Tony's Tyre service...

Nizsafari
Hard Yaka

Tony's Tyre service...

Postby Nizsafari » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi all,

Here's the problem.... Took my 35x12.5 Creepy to my local Tony's to get a tube repaired and refitted.. all good
Tore off a valve today in the bush and when i popped the bead and removed the tyre, the bead was ripped in 2 places.. I know the bead was good before it went to Tony's but now its farked...has anyone else had an issue like this with Tony's Tyre Service??

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Re: Tony's Tyre service...

Postby Petemcc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:31 pm

yip i have on a car tyre. where are you located. go and tell them and they should do something about it. i got a set of 2nd hand tyres for free cos of it. took at lot of stuffing around and tyres weren't really any better then the ones they damaged.

Pete

Nizsafari
Hard Yaka

Postby Nizsafari » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Petemcc wrote:yip i have on a car tyre. where are you located. go and tell them and they should do something about it. i got a set of 2nd hand tyres for free cos of it. took at lot of stuffing around and tyres weren't really any better then the ones they damaged.

Pete

I'll go pay them a visit in the morning and see what they say...

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:35 pm

yes after ralleywoods QBW , asked them to strip and rebalance a tyre , took half hour , directional tyre put back on back to front had half a litre of water still in it when i got to auckland
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Yep, when Rob last swaped my tyres we found they had badly torn one of my simex beads :| :? :evil:

Thats why I pay Rob to do my tyres and dont take them to the free schoolboy service

taz01
Tazzles

Postby taz01 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 pm

yep just before qbw they destroyed a bead on one of my swampers rang steve lang in palmy and presto 2 new ones cause you cant buy 16x9.5x34 anymore .....ring him..........
WARNING:
Insanity has replaced reason in the modification of this vehicle

you can follow me, but its gunna hurt

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:17 pm

pete, thats what happens whn you buy 2nd hand tyres in the first place. and the beads rip for a few reasons ie the tyre is old and the bead is startin to crack and bits just fall off the bead or the rim can cause it to rip because the lip on the rim is to big or has a sharp bits on it. if you have tubes ripped beads wont make any difference. not every tyre turns out the same as the one before it, some have slightly weaker beads some arent perfectly round etc etc.
needs more curry

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm

you guys still sold me the 2nd hand tyres so if they were fucked in the first place then that is your fault too. I spoke to a few other tyre fitters about it and they all said that is was due to improper fitting. One even wrote this down for me and said to get you guys to ring them if there were any problems etc. I don't know much about it, Could have been something that is unavoidable and could have happened anywhere. Bad luck i suppose.....

Pete

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:55 pm

it comes down to improper fitting , i know cause ive done it to heaps , did a good one thr other day stripping some of my mags on a brand new 2 speed machine at the local f/s shop, managed to tear a good size piece out, i was being lazy and didnt use lube and trying to do it to fast, i have seen some where the bead rubber is glued back on with bead seal and refitted. doesnt affect the safety of the tyre and 99% of the time they dont leak if the rims are still in good nick. funny how the fitter thar strips it and finds it will rubbish the person that fitted it even though they would of done it plenty of times them selves and never said a word to the owner of the tyre, im sure even skid would of done a few in his time . only machines that wont do it iis the old pole ones you walk round, scored one a couple of months ago for $150 so will mount that at home to save a trip to town, wherever you go tell them that you tyres are f*****g expensive and to be carefull.
vaughan

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:16 pm

spanky wrote:it comes down to improper fitting , i know cause ive done it to heaps , im sure even skid would of done a few in his time .

yup, its the same old story, if nobody sees ya and ya can get away with it then on it goes

haven't done that for a few years now as you get a little more experienced over the years and learn to understand when its going to happen and you can stop before the shit happens.

it can take a while to fit 4wd tahs, but if ya can do it stand by the man doing the fitting so ya can keep an eye on it, but don't get in his way.

during the last few years, when I fitted simex's, swampers, creepies or similar, I haven't bothered to balance them as they tend to take close to 300-400 grams of weight and it looks gay going half way round the rim.

I have driven on them or my mates have driven on them and they have never really felt a balance issue without the weights either.

I no longer fit dem tahs anymore, my back was faaarked so I have moved on to try anf faaark it even more with batteries.

SKID
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:22 am

I had the same thing with Flags tyres (CHCH) they were nearly new creepys and they put at least 2 gauges in each tyre they may be a hard tyre to fit but I think its careless mupets that have no pride in their work to do damage like this. Shame to stuff $2000 of tyres. Now I use Scobie Tyres and could'nt be happier with their service, Workmanship and knowledge. Highly reccomend them.
GU patrol 35s ect.
Money and time pit Suzuki Build.

