Interested in a GPS tracking system for your 4X4?

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Re: Interested in a GPS tracking system for your 4X4?

Postby CLUMZ1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 am

kbushnz wrote:I have one of those Chinese ones....It works by sending a txt to it...
Then it txts back its coordinates or goto a website and dial in your number and it shows on the map where it is...
However as for ongoing costs... the text messages go offshore and you end up paying for an international txt....
Found out the hard way and gobbled up heaps of credit having a play...
Bit of a rip really...
I want a unit that will stay in NZ and only cost local txt's.....

what model have you got dude?

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:07 am

Its a Banbo brand unit... will add model number later when I find the manual.....Looks like this one http://www.banbo.cc/en/products.html?proID=3340633
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 am

Did it come with PC software?

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:16 am

CLUMZ1 wrote:Did it come with PC software?

No its all web based.....
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:22 am

I wonder if its guts are the same as mine and I can send you my software/command instructions to allow it to work from a PC.

EDIT: nope, dont think that'll work.

Got another $100? Buy the same model as mine.. local texts or based on your PC. They also offer a paid service like the one you have but you don't need to use it.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:29 pm

kbushnz wrote:I want a unit that will stay in NZ and only cost local txt's.....

I can understand that.
I'm keen to get more info on the model I'm interested in.
Buying a model made in NZ for NZ conditions will be the go I recon.

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 pm

providing the unit has a sms mode, and not running on gprs. the txts will be local. The chinese ones should provide this as well as the online gprs tracking.

The banbo one should be able to do local sms in that mode.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Ok ORE folk. This is the info I've been waiting for. Hopefully, this thread and the following content will be enough for you to make a call on weather you're interested in purchasing this unit or not.
I've read it and I'm going to have it installed in my 4X4.

Here it goes.

Product Information
The TPM system is designed and manufactured in Christchurch New Zealand. The gold GPS product received an award from the Canterbury Development Corporation in 2008.
The TPM system incorporates security devices which are fitted to motor vehicles or assets. We give our clients the ability to communicate directly to the vehicles via a secure operational website. The system is designed to encourage loan repayment, provide GPS location, immobilize the vehicle if it is in danger or stolen. The unit is unobtrusive and is fitted as an integral part of the loom wiring. The added security advantage makes the TPM system very popular with finance, insurance and motor-trade industries. The NZ Police have endorsed our product and with our direct assistance have arrested a number of organized car thief operations.

Product features TPM 100:
SMS and GPRS TCP/UDP Communication (PST Protocol) Use of on demand prepay Sim (no monthly fee)
Track on Demand via web
Low Battery Alarm, unit sends alert to preprogrammed cell phone
Power-cut Alarm, unit sends alert to preprogrammed cell phone
Engine Cut (Stop Engine) physical sense, unit will not immobilize unless car is not running
Communication sensing, the TPM unit will not activate immobilisation if there is no comms coverage.
Maps to iphones compatability

Summary
TPM has a proven product which will give you assurance that your asset is protected, If it moves we can track it, if its lost we can find it, if it is in danger we can shut it down.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards

Terence Courtney
Director
64 (0) 21 966 281
terrence@totalprotection.co.nz

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Any pricing yet for that pete?
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 pm

jonossiksilvia wrote:Any pricing yet for that pete?

On page 2 of this thread you'll find this posted,
"HI Pete
A safari was stolen from work last week, found it burnt out ion the Ashley river bed
we can supply a system which will suit,
VLD 2000locate and disable full mapping $430 fitted
VL 1000 just locate with uncontrolled turn of option $250 fitted---self fitted $200
let us know if this is what you require

cheers Terrence".

Hope that helps.

I'm sure there are other units out there that are cheaper. But personally. I'm interested in this unit because it's made in Christchurch and already proven plus it's endorsed by our NZ Police.

