TJ Build

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Re: TJ Build

Postby mercutio » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote: can they make them out of plastic now? :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my wagen is an 86 and has a plastic tank
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote:Shit I must still be way back in the dark ages..... can they make them out of plastic now? :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, something to do with safety and all...... I threw the factory skid in the skip at the workshop, but it was sheetmetal thin and all bent out of shape. It only covered the tank from three sides (plastic exposed on passenger side).
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:20 pm

TJ, what did summitracing sting you for shipping on the calibration unit? Mine has been shipped, theyve told me the price of the unit and the "handling" fees, but not the shipping cost. I have emailed them and asked them what the go is, and am awaiting a response.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:00 pm

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was around USD 26 or so. Its a very small unit. Which one did you order? Hopefully not the Dakota Digital one!! Let me know, it was an easy install.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:05 pm

the same one you posted the link to on this thread.

Id be mighty happy if they did charge $26USD. I just got a transfer case oil pump from Quadratec (thought id give em another chance, but they blew it again!!), same weight as the recal unit from summit, and the thieves charged me $72USD for freight. Same carrier, same service.
Two strikes for Quadratec now, ill not be lining myself up for a third.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Yeah, I am staying away from Quadratec for sure. If they are using USPS, it should be something very reasonable. I know SummitRacing uses USPS, unless you ask for something else. Is there something wrong with your pump? Or just replacing it for the sake of safety as you will be in there anyway.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 pm

while i was doing the sye i noticed that the pump seal was damaged (actually my helper did) and that the rear flange was "bruised". That, and the fact that I broke three of the little flanges didnt help. (dont ask)

Quadratec and Summit racing have both used Fedex Intl Economy. If summits price is going to be $26-oddUSD, im going to have a lot of fun making up an email to Quadratec.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:16 pm

I have found USPS to be a LOT cheaper than Fedex.

When seeking shipping if the supplier will only use Fedex I normally have to walk away as their rates are crazy dear. Quick and good but very expensive.

Matt.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 pm

xj wrote:while i was doing the sye i noticed that the pump seal was damaged (actually my helper did) and that the rear flange was "bruised". That, and the fact that I broke three of the little flanges didnt help. (dont ask)

Quadratec and Summit racing have both used Fedex Intl Economy. If summits price is going to be $26-oddUSD, im going to have a lot of fun making up an email to Quadratec.

All my orders from SummitRacing have come through USPS. Why would they use Fedex Intl Economy for Hamilton is a little out of my understanding. USPS was definitely more reliable and cheaper than any other option.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 pm

Cant comment, i wasnt given an option. Although they state that they endeavour to find the most economical avenue available.... maybe theyve had a parting of the ways with USPS.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 pm

ups use flyways up here , not a clever bunch :roll:

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:58 pm

US Postal Service (USPS) is actually delivered by NZ Post's Courier Post. My last parcel came through in about 5 days from Colorado. Best time was 28 hours from Colorado as well. All through USPS/NZPost.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:31 pm

From April 9th:

xj wrote:LOL LMAO!!!!

Which is exactly why mine is pretty much going to stay as it is. Aside from doing a drum to disc conversion (a long way down the track) mine has had all its going to get done.

Honestly, if i wanted to do all that kinda stuff, id have bought a safari/patrol, Or dare i say it, and fj40. Everything is so much cheaper...!!!!

So much for that post!!

sorry to hijack your thread TJ, after all it is your build up....

My project has, pretty much, come to the end of the road. Maybe a fuel tank skid as you have bought could be added, but thats about it.
I bought it with the lift and 33's on 8 inch rims, the rims and tyres have been changed, but for all intents and purposes they are neither here nor there, since then it has had:
• Home made tube front bar and "skid"
• Warn 9000lb winch
• Tail-light guards
• Extended transfer and diff breathers
• Wheel arch flare extensions
• Safari snorkel
• Rear bar and tyre carrier with chassis tie in brackets
• Spotlights
• New soft top
• Dual frequency comms
• Heavy duty steering dampner
• Front Swaybar disconnects
• Extended stainless front brakelines
• Front and rear diff skid plates
• Transfer case short shaft (SYE) and driveshaft with recalibration unit
• ARB front and rear diff lockers

Paid 10k, have spent an approximate additional 10.5k........

