Tube doors and fender trimming

Jeepertunist
Stropper

Tube doors and fender trimming

Postby Jeepertunist » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:04 am

Hey so i just got my 96 xj. And im looking at doing it up quite a bit. Im also just returning to new zealand and this will be the first vehicle ill be moddifing here. Ive done a couple in canada bit as long as it drives your pretty much good. No need for verts or anything.

Now the first thing i want to do is trim the fenders. Ive already got 33s and a 3" lift. Im also going to get the bushwacker flares for them but i want to trim quite a bit off to make them fit. Do you need a cert for that here or can you even do it?

Also ive order a set of tube doors. Im still gunna run the stock doors but going to make some quick disconnect system (like the jk) so i can swap them over for summer days and when ever. In canada we could just make up a bit of a roll cage and nobody cared. Could i do that over here or would that also require some certs?

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Re: Tube doors and fender trimming

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't know all the rules that will apply, but you will surely need a cert for the doors on an XJ. Reason being that on an XJ the door is a structural part, on TJ they are not. So my understanding is that you could do it on a TJ, but not an XJ.

Either way, I'm not a pro, ring your local cert guy and get your answers from the horses mouth. Or buy a the big bad book (low volume vehicle technical manual).
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

yeti
Bruiser

Re: Tube doors and fender trimming

Postby yeti » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:08 pm

gonna need cert just for lift and 33s ...
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Return to “Jeep”