Home made Jeep modifications

pmfg
Bush Crasher

Home made Jeep modifications

Postby pmfg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:03 pm

From just small paint jobs to home made bumpers. What are things you have personally made for your Jeep?

pmfg
Bush Crasher

Re: Home made Jeep modifications

Postby pmfg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:06 pm

After snapping my door handle, and ordering a replacement one only for that to snap not even half pull because of poor design, i decided to make my own slightly more robust ones, just have to make the shaft now and shell be good to go, one for each side.

Total cost so far: Free

pmfg
Bush Crasher

Postby pmfg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Also made this winch plate, because I couldnt find a made one that would fit what I had.

Just had to design it and send a drawing in to J P Marshals in Hamilton with measurements, hole diameters and such, and they laser cut some 6mm plate for me, then i just had to mill some spaces, weld them on, then weld on the front part for the roller fairlead.

Cost: $40

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Headaches lots and lots of headaches
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

pmfg
Bush Crasher

Postby pmfg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:40 pm

yeti wrote:Headaches lots and lots of headaches

Was just hoping some people might have some cool simple things they have done that might give other people some ideas or such.

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Got a couple will post pics later :D
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

tycho
Hard Yaka

Postby tycho » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Home made grab handles. Warehouse foam bike grips over an irrigation tube core :)

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Postby Bubba » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 am

Im not sure if these count as they are more home made repairs than mod's.

BTW I am spanner challanged and have a WJ 4.7HO Overland. Not a great combination

I have a screw holding the heater blender doors open. So the heater only has two setting fckin hot and off. In summer I remove the screw so it only has fckin cold and off. That was my own design!, not ideal but hey it works

When I bought it the passenger window was held up with piece of wood wedged in the door cavity. That was fixed with a replacement part

The powersteering pump reservoir split, Its just a plastic bottle but $1000 to replace 2nd hand, $1500 new, so I had it plastic welded for a cool hundy. Works fine.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:59 am

Great idea. Any TJ owner with sway bar disconnects will soon find out that the sway bar works its way to one side or the other. This then rubs on the frame as suspension cycles. My solution was to put two u-bolts on either side after centering it. Got the bolts from the plumbing section at Bunnings. Sway bar doesn't walk to either side now (has been like this for over 2 years).

TJ u-bolt.jpg
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:54 pm

TJ wrote:Great idea. Any TJ owner with sway bar disconnects will soon find out that the sway bar works its way to one side or the other. This then rubs on the frame as suspension cycles. My solution was to put two u-bolts on either side after centering it. Got the bolts from the plumbing section at Bunnings. Sway bar doesn't walk to either side now (has been like this for over 2 years).

TJ u-bolt.jpg

I have done the same after TJ showed me these. Awesome idea.
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks to Mike, this thread is now a sticky and will stay at the top of Jeep section. It would greatly help current and future Jeepers to find good useful cheap/DIY mods listed in here.

Cheers
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Not pretty, but its funtions well.

One of the first things i did when i got the Jeep, was take the back seat out...
then, when my carpet got wet, and needed a clean, it never ended up going back in...

this did.
It stops the recovery gear from rolling around, and was somewhere sturdy to put the highlift...

O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

pmfg
Bush Crasher

Postby pmfg » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:57 pm

00falcon wrote:It stops the recovery gear from rolling around, and was somewhere sturdy to put the highlift...

Not a bad idea.

I put my jack here.

Just cut some 50x50(i think) stainless box section, drilled a couple holes in the bottom and drilled a hole in the top poked a stainless bolt through and welded it in place. Then just mounted it on the bonnet hinges back two bolts.

Only problem is its right in the way of the washer jets. So you'll have to move them, or put up with it.

Cost: Free

tycho
Hard Yaka

Postby tycho » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Cut down air filter above the fan as a cabin air filter :)

Image[/URL]

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:19 am

cheap lift for your xj,holesaw some rings out of hard plastic, i used some from work that was 13mm thick,extend factory shackles 60mm, boom 60mm lift for free,use the rings youve cut to space front coils.
cold dry air,seal all holes on airbox, holesaw hole in back to suit what pipe youve got, cut hole by wiper motor, i used ithink a commodore airbox flexy,i used some wurth urathane to seal everthing up, the flexy allows it to be removable.
xj gets hot?,i made a reverse facing scoop and then fitted a a/c fan under the scoop,ac fan pushes instead of pulling air,i have the bonnet fan switched with the eletric radiator fan, no more overheating
i also cut my tailgate as the factory one sucked,also made a good spot to pour drinks .
Attachments
IMG_3582.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3583.JPG

Return to “Jeep”