As porky said....... "That's all folks"
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

Flash2004
Hard Yaka

Postby Flash2004 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:29 pm

This could seem a little bit harsh, but in all your list of mods I can see only two which might make it more capable (lockers and discos) the rest is pure bling, not to mention dead weight. I have a theory that if you leave the weight off, including the winch, you'll have an extremely capable truck. The beauty of the Jeeps (CJ2 - TJ) has always been light weight, flexibility and ample power.

Sometimes i feel like stripping everything from my (now) 2000kg TJ that is not really necessary and seeing what that goes like. I reckon it won't need other than very light bull, side and tail bars and bumpers because it'd always go where I wanted. It wouldn't need a winch - not that it ever has except to recover others - Wouldn't need a tank guard because it'd ride higher. As it is I can and do crash it through and over anything without damage but it sinks like a stone in a swamp.

Still, bling is good especially on a Wrangler and I keep buying it and sticking it on. 9" HID spots were the latest, they turn night into day and burn retinas out of possum's eyes! I'm just careful not to fool myself that its for kick ass off road ability as opposed to car park cred. See you on the trail.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Gordon, you are more than welcome to your theory.

So you'd rather tear your brake lines out by leaving the stock ones in?

Rather than extending your diff and transfer case breathers youd rather drown? (same with snorkle)

You ever crushed a diff housing?

Bending a transfer case output shaft is all cool too is it, so the SYE isnt necessary? (ask TJ)

Extending the flares was a WOF requirement

But what would I know.....

Super charging something that as you say, already has ample power, might just be compensating for something too.... Id consider that a complete "bling" and utter waste of time. As is, IMO, the ARB front bar.

And FYI the only time I drive it is to the trail and on the trail, cant think of the last time it was in a carpark.

Perhaps you can hightlight for me exactly what the dead weight items are?

Cheers

Mark
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:56 pm

Aplogies TJ, back to it being your thread........
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:00 pm

xj wrote:Aplogies TJ, back to it being your thread........

coz its not all about you
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:06 pm

yes it is

drunken fuk
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:07 pm

xj wrote:yes it is

drunken fuk

jealous

sorry TJ, this is actually all about you, we will go now

*CHILLAX BRO.*

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Geez, I guess opinion is like something else everyone has!!!!!

I need to now do something technical to add "technical" content back in this thread.

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:31 pm

TJ wrote:Geez, I guess opinion is like something else everyone has!!!!!

I need to now do something technical to add "technical" content back in this thread.

so if me and XJ come on here once every couple of weeks and dribble on, then the build would become more advanced 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*CHILLAX BRO.*

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:35 pm

skid wrote:so if me and XJ come on here once every couple of weeks and dribble on, then the build would become more advanced 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sure it will. I am evaluating a couple of options for either a winch or a belly up skid. This dribble is just giving me more push to do it quicker than planned :lol: :wink: :wink:

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:41 pm

now that you mention the tummy tuck. It was suggeted that could be my next "bling". But to do it id need to pop a 1 inch body lift in, which would then leave the 33's looking a tad insipid. No way that id be adding 35's (then regearing would be needed, which would render the new lockers useless..... sigh)
So figured that it sitting where it is now is better than where it was.... so the status quo will remain.
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:46 pm

I think the AEV tummy tuck does not require a body lift (still evaluating my options). I am hoping/waiting for Rokmen to come out with an option. They are working on a model for 2003+ models, but mine is 2001! Apparently there is a difference in the six hole location on the frame and some other differences.

Flash2004
Hard Yaka

Postby Flash2004 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:03 am

xj wrote:Gordon, you are more than welcome to your theory.

So you'd rather tear your brake lines out by leaving the stock ones in?