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 am

should've came and seen me i've done a few guys tyres on here and no drama's even get the wheels balanced within 10 to 15 grams of being out no ripped beads here
needs more curry

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:27 pm

I took some silverstones into Tony's for balancing basically as I couldn't be stuffed doing myself down at the workshop and they said they couldn't do it and it couldn't be done, I pointed out to them that they have to take the weights already on the rim off first to balance it :shock:
Then took it to tyreland over on Bower ave, they fit and balance truck tyres, balanced no problems and the weights, due to being truck tyres weights, didn't take up much rim space in the first place. I then took the balanced tryes back to tony's and pointed out that maybe in future they should employ managers who can hire staff that know how to do the job properly. Tore their sticker off my truck and gave it back to them.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 pm

i bet you went to fitzgerald average didnt you??? next time come to blenheim road its a different kettle of fish at this store
needs more curry

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:22 am

i bet you went to fitzgerald average didnt you

Yep you got that right, I used to go to Armagh street but the manager left and it all went down hill from there. If my memory is correct, he went to blenheim rsd I think, hence the reference then hey. :wink:
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:02 am

Odd, isn't it? How all these comments are from bigger centres.
here in dear old Wangas, I use Tony's exclusively for tyres and associated services.

When I moved here 15 years ago, I decided that I would give em a try and if they was ok, would give loyalty in exchange for good service. It has been even so.

I always get good service, excellent prices and free puncture repairs as per the blurb.
Yes, some of the fitters ARE a little young, but they gotta start sometime and somewhere as we all did.
On the VERY rare occasions that I have had a prob, a quick chat with the manager and all's sweet in minutes.

I wonder if its cosI live in a smaller centre, where job competition is higher?

B.

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:58 pm

albundy wrote:
i bet you went to fitzgerald average didnt you

Yep you got that right, I used to go to Armagh street but the manager left and it all went down hill from there. If my memory is correct, he went to blenheim rsd I think, hence the reference then hey. :wink:
Al

Was going to mention Armagh. Worst. Service. Ever. For ALMOST any business I've ever delt with. Farked a bead and said it was already like that (no grease on it either, hmmm), tried to over charge me, and lost a part of the mechanism that holds the spare tyre up on the car I had in there, then took a lot of convincing then me having to sort it out for them to get it replaced. Useless!

Will be dealing with Blenheim road from now on when the need rises

I think the thing about mistakes is that they do happen but if you are TOLD and they are sorted promptly and professionally most people think about that, and not the mistake in the first place.

I wonder if its cosI live in a smaller centre, where job competition is higher?

I'd say more customer competition. Theres a lot less people to only have come through the doors once.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

pajeroboy
Hard Yaka

Postby pajeroboy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm

well i would have to agree with going to blemihem rd,i had a little bit of stuff done at fitz ave,shit service took over and hour andhalf to fix a punture and then they fitted a directal tyre on the wrong way,never go back there.blemihem rd guys are pretty good.one ofthe managers from there has gone to armagh st now.
33" muddies, 50mm body lift, ball joint flip, quick release front sway bar,40mm lifted rear dobi springs and new shocks,custom sill body armor,custom front bar.

SAM

fj40
Hard Yaka

Postby fj40 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 pm

my partner took her subaru in to them with a screw in 1 tyre told her she needs 4 new ones evan tho thay all had 6mm of tread :) she rang me i told her thay do free repars thay told here the tyre was f**d so she got a second hand 1 when i got home i looked at the tyre and the screw hadnt evan gon as deep as the tread so i took it back in and all of a sudden the hole was right thro done with the ass holes valv remover when i looked away that was TONYS TYRE IN PALMERSTON NOTH :evil:
its not how big the 4x4 is its how angry the diver is

xr650r
Driver/Navigator

Postby xr650r » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 am

dragging up an old thread but just did a search while im waiting for my puncture to get repaired

this thread has got me wondering about tonys tyre service. the last puncture i had i was told it couldnt be repaired so i brought a new tyre and then they said that they couldnt put in on with my other rear (something about being directional or not directional didnt really pay much attention). it was pretty worn so didnt really ask any questions so ended up buying 2 new tyes, and also brought the tyre insurance

have just dropped the flat off that has no obvious puncture so it will be interesting to see if this also cant repaired.... and if not what they will do since i have the tyre insurance

and the armargh st branch has gone downhill - its closed down!

xr650r
Driver/Navigator

Postby xr650r » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:24 pm

no dramas - fixed for free. my faith is restored

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:26 pm

A mate used to manage the Lincoln Rd Tony's tyres branch here inj Chch. Him and family moved to Auzzy over a year or so ago.
I used to get the best tyre deals off him. No one could do better.
But just before he moved he told me that when Tonys Tyres sold to a tyre manufacture (a couple of years ago now) everything went down hill. Their buying power went, over night.

