zukmeista
Hard Yaka

coiling an xj

Postby zukmeista » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:04 pm

is it possible to coil the rear of an xj :?:

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:08 pm

i guess anything is possible, but ive never seen it done. I suppose if you swap out the rear of the Grand Cherokee (ZJ) it could go in under the xj, just spring and shock mounts on the underbody would have to be modified. Trailing arms from the ZJ would have to be mounted too.
Have you googled and looked to see if its been done, someone in the US more than likely has.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:12 pm

waste of time. What are you looking to achieve in an xj? they will flex fine will leaves and will still be comfortable. You have to put a huge lift in them to get big tyres, the diffs arent very strong if they are d30's, they are only a monocoque chassis aswell so you cant mod the suspension very easily.

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:05 pm

I looked at some of the stuff in the US and Yes you can but it is not that common and there is a kit they use that gives all the front and rear pivots. It looks like a fair bit of work and the ones in the us now say they are tippy and have gone lower and heavier wheels to compensate.

Would be cool tho but you are on a short chassis so your links will cause some steering issues. What are you doing to the front? if you want more flex they seem to pull a leaf and use airbags or replace them.

Rick (look at the jeep forum abd the muss build) is into Jeeps so see what he suggests

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:42 pm

theres an aussie site... gojeep- something or other tht apparently has a rear suspension conversion blow by blow. why bother though, just buy a ZJ.

stevet647........
What are you doing to the front? if you want more flex they seem to pull a leaf and use airbags or replace them
No leaves in the front of the XJ.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Easier solution might be to put a Dana 44 rear from a TJ under XJ. But remember that XJ comes with a factory D35c. Also, XJ is a unibody (no separate chassis) so mounting some of the components (control arms, spring mounts) might be tricky.

I don't really see the value in doing this. If you have a good quality leaf pack in the back, it should work equally well. However, since everything is possible, here is a link for a commercially available solution.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info. ... s_id/24087

Its about USD 3,000 plus freight and then there are other mods you will have to do like SYE, CV shaft.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:54 pm

I just did a bit of research and guess what did I find!!!!

http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/ame.php

A kid converts his XJ into an electric Jeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 pm

I ment are you lifting the front or changing the front geometry any I knew they were coil front like the hilux surf I was just thinking lift the front and coil the back for bigger wheels or something.

oh and why an electric jeep? what a waste it couldnt go far offroad but the torque of an electric motor would be useful, and you have a spare motor for the winch.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:09 pm

I was just reading the electric Jeep website and he has done a lot of work. I guess as an experiment, why not! He retained the clutch and transfer case/drive shafts. I would be fun to watch people's reaction to it.

XJ rear coiling, there is a Clayton kit as well. It seems all of these kits lift it by 6-8 inches.

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:19 pm

It would be the ultimate sneak up behind someone and toot weapon. the uni had to put speakers on the outside to play vroom vroom so people look for it.

I was thinking its weight. Yes he has done a lot to it, hope there is work for him in that field

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:56 am

ok thanks guys for ur help :wink: :wink:

Return to “Jeep”