused friction which prevented the piston from releasing. It has then basically burnt itself out.
When I first noticed the problem, I was headed to raglan and it started shaking like anything after going around a corner. The shaking eased off after maybe 50m but then started again after the next corner so I pulled over to check. I could smell something burning so looked right around the car. There was a rather large amount of black smoke coming from the passengers side front wheel and it wouldve been hot enough to cook dinner on! I managed to nurse it back to a friends house in hams where we had a look and decided to clean everything. It was then a very slow drive back home.
Upon closer inspection, the piston is definitely seized with the brakes on and something on there has burnt

Ha Ha Ha... you..... Cook dinner????? Ha Ha Ha :lol: :lol: Just kidding WBabe
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

wranglerbabe
Bush Crasher

Postby wranglerbabe » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:36 pm

ranglajeep wrote:This happened to me and two others i know with TJ's, what we did was pulled the pistons out and got the callipers bored out about 1 or 2 mm, helps free up the piston when it gets hot. haven't had any trouble since.

Thanks for telling me that. I will look into getting that done once I have the callipers replaced. Found a place online where I can get a new set, both sides, landed from America for $180 ish so I might get them bored out before I fit them

Return to “Jeep”