Rather than extending your diff and transfer case breathers youd rather drown? (same with snorkle)

You ever crushed a diff housing?

Bending a transfer case output shaft is all cool too is it, so the SYE isnt necessary? (ask TJ)

Extending the flares was a WOF requirement

But what would I know.....

Super charging something that as you say, already has ample power, might just be compensating for something too.... Id consider that a complete "bling" and utter waste of time. As is, IMO, the ARB front bar.

And FYI the only time I drive it is to the trail and on the trail, cant think of the last time it was in a carpark.

Perhaps you can hightlight for me exactly what the dead weight items are?

Cheers

Mark

Wasn't a criticism Mark and sorry you took it that way. of course extend your breathers and brake lines (you should see my SS braided lines) but it won't climb a hill any steeper. Of course fit tail light guards but they can't help you wade deeper. Fit a big bullbar and winch, all seriously bad weight forward of the front diff and definitely lose some capability. I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with bling, or that yours was all bling, just that we need to recognise it for what it is.

Flash2004
Hard Yaka

Postby Flash2004 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 am

xj wrote:now that you mention the tummy tuck. It was suggeted that could be my next "bling". But to do it id need to pop a 1 inch body lift in, which would then leave the 33's looking a tad insipid. No way that id be adding 35's (then regearing would be needed, which would render the new lockers useless..... sigh)
So figured that it sitting where it is now is better than where it was.... so the status quo will remain.

If a tummy tuck is going to raise the mid cross member and therefore ground clearance without raising your CofG, that would be the single biggest trail performance improvement you could make to the TJ. Another theory.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:27 am

I guess our definitions of Bling diverge at chome spinners! :D

I fail to see how tail-light guards are "bling" they serve a purpose, if they stop my lenses from breaking, then theyll do me just fine.. 8)
RT's... hell who needs to communicate.... must be "bling" too 8)
And as for the necessity of a winch... heck, we dont need to help anyone else aye, we just need to look after ourselves. :wink:
I dont have a large, or heavy, bull bar. :?

Is there anything I missed? Oh yeah....
I forgot to add on my list the rock sliders i think.... but they dont actually protect anything, theyre just more tacky add ons that arent really necessary.... the parts where the paint is worn off to the bare steel was painted that way, just to look cool.

Dont worry Gordon, I didnt take it as a criticism... I took it as a challenge to see who could shake their willys about the most!!!!!!!! but hey, I bow down in awe of your Grandeur. (skid had his out too... flailing about madly in the wind... shocking sight, but not really a threat!)
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:11 am

TJ wrote:
skid wrote:so if me and XJ come on here once every couple of weeks and dribble on, then the build would become more advanced 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sure it will. I am evaluating a couple of options for either a winch or a belly up skid. This dribble is just giving me more push to do it quicker than planned :lol: :wink: :wink:

how did you know I need a belly up, I've never met you.

has that dodgy kung foo fighting fulla from hamilton been describing my stunning figure to you again :roll: :roll:

xj wrote:I took it as a challenge to see who could shake their willys about the most!!!!!!!! but hey, I bow down in awe of your Grandeur. (skid had his out too... flailing about madly in the wind... shocking sight, but not really a threat!)

aaaah yes it seems I have a stalker

Jerry will get jealous if he hears that you've been looking at my body again Mark :oops: :oops: (cool name)

*CHILLAX BRO.*

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Its been over a year since I have updated this thread. I thought I should add a bit of information here now. So in the next few postings I will try to make it as current as possible.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:39 pm

In March this year, I noticed a bit of coolant leaking from under the engine, it was time to replace the waterpump:

I got all the new things needed like upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump and thermostat.

Factory lower radiator hose has a spring inside to make sure it does not collapse under pressure. Replacement has one as well (all good):

Off came the belt, fan shroud and fan:

Off came the water pump and thermostat housing:

New water pump compared to the old one:

Water pump, thermostat and hoses back on:

Put the belt, fan and fan shroud on and all was good.

Return to “Jeep”