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 pm

how easy is it to connect to an alarm, ie will it alert you when activated?, one of the issues is knowing when your truck is broken into (rather than find out in the morning etc)
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Jerry wrote:how easy is it to connect to an alarm, ie will it alert you when activated?, one of the issues is knowing when your truck is broken into (rather than find out in the morning etc)

Good point.

Terrence's email is noted in my posts.
You could ask him yourself and let us all know.
God knows I've emailed him enough over the last few weeks. :D
He's aware that I've copied/pasted all his info to this site.

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:17 am

I'm emailing him so will ask.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:16 am

Looks like it only supports the iPhone with mapping on your own phone, pity it does not support all smart phones, bugger............. would be a good system then.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:17 am

kiwipete wrote:Looks like it only supports the iPhone with mapping on your own phone, pity it does not support all smart phones, bugger............. would be a good system then.

Might be worth emailing him though Pete.

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:39 am

Jerry wrote:how easy is it to connect to an alarm, ie will it alert you when activated?, one of the issues is knowing when your truck is broken into (rather than find out in the morning etc)

The chinese ones have an arm state(good to get the one with the remote so you dont have to text it to arm it), just like an alarm really. They have door trigger connections and acc(power) trigger connections. I would at a guess say the Christchurch units do the same as the specs are very simular.

So if the door or the acc power is triggered it will go off and send you messages every three minutes. with a location, direction and speed.

The message it sends me has gps co ords, speed and direction and a google maps link. Doesnt matter what phone you use just open google maps in the browser.

The CHCH unit would be ideal if your looking for more local support as the chinese ones dont really have any.

Drurban
Hard Yaka

Postby Drurban » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:03 am

kiwipete wrote:Looks like it only supports the iPhone with mapping on your own phone, pity it does not support all smart phones, bugger............. would be a good system then.

Hi kiwipete,

Just use the system which I got it works on iphone and Android, and you pay when you need to.

Cheers.
1997 Isuzu Mu, 3.1TD, 5sp Manual.

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Looks like I'll be getting something from overseas then cos i'm not switching to an iphone

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:08 pm

just grab the $100 one from DealExtreme, it does everything the kiwi one does and only costs a prepay subscription (eg 2degrees prepay sim)

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:32 pm

For the chinese trackers, the apps can make it easier to use and nicer to look at.

Basically all they do is send the commands to the tracker via sms and some integrate a map into it, same as sending them youself except you dont have to type or remember anything.

Having the app is not essential as just like sending your mate a text you can control the tracker.

Would anyone be interested in a write up and how to?

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:48 pm

trucked wrote:

The chinese ones have an arm state(good to get the one with the remote so you dont have to text it to arm it), just like an alarm really. They have door trigger connections and acc(power) trigger connections. I would at a guess say the Christchurch units do the same as the specs are very simular.

So if the door or the acc power is triggered it will go off and send you messages every three minutes. with a location, direction and speed.

The message it sends me has gps co ords, speed and direction and a google maps link. Doesnt matter what phone you use just open google maps in the browser.

The CHCH unit would be ideal if your looking for more local support as the chinese ones dont really have any.

Do you have the link to your chinese tracker?
I'd like to compare that with DealExtreme units.

Sorry Pete....you've done a lot of work on this for us, Terrence hasn't replied to my email and I have a Samsung. Gotta look elsewhere mate.

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 pm

DealExtreme is Chinese, I think the ones with the remotes would be best, every now and then I forget to turn the geofence off, get like 30 txts with the location, the TK106b looks good and is what ill problem replace the current one with.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Twodiffs wrote:
trucked wrote:

Do you have the link to your chinese tracker?

Sorry Pete....you've done a lot of work on this for us, Terrence hasn't replied to my email and I have a Samsung. Gotta look elsewhere mate.

Yeah I understand.
We really are small fry to him. He goes after the big fish.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 pm

petefj40 wrote:Yeah I understand.
We really are small fry to him. He goes after the big fish.

