XJ Cherokee budget build and parts needed

Ant
Hard Yaka

XJ Cherokee budget build and parts needed

Postby Ant » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:56 am

Hi all,

Starting a budget build bush truck/winch comp truck with a stock XJ. Have plenty of ideas and keen to custom make parts

Things I need at this stage;
Need rims, 15x7, wanting to increase the track width quite a bit so a good -offset (I know it might be hard with 7" rims)
Will be wanting bead lockers down the track which I might be able to make.
Need shocks for 3" lift
Front D30 auto locker
Modified throttle body - maybe
info on Exhaust mods if needed (whats best size, does it make enough difference)
Steering upgrades -
Axle upgrades

Not sure exactly what else I need at this stage so let me know what you got

Will keep updating as things progress.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: XJ Cherokee budget build and parts needed

Postby derk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:18 am

Ant wrote:Hi all,

Starting a budget build bush truck/winch comp truck with a stock XJ.

Not sure exactly what else I need at this stage so let me know what you got

better throw a 6 point cage some harnesses a big winch with plenty of battery power and heavy gauge cables, some good bar work and a sharp set of simex or silverstones on the list :D

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Already on the cards. Cage will go in over the next few weeks. Already have some seats and harness and silver stones. And electrical background so have plenty of cable and for winch set up.

I have batteries at work rated in amp hrs, I know what CCA is and what AH is but what's more important for winching. I would have thought a big AH would be better but car batteries are always rated in CCA. ???

Any ideas
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

Ashohman
Hard Yaka

Postby Ashohman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:11 pm

AH batts are generally deep cycle wont last to long with winch draining 500+Amps but what would i know.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:50 pm

A winch motor is essentially a big starter motor so CCA is what you want.

The rear axle out of some year of ford explorer is a minimal fab upgrade (right bolt patten, approx right width etc). Can be had with factory discs as well. Google it, you can even buy bracket kits from some of the USA crowds for them.

Front springs out of the solid axle grands fit and give some lift (wj I think?), so based on that maybe shocks fit?

I just bought some bolt on wheel spacers to get more front track width (Nissan drift boys have same PCD, but different centre ring diameter)

No idea about exhaust size but the stock exhaust manifolds all crack and are a prick to change, so plan on an after market extractor.

Check your steering box mounts. They had a factory recall as they were all cracking here. Mine had the factory fix and had cracked again (so I did complete rebuild including new crush tubes in the chassis).

Hope some of that was helpful. Make sure you post pics for us.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:25 pm

Checkerhead wrote:
The rear axle out of some year of ford explorer is a minimal fab upgrade (right bolt patten, approx right width etc). Can be had with factory discs as well. Google it, you can even buy bracket kits from some of the USA crowds for them.

x2
Well worth it, get rid of that 35c.
The front should be okay with 33 inch tyres if you dont act like a maniac.
97+ model had the bigger ujoints, easy upgrade if you find one at a wrecker.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Checkerhead wrote:Front springs out of the solid axle grands fit and give some lift (wj I think?), so based on that maybe shocks fit?

ZJ (older Grands). WJ/WG had 5 on 5" bolt pattern. XJ is the same as ZJ and TJ 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

You can actually use ZJ rear disc set-up to upgrade your rear drum brake set-up if you like. Its what people have done in the US as well.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:41 pm

TJ wrote:
Checkerhead wrote:Front springs out of the solid axle grands fit and give some lift (wj I think?), so based on that maybe shocks fit?

ZJ (older Grands). WJ/WG had 5 on 5" bolt pattern. XJ is the same as ZJ and TJ 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

You can actually use ZJ rear disc set-up to upgrade your rear drum brake set-up if you like. Its what people have done in the US as well.

Thanks TJ. Memory was failing me.
Interesting to know about the rear axle. Are they still a dana 35?
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Checkerhead wrote:
TJ wrote:

Thanks TJ. Memory was failing me.
Interesting to know about the rear axle. Are they still a dana 35?

I think they are, but the rotors and brakes hardware fits a TJ D44 as well as D35c. They only thing different is the spacing ring that holds the seal behind the axle to compensate for the width difference in drum vs rotor. I had actually used 2004/06 TJ Rubicon brake hardware to do the conversion. It was a breeze, factory parts all fitted like a glove (they are meant to, disc brakes were offered in US from 2004 onwards).
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Return to “Jeep”