Diesel vs Petrol

bagal
Winch master

Diesel vs Petrol

Postby bagal » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:08 pm

So still looking at Jeeps and came across a 07 JK diesel. What is the relative merits of diesel vs petrol? The comparison cost calculator indicates a small cost saving with diesel for the mileage I would do. Truck has 545RFE auto and 4.10 axles according to the build sheet. Low range doesn't seem to be particularly low.

Bill

churchill
Hard Yaka

Re: Diesel vs Petrol

Postby churchill » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:42 pm

I did a calc on a NP Pajero petrol vs diesel and taking into account interest on the purchase price difference, resale, maintenance, RUC etc it worked out $700 savings every 10000km. The diesel was a lot more expensive the the petrol $25k vs $18k. Dunno what the difference in the jeeps is like.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

bagal wrote:What is the relative merits of diesel vs petrol?

-Combustion efficiency is much higher
-Range/fuel economy
-Waterproof
-Safety (fuel flammability)
-Can run on alternative fuels (generally speaking)
-Less complexity - doesn't rely on an external ignition system
-Torque distribution generally produces much more torque at lower RPMs - exactly what you need for offroad/expo vehicle

This is why military/severe duty users around the world uniformly choose diesel as a power source. For severe duty it is a far preferable choice. People will disagree of course, just show them facts and evidence (instead of emotions) and politely ask them to provide the same for their argument.

However the Chrysler 6-cylinder petrol has an excellent reputation for strength/longevity. The modern finnicky European diesels don't have as much documented history. In this scenario it may be better to go for the gasser, purely because its been around for so long and has a proven track record.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 pm

With the advancements in diesel combustion r&d in the last ten years I am the first to admit that my next vehicle will be a diesel again. Was quite impressed with the power figures I got out of my last 2.7 and 3.2 and will probably go that way again with similar capacity engine.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:46 pm

refilled the works ranger diesel in hamilton at full mileage reading was 980 km till empty ,drove to new plymouth and back to Auckland on that tank ,
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:02 am

Common rail diesel linked to a VNT turbo is a top notch combo in my opinion. It's really efficient and delivers a really good torque curve. Specific power figures are making big gains with each new engine. The only engine with a better torque curve is an electric motor, they're still a few years away yet though.

Return to “Jeep”