Cherokee manual conversion???

Armz
Hard Yaka

Cherokee manual conversion???

Postby Armz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Im looking at buying a early 90's model jeep cherokee but the dam things only seem to come in auto.

Has anyone converted one to manual? how bigger job is it?

Will a wranger box just bolt in by anychance??

I havent really done much homework on it yet, but anyone got any ideas or advice???

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Buy a Wrangler.

But seriously, (actually i was serious... but anyway...) theres a conversion on a aussie website someplace that some dude did... cant recall the addy, but try a google search. Some of the turbo diesel cherokees come in manual, if youre dead set on a manual and a cherokee, might wanna spend a bit more and get a later model diesel.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 pm

I agree with XJ, buy a Wrangler!!!

But seriously, whats your gripe with an auto? Have you driven one with auto and had problems or just believe that manuals are somehow inherently better than autos?

There is a pedals set some is selling on trade me that he had assembled to convert an auto Wrangler to a manual, but then changed his mind. As far as fitting transmissions go, 4.0 I6 petrol engine was used in the Wranglers as well and so was the NP231 transfer case. So a Wrangler transmission, in theory, should be able to fit. Why not go with a lower geared transmission and do it properly.

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 am

It should bolt up I have read about a couple that were converted in the US, it does depend on why you are converting it in the first place both of the US conversions were for very modified versions.

The auto can be made into a clutchless manual with a manual lockup and it works pretty well for an auto even in offroad conditions.

Good luck with the conversion if you hoose to do it but there is a few bits to get, make fit, and make so it is not usually a quick cheap exercise.
Legal disclaimer: Any information I may have provided is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:58 pm

Have a look at http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoSwitch.htm. This guy has done all sorts of things with his cherokee. If you just need the down-hill braking then this is all you need to do, it is on the list of plans I have for mine.

Cheers
Ian
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

1936 Ford Flathead V8 Colonial Cab (restoration project)

Armz
Hard Yaka

Postby Armz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:02 pm

haha, yea used to be dead keen on a wrangler but i need four doors, and theres no way in hell in can afford the brand new model.

As for wanting a manual, nothing against autos, my old terrano was auto, But it bloody boring to drive day to day, i love choppin and changing through the gearbox,

has anyone driven the diesel cherokee, how gutless are they?? i more of a petrol man myself, im thinking of putting this in the too hard basket, you guys havent given me the answer i wanted - "yer mate she just bolt in u can do it on a sunday arvo no problems"

So gonna have 2 decide V6 petrol manual surf or auto cherokee???? mmmmmmm

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:21 pm

Armz wrote:haha, yea used to be dead keen on a wrangler but i need four doors, and theres no way in hell in can afford the brand new model.

As for wanting a manual, nothing against autos, my old terrano was auto, But it bloody boring to drive day to day, i love choppin and changing through the gearbox,

has anyone driven the diesel cherokee, how gutless are they?? i more of a petrol man myself, im thinking of putting this in the too hard basket, you guys havent given me the answer i wanted - "yer mate she just bolt in u can do it on a sunday arvo no problems"

I know a couple of chaps who have had them, and although they dont necessarily adore the oil burner version, the turbo made up for the lack of cc's. Theyre not gutless at all. Not on the road anyway... they apparently perform ok offroad, just ok though. In all honesty, the cherokee essentially is a love affair.... you have your ups and you have your downs. (ive had two) The surf will have much more accessable aftermarket parts..... but hey, its Jap.
Theres nothing like driving a Jeep, id rather been seen in the worst Jeep than the best Jappa (unless ive drowned another transmission and need a safari to get me home!!!, but hey, Im a hypocrate, and proud)

Dont rush into it..... sit back and digest whatever info you can.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Armz wrote:im thinking of putting this in the too hard basket, you guys havent given me the answer i wanted - "yer mate she just bolt in u can do it on a sunday arvo no problems"

Its a Jeep thing, either you get it or don't.... There are no easy solutions. However, the 4.0L petrol engine is a force to reckon with.

Toyota? Thats sacrilege - I would rather walk, bare foot.... :evil:

But seriously, there are no easy solutions with what you want to do.

Return to “Jeep”