Postby badnuz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Why the downsize in rubber?
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Wellyranger
Driver/Navigator

Re: Show us your ......... JEEP

Postby Wellyranger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:36 pm

too much rubbing for me...

Would have to cut the guards a fair amount and cant really be bothered, also changing to AT tyres as dont really need the muds..

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:02 pm

wow, i thought a 3 inch lift would be able to accommodate at least 32" tyres?
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

Wellyranger
Driver/Navigator

Postby Wellyranger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Given jeep was stock when i got it, i think the 3inch lift is only really 2inch once you lift it back to stock height etc..

I have noticed rear spring sag already and the new leafs and shocks have only been in for 2 months, i guess they have to settle...

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Looks like a tidy one.

I wasn't convinced by 3" from the photo, but looking back at mine with 2" and a bit on 30s it does look right.

I added one spring leaf from my original spring pack to the new OME springs when I fitted my lift to combat sag. I also put two or three 10mm poly spacers (OME ones) in to help the front.

I guess if you haven't been needing muds recently then you probably don't need them
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:09 pm

trimed off some more bits that were not needed, front wheels touch first now on most stuff,will finish roof rack this week so i can mount some lights up there,starting to gather bits now so i can do a axle swap in summer when its warmer outside, got a day in the bush planned for sat so should have some muddy pics.
Attachments
08072012686.jpg

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 pm

No photos yet, but mine must have got at the Weetbix; it's grown two inches at the front. Still have to shift the track bar across a bit and swap the LCAs, then do the back end, so no playing in the mud next weekend either. Fought me every step of the way so I must have 5 or 6 hours into just replacing front shocks, springs and sway bar links.

Broke 3 of the 4 flares and tweaked the driver's side front guard last time out so I'm looking at tube fenders pretty closely now. Also something cut the wiring for the ARB bar's indicators. It doesn't need 2 sets but it'll fail warrant with lights fitted and not working so I'll have to either fix the wiring or take the lights out.

Still no ARB rear; still waiting for the tyre carrier to walk/swim here from Aus it seems. I'm thinking of sacking the carrier and going with a spare in the back and running a CJ tailgate. Anybody know of one spare anywhere?
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Fen, how about something like this:

http://www.rokmen.com/drop-down-aluminum-tailgate-w-storage-compartment.html

I don't have the fabrication skills, but I am sure someone local could do one up.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:25 am

I hadn't seen it before and I like that. I also like the old style Jeep lettering across the CJ door, but something like that is practical.

I forget the name, but someone does a kit to relocate the hinges of the standard tailgate which is a good fall back, but that storage is nice in the Rokmen tailgate.
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Fen wrote:I hadn't seen it before and I like that. I also like the old style Jeep lettering across the CJ door, but something like that is practical.

I forget the name, but someone does a kit to relocate the hinges of the standard tailgate which is a good fall back, but that storage is nice in the Rokmen tailgate.

this may be the one you are thinking of Fen

http://www.swagoffroad.com/YJ-TJ-Drop-Down-Tailgate-Conversion-Kit_p_25.html

still uses original latch and something else on the other side
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 pm

That's the one. There's not a whole lot to it really; 2 hinges with some strengthening plates to act against, a couple of cables to hold it horizontal and a second catch - which is the bit that looks really naff. The CJ one looks much cooler, http://www.swagoffroad.com/CJ-Tailgate- ... _p_33.html

but then it has the two challenges of finding one and then how do you secure it in a way that it opens from the outside (which I need to do as I'm running a duster most of the time now).
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

para
Winch master

Postby para » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 pm

hey guys! new to the site and jeeps aswell. Heres my 94 xj ive bought recently. Its relatively tidy inside (although usual xj sagging rooflining etc). going to start with the basics, do away with sway bars, get recovery points sorted. Thinking 2inch box receiver hitch in the rear. What u guys rekon?
Attachments
jeep1.jpg

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Looks like a good starting point. I must have been lucky with my XJ headlining as it was fine.

Mine didn't have a rear sway bar - doesn't really need one with leaf springs, although I think some of them do have one. I had disconnects on my front and drove it a few times disconnected on the road - it wasn't too roly even with about 2.5 inches of lift. I ran it one 30s and there was no rubbing, but I did have wheels with a bigger outset than the stock ones.
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 pm

para wrote:hey guys! new to the site and jeeps aswell. Heres my 94 xj ive bought recently. Its relatively tidy inside (although usual xj sagging rooflining etc). going to start with the basics, do away with sway bars, get recovery points sorted. Thinking 2inch box receiver hitch in the rear. What u guys rekon?

I have a receiver hitch on my TJ, works fine, make sure your hook goes inside the box and M8 bolts go all the way through with another nut or crush tube in between , will put up a pic later for ya

cheers
Greg
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:03 pm

WRNGLR wrote:
para wrote:hey guys! new to the site and jeeps aswell. Heres my 94 xj ive bought recently. Its relatively tidy inside (although usual xj sagging rooflining etc). going to start with the basics, do away with sway bars, get recovery points sorted. Thinking 2inch box receiver hitch in the rear. What u guys rekon?

