8th and 9th August 2015

nzlux
Hard Yaka

8th and 9th August 2015

Postby nzlux » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:57 am

Started the weekend by fitting a new Mudstuck 9,500 winch to my hilux.

In answer to the questions I had before fitting the winch

1. Yes a 9,500lb electric winch can be installed into a MCC winch bar on LN106 hilux without removing the bar, it's a one man job even.

2. No there is no where to mount the solenoid box out of harms way, it is cabled tied on top of the winch bar for now.

I will get some longer leads next week and mount the solenoid box under the bonnet, with a battery master switch on the positive lead so I can leave the winch turned off, might even add in cab controls as well.

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: 8th and 9th August 2015

Postby derk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:49 am

nzlux wrote:I will get some longer leads next week and mount the solenoid box under the bonnet, with a battery master switch on the positive lead so I can leave the winch turned off, might even add in cab controls as well.

try use the biggest mm2 cable you can find to keep the resistance down the cables they supply with most of those entry level winches is low gauge and tends to get a bit warm and droopy its not good for the performance and longevity of the winch motor when thing's are operating under those conditions :D and try and get a high amp rated good quality isolation switch like BEP or Hella that can cope with the high CCA winching load rather than a budget one that's another place you can end up with resistance in the circuit, after throwing the money at the bar and winch you might as well finish the job off properly :D

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Re: 8th and 9th August 2015

Postby nzlux » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:59 am

derk wrote:
try use the biggest mm2 cable you can find to keep the resistance down the cables they supply with most of those entry level winches is low gauge and tends to get a bit warm and droopy its not good for the performance and longevity of the winch motor when thing's are operating under those conditions :D and try and get a high amp rated good quality isolation switch like BEP or Hella that can cope with the high CCA winching load rather than a budget one that's another place you can end up with resistance in the circuit, after throwing the money at the bar and winch you might as well finish the job off properly :D

Will do thanks for the tips

Return to “This weekends achievements”