Now it pays to shop around.
In Christchurch. As far as my truck goes? i won't have anyone else touch my rims and rubber other than Rick and Nathan at 4WD Accessories, 172 Montreal street, 03-365-1909.

They know there shit re off road rubber. After all, that's all they do.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Tony's is now owned by Firestone... so maybe thats why you no longer get the NZ owned good service.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:56 pm

tallsam66 wrote:Tony's is now owned by Firestone... so maybe thats why you no longer get the NZ owned good service.

Cheers for that Sam. i couldn't remember which company brought Tony's Tyres.
My mate in Auzzy was gutted they sold because before then, they were a family owned business and he loved working for them.

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:52 am

Armagh st closed as the rent was to high and it made business sense.

Yes we are owned by bridgestone. The service is still the same nothing has changed only we are now owned by a huge company with more money than us.

With punctures you can not always see the cause of the problem.

If you've had issues at the other stores come to blen road. Theres 2 of us that get dirty in the mud and we know our offroad rubber.
needs more curry

kaney
Hard Yaka

Postby kaney » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:52 am

mud_slinger wrote:Armagh st closed as the rent was to high and it made business sense.

Yes we are owned by bridgestone. The service is still the same nothing has changed only we are now owned by a huge company with more money than us.

If you've had issues at the other stores come to blen road. Theres 2 of us that get dirty in the mud and we know our offroad rubber.

Have and will again, hamish and the crew are great to deal with.
toymota thats stock standard.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:14 am

kaney wrote:
mud_slinger wrote:Armagh st closed as the rent was to high and it made business sense.

Have and will again, hamish and the crew are great to deal with.

It's best to stick with people that look after you. I'm with you there kaney.

Though.
After hearing about your service and good wheel deal at Tony's. I thought I'd give them a shot. Though they were helpful, the fella I was dealing with ordered the wrong rims. I found this out because I went back to Rick at 4WD Accessories and told him, "Tony's ordered those rims I asked you about and said he could get them in 15 X 10 inch!!!". Rick told me like he did the first time. "they don't bring out a 10 inch wide rim in that wheel". And then he phone B&G wheel wholesalers who import them, whom Tony's get them from. And they confirmed that. Then Rick asked the wholesaler, "has a Tony's shop in Chch ordered a simular set, x5 15 X 10 inch rim this morning?" They replied, "YEP!". Then Rick asked, "are they the same rims as I'm asking info on?" They go, "NUP! They are the rims that are pictured next to the ones you're after". Rick goes, "Thanks!" and laughs as he puts down the phone. :twisted:

I'm pissed about that first. Cause I got hopes up that I'd be getting 10inch wide rims. And second. Cause the dude farking circled the rims I ordered in pen and ordered the wrong ones!!

I'll stick with the people that look after me. :roll:
Rant over.

rayndeb
Hard Yaka

Postby rayndeb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:49 pm

I got some tyres stripped at tonys blen road ,They told me the tear in the bead was already there .After looking properly I noticed that there was no lube on the beads.I worked in the tyre game for 3 years and know when a tear is new.Bit pissed off but too late once damage is done.I hate when you ring for a quote and they pester you for a week after.Got my number confidential for that reason.
90 Landcruiser Vx 4.2 turbo 5 speed part time 4wd 75mm lift air lock in rear 35 Wranglers snorkel swaybar disconnects

skidtoy
Hard Yaka

Postby skidtoy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 pm

i run a tyre store in new plymouth and there is cheap service and then there is service which will bring customers back to you and tell there family and friends.

as said above a rip bead on a tyre running a tube isnt the end of the world as it doesnt effect the tyre in anyway when tubes are fitted...but in saying that it always pays to take your tyres to a store which can do the job in a A+ manner in the 1st place...if you take your tyres to a store just because they are the cheapest in town you get what you pay for. my store deals in mainly low profile performance type tyres and 4wd. i have customers bring in wheels that other stores have started to fit then cant finsh the job...which says alot for the quality and training of the workers.

Return to “Product Reviews / 4wd Service”