13th and 14th April

curly12
Hard Yaka

13th and 14th April

Postby curly12 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Slow weekend eh guys on the 4wd front???

So I thought I would pop in and ask a question. I am replacing the kingpin bearings this week on the pos nissan farken whale for a wof that will be on it when goes up for sale next week. It is leaking oil out of the bottom kingpin bearing and I thought they were only filled with grease, is there an inner oil seal on the axle?? I havent had the axles out since I put the autolocker in and Taz01 tried to kill us all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :mrgreen: and still have another 1000 words to write tonight for an essay due in at 8am tomorrow so can't even think about going through my safari workshop manuel

If so are they hard to replace, where is a good place in Whangarei for bearings and seals, how much should I tell Ray i want for my front autolocker and anyone want to swap it for a diesel car??

:mrgreen:
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Re: 13th and 14th April

Postby mudtroll » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 am

It will be the inner axle seal leaking, about $10 from BNT.
Not hard to replace, a bit time consumer though, hardest part is levering the original seal out, knock the new 1 in with a suitable size socket.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am

mudtroll wrote:It will be the inner axle seal leaking, about $10 from BNT.
Not hard to replace, a bit time consumer though, hardest part is levering the original seal out, knock the new 1 in with a suitable size socket.

whilst at bnt get a seal removal tool
a long screwdriver type handle with a hook on the end works mint

curly12
Hard Yaka

Postby curly12 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 pm

mudlva wrote:
mudtroll wrote:It will be the inner axle seal leaking, about $10 from BNT.

whilst at bnt get a seal removal tool
a long screwdriver type handle with a hook on the end works mint

Thanks all :D
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Replaced the front struts and coils on the mitsi for the second time. Still not sure how Ironman call them a 40mm lift. even with their 15mm extra spacer rings I've only gained 30mm.
First set squeaked all day so Terraquip sent a new set. So far so good with these. Can get the chains on the 32's now.
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:07 pm

curly12 wrote: how much should I tell Ray i want for my front autolocker and anyone want to swap it for a diesel car??

:mrgreen:

Haha sell it cheap as chips probably extra chrispy chips at that :lol:

If only you wanted a cheap petrol car. I'm selling a 1993 Honda civic sedan nz new 1owner from new (we are the second owner) 1.6 auto. Not fast but does 100kph and only $40 round trip to Auckland was a winner for us while e got the wife's car sorted over the last 6months. I'm wanting around the $3k Ono haha but could do a straight swap for your whale as is don't worry about the wof etc. lol
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 pm

got some more time on the playdoh over the weekend .have redone the speed sensor by taking out pto spacer and putting sensor in its place .Made a bracket up that bolts internally in the transfer .Drilled a hole out of the cover for wires then siliconed it up .Took it for a drive and now have all 4 gears .A lot nicer to drive .Found out why my brakes are shit ,my new vh44 extra booster has a hole in the diaphram ,bugger.soon as i blocked it off had brakes back .excellent as nearly took out a guy in a hilux yesterday due to lack of brakes . :shock: .now have to fix my NEW oil leak from pto cover :oops: ,make a driveshaft loop ,adjust handbrake,more work on main brakes,tidy last of the wiring and then almost ready for certing . :D
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:09 pm

sig wrote:got some more time on the playdoh over the weekend .have redone the speed sensor by taking out pto spacer and putting sensor in its place .Made a bracket up that bolts internally in the transfer .Drilled a hole out of the cover for wires then siliconed it up .Took it for a drive and now have all 4 gears .A lot nicer to drive .Found out why my brakes are shit ,my new vh44 extra booster has a hole in the diaphram ,bugger.soon as i blocked it off had brakes back .excellent as nearly took out a guy in a hilux yesterday due to lack of brakes . :shock: .now have to fix my NEW oil leak from pto cover :oops: ,make a driveshaft loop ,adjust handbrake,more work on main brakes,tidy last of the wiring and then almost ready for certing . :D

so there are roughly the right amount of teeth on the selected gear for the computer to get its signal?

Pedro

Cambo
Bush Crasher

Postby Cambo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Removed the stuffed hitachi turbo off the terrano and replaced with a garrett unit - goes heaps better now :D the Garrett turbo is alot better designed. Also removed inlet manifold and cleaned 23years of crap out of it :shock: chucked new filters and oil in it, adjusted front wheel bearings and regreased the hubs.

Been a good weekend

reddog40
Bush Crasher

Postby reddog40 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Had a childfree weekend so started work on the new car trailer, got sick of that so decided to weld the new floors in the XY got 1 done then export time! no more work done once the beer tasting starts. Firewood today amazing how much fits in the back of the VX.