I have a receiver hitch on my TJ, works fine, make sure your hook goes inside the box and M8 bolts go all the way through with another nut or crush tube in between , will put up a pic later for ya

cheers
Greg

I got mine off Greg too ;)
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

para
Winch master

Postby para » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:16 pm

WRNGLR wrote:

cheers
Greg

yeh really good idea. thinking ill try get mine high as pos so its out the way :D

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 pm

para wrote:
WRNGLR wrote:

cheers
Greg

yeh really good idea. thinking ill try get mine high as pos so its out the way :D

Here ya go , pics of removable hitch with hook
The bolt and lock nut you can see in pics is there to stop the whole lot from rattling around while driving, was sending me nuts

cheers

Greg

para
Winch master

Postby para » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:41 pm

yeh that would drive me nuts too! cheers 4 that, now its just getting my towbar madeup

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Fen wrote:ARB bar didn't happen this week because the tyre carrier isn't here yet and it's a major to fit it without and then add it after apparently. Probably looking at the end of June now.

Finally got the ARB bar a tyre carrier on. Can't say I'm impressed. I dunno what I'll end up paying for it but for what I got and the 3 month plus wait it will be too much.

I used the TJ yesterday for the first time with it on. I was recovered backwards into a tree - not at speed, just a steady pull. I know that's not what the bar is designed for but it deformed enough to let the tailgate get slightly bent (and now it won't open) and the catch which wasn't great to start with is a pain in the backside now; stiff to open and hard to close. Not nearly as strong as I had expected.

The bar itself was damaged when it was unpacked; the end was bent in on the driver's side. It straightened out OK, but that's the bit that's meant to provide corner protection so it's pretty average that it bent in the first place.

Overall I wish I hadn't bothered as there are any number of things I'd rather have had for what it will end up costing.
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:51 pm

shit thats a bugger mate, whats the next step then, fix what ya got or have a look at something else, Hoppy at offroadspecialties has one there http://www.offroadspecialties.co.nz/node/368 looks to be fairly sturdy, wonder if anyone else has got it, and what do they think

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 am

I've got it now so I'll stick with it. I might ditch the tyre carrier in the future and just run it as a bar.

It does have good clearance compared with the stock rear with a towbar under it and the receiver is supposedly pretty strongly mounted. Nothing is going to cost me any less than just sticking with it from this point and it is better than the stock setup.

If I'd been pulled into the tree with the spare on the tailgate mount then the gate would be a lot more bent than it is (it's barely noticeable and if it had opened I possibly wouldn't have noticed). When we couldn't go back any more and I was still in a bank I had to winch sideways and The ARB gave me somewhere to mount my 33" front when I pulled it off the rim and then tore the valve stemand had to put my 31" spare on. Of course I need to get a full size spare.

Overall it isn't junk, but I had heard nothing bu rave reviews about its strength and quality and my experience of only 1 trip with it is that it isn't nearly all that.
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Your experience seems to be complete opposite of mine. I have acually been rear ended a couple of times, with no damage.

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm wondering if they make them out of toffee these days. I can't think of another good reason why people who have had them for a while think they are great yet I think mine is questionable after only 1 trip.
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

Fen
Hard Yaka

Postby Fen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 pm

I've just been out to investigate. The tailgate wouldn't open because the pin it latches against, which has a head on it, was catching on the pressed metal cover that goes over the catch mechanism inside the tailgate.

There's a reasonable curve to the panel and it gets a bit of spring tension against the bar for the bottom of the back window when it's closed, but it will be fine.

The tyre carrier seems to be loose on the end that it hinges from and so it can move up and down slightly, and it has dropped over time meaning it doesn't line up with its catch properly. I could jack with the Hi Lift to make it sit too high and then push it back down. I'll take a look at that some other time as I assume it shouldn't be like that if it can take the weight of a 35" tyre and a Hi Lift. I'll try to chase down the fitting instructions first as presumably they explain how to tighten the height adjuster.
Fen

'03 TJ (gone)
'96 XJ
'90 951

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 pm

There is a bolt on the right side where the main vertical swing bolt is for adjusting the swing arm. There should be no up/down movement in the arm at all. Sounds like improper or hasty install. I did my own install and it was very involved. I counted a total of 18 bolts holding it to frame.

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:42 am

should send it down here fen.....take a look at it for ya... :wink:

got pics of set up :?:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 am

back on subject ..here's mine....

the petrol drinking thingy under the hood

as is sits today....up the driveway waiting for parts

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:44 am

[quote="yeti"]back on subject ..here's mine....

Hey Yeti, that bit of card or board under the back wheel to stop the tire gettin scratched ?? :lol:

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:59 pm

WRNGLR wrote:
yeti wrote:back on subject ..here's mine....

hey yeti, that bit of card or board under the back wheel to stop the tire gettin scratched ?? :lol:

tis me home made bedlock......didnt work

its the forsale sign for the old xj..shows how hard i was trying to sell it.... :mrgreen:

Return to “Jeep”