Shame really as we on ORE combined make up at least a thousand 4wd vehicle owners with maybe 2-3 vehicles per per family. Even if only a few percent of us buy some units thats got to be a few thousand bucks in his pocket for no advertising outlay.

The problem with customer service is that bad service generally get talked about more than good and its really hard to correct a bad first impression. I generally buy local if I know I will get good service, but if its going to be indifferent then I'll take my chances with a cheaper offshore deal and save some money. Maybe I'll lose in the long term but thems the breaks.

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Hang on...I only said he hadn't replied to my email, he might not have looked at a computer yet. Don't misconstrue this for bad customer service.

Give the guy a chance..especially if you have an iphone (if what was said before is accurate). It's early days yet.

I've got a Galaxy S i9000 and they seem to have a 'not so good' rep for their accurate gps hardware. Plus it seems I can't enter coordinates on it
which is not gonna be much good.

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

Twodiffs wrote:I've got a Galaxy S i9000 and they seem to have a 'not so good' rep for their accurate gps hardware. Plus it seems I can't enter coordinates on it which is not gonna be much good.

Why would you need to enter GPS co-ords on it if the tracker sends you the google maps link with the co-ords prepopulated?

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am

Twodiffs wrote:I've got a Galaxy S i9000 and they seem to have a 'not so good' rep for their accurate gps hardware. Plus it seems I can't enter coordinates on it which is not gonna be much good.

I dont mean to sound rude, but i think you may be alittle confused.

The phone hardware has no impact on the gps tracker. Providing the phone can send a text and open a web browser it will be fine.

I know the Galaxy S i9000 and the other first models of the galaxy came out with complete and utter useless gps but this has no impact what so ever on the accuracy of the tracker.

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:39 am

Twodiffs wrote:Do you have the link to your chinese tracker?

I bought my tracker in nz from trademe for $155 as i needed it in a hurry, couldnt wait 15-30 days for it to arrive. Below is the exact same tracker except bought direct from china at around a cost of $84 nz dollar delivered depending on exhange rate.

It has the remote as well so its easy to arm/disarm, with out the remote it will cost you a txt each time its armed/disarmed.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TK103B-Car-GPS-tracker-Remote-Control-Quadband-Car-Alarm-Free-Portuguese-PC-GPS-tracking-system-Google/708938_501640141.html

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm

I probably am getting confused...I was under the impression that the tracker sends the coordinates of the location, ok so thats not so bad then :P .

I'm quoting the reply from Terrence below, i've also asked him about what smartphones it may or may not work with.

"HI Thanks for your interest

to answer your questions, yes the disable option is a VLD 2000
Re monitoring, our system is not live(GPRS you send a txt to the unit and it will recieve this command and either turn off or porvide a map direct to your smart phone or to our website which you would have password access to. Our units incurr No monthly fees however youo are required to top your sim card up a minimum of 1 time per year. An annual system web fee of 25 $ is required to keep your web access live, this pays for map upgrade website operational expense

your other question re sending a txt when broken into can be achieved by interfacing the TPM VLD with an alarm,,,this is expensive but I could quote if required, we did provide this option 2 years ago but the alarm fitting costs were very expensive total secuirity package was over $1000 fitted

hope this helps

Kind regards

Terrence"

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Twodiffs wrote:I probably am getting confused...I was under the impression that the tracker sends the coordinates of the location, ok so thats not so bad then :P .

The tracker does send you the location in a text. with co ords speed, direction and time and my one sends a google map link. But your phone does not have to have a working gps to be able to use them. All it needs is a web browser and it will follow the link.

Below is a copy of what the text is from the tracker. If you click on the link it will show you where the tracker is.

Tracker wrote:lat:-43.599845 long:172.619985 speed:0.00 dir:81.
T:19/10/12 06:30
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=-43.599845,172.619985&z=16

And before you ask no im not crashed in the trees on the worsley just a sample location.

The green marker in the google map is the actual gps location mark, the other being what address it is at.

Return to “Stolen / Lost and Found”