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Finally got a bit of decent seat time of my new truck. Work ran a trip up the Branch River to Greig's Hut. We had four trucks, two work Tritons, a V8 Disco and myself.
And today I did the Marlborough Club training day. Gave myself massive fright driving up a steep forestry track into blinding sun strike when I had a bit of right lock in and tried to drive up the side of the track, only realising when it felt all wrong.
No pics sorted of either trip yet, but here is a pic of my new toy.
Attachments
image.jpg

andy3542
Hard Yaka

Postby andy3542 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Fitted the new rims to the safari. -44 offset looks a lot better then standard wheels. :lol: Last time I put 10.5" tyres on 10" rims as well. Started work on my new rear bar which I'll finish this week so can tow sibainmud next weekend.
Also cleaned the loom and cables off my new motor ready to sort out the complete loom and get ready to start the process of getting it in.

Cheers
Offroad Addiction TV

https://www.facebook.com/OffroadAddictionLtd/

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Lost my clutch on the way home from Nelson :( , Not a total surprise. Went from not being able to hold 5th to not being able to hold 1st at the end as I was trying to get it up the drive way to the local workshop

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:26 pm

got another gear off my spare auto and had karlos machine it so it will slide over the shaft .worked a treat :D
Pedro wrote:
sig wrote:got some more time on the playdoh over the weekend .have redone the speed sensor by taking out pto spacer and putting sensor in its place .Made a bracket up that bolts internally in the transfer .Drilled a hole out of the cover for wires then siliconed it up .Took it for a drive and now have all 4 gears .A lot nicer to drive .Found out why my brakes are shit ,my new vh44 extra booster has a hole in the diaphram ,bugger.soon as i blocked it off had brakes back .excellent as nearly took out a guy in a hilux yesterday due to lack of brakes . :shock: .now have to fix my NEW oil leak from pto cover :oops: ,make a driveshaft loop ,adjust handbrake,more work on main brakes,tidy last of the wiring and then almost ready for certing . :D

so there are roughly the right amount of teeth on the selected gear for the computer to get its signal?

Pedro
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 pm

andy3542 wrote:Started work on my new rear bar which I'll finish this week so can tow sibainmud next weekend.

For those who are wondering, we have a major road trip planed for next weekend and for the first time EVER, I'm trailering T2 up there because it is suffering from severe neglect (wheel alignment is shot) and it has no chance of getting a new WOF due to rust, amongst other things :twisted:
I think it has just become a trailer queen :cry:
Reminds me, have to sort a trailer :roll:

Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

IcedJohnno
Trailer Trash

Postby IcedJohnno » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Had an interesting trip up to 1550m altitude with 3.1 tonnes of pre-mix on board, lots of tools, cement, lengths of timber etc and towing my trailer with a mixer on it, more tools, tensioning chains and winches.
Broken River Ski Club has a great wee Toyota Dyna 4wd tipper and normally climbs the upper section of our track called 'The Horror Stretch' in 2nd low with 7 bobcat bucket loads of local gravel on-board.

Saturday mornings trip had me in 1st High over Porter's Pass (unusual) and perhaps I should have figured it out then...
Halfway up the Horror Stretch around a narrow kink with a rock bluff on the upper side and a 500m vert drop on the lower, she was bogging down. Hooked 1st Low, stalled and rolled back about a metre!
Breathed... and suggested the passenger might like to as well!
Handbrake start and away she went, at not much more than rock-crawling speed.
The previous owner (a long-standing BR Club member) who has carted many loads of track shingle/clay up there in it, reckons he has never needed the lo low 1st low. Reckons it would climb the side of a house in that gear.
Yay for that!

Learners Tow drive-unit tower rotated 180 degrees for safety reasons, aimed at the top tower, chain guyed from 3 points to vertical, and set in concrete. A good weekends work, in beautiful sunny surroundings, with good mates and some nice beer. Oh and the obligatory steaks on the lodge deck BBQ too!

Drurban
Hard Yaka

Postby Drurban » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Replaced my gear levers for extended ones as I have bodylift, this is a project which has finally been done and I must say inside the cab is a whole lot quiter now that Iam using a complete boot than a cut up one.

Also managed to get 540K's to a tank of deisel in my truck and I could of gone longer as light did not come on yet so happy with that.

Cheers
1997 Isuzu Mu, 3.1TD, 5sp Manual.

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Had a club trip up to Serpentine church on Sunday. Nice sunny day, dry conditions and only a couple of mud holes to play in. Was a diffferent loop compared to last time I was up there so good to see some new land.

Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

hamboy
Hard Yaka

Postby hamboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Went along to the club traing day yesterday, had a ball and learnt a few things. Also met snotgoblin, (cheers for the air mate) cant wait for the next trip

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 am

juz wrote:Had a club trip up to Serpentine church on Sunday. Nice sunny day, dry conditions and only a couple of mud holes to play in. Was a diffferent loop compared to last time I was up there so good to see some new land.

I miss Otago 4wheeling :-( shame the Mrs doesnt want to go on an excursion.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 am

wjw wrote:I miss Otago 4wheeling :-( shame the Mrs doesnt want to go on an excursion.

that's a good thing Bill, leave her at home to look after the kids :mrgreen:
I hate signatures

Return to “This weekends achievements”