gps,which type?

andrew007
Hard Yaka

gps,which type?

Postby andrew007 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:13 pm

hi guys,i are looking at buying a gps for 4wding,mainly for maps,ploting new tracks found & done etc.what do you guys recomend & why?
cheers andy :mrgreen:

MikeL200
Gadget Guy

Re: gps,which type?

Postby MikeL200 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:26 am

Mike
1989 LandCruiser MWD BJ74 13BT
33 Deserthawk XMT.

[color=#FF4000]If guns kill people, then,
Spoons make people fat,
Pencils mis-spell words,
and Cars make people drive drunk.

021 666812

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 am

I use my LG andriod smartphone with the app back country navigator.
Reasons why:
1. I need a phone anyway.
2. The phone came with a windscreen mount, easy to see and handy position, and a cable to pug into 12 volt, GPS on a phone uses the phone battery fast with the cable the phone never goes flat
3. The app cost $12, allows bulk download of NZ topo maps, can record tracks, and show multiple tracks on screen which can then be followed.

tycho
Hard Yaka

Postby tycho » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:59 pm

If you are looking for a vehicle mount type you could try the Garmin nuvi500. Takes an SD card for the Garmin Freshmap topos. Is shower and dust proof also. Not a cheap unit and is fairly old technology now. Some people like the Hema units also. I just use my iPhone and iPad. I like the iPads screen size and ability to swap between GPS applications.

bacon 1
Driver/Navigator

Postby bacon 1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:20 am

Just another question, are you better off with a Garmin/hema/tomtom or navman as if using your phone GPS and you loose reception your screwed right? ( as my phone did when trying to get around Auckland.

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:24 am

bacon 1 wrote:Just another question, are you better off with a Garmin/hema/tomtom or navman as if using your phone GPS and you loose reception your screwed right? ( as my phone did when trying to get around Auckland.

Depends, with backcountry navigator I have download the maps through my home wifi, so no need for reception, or data, so long as my phone can see the sky that is all I need.

bacon 1
Driver/Navigator

Postby bacon 1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks for that I'll down load that app and give it a try. Cheers

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:49 am

Hi Andrew.

There's a lot of forum discussions about the pros and cons of dedicated GPS receivers versus smartphone navigation apps. What is best really comes down to what suits your needs and budget best. For my own outdoor pursuits I'm quite happy with a smartphone app (always backed up by a paper map and good oldie-fashion compass). There's a free trial version of Back Country Navigator that you can download to try out for a month. You can download map areas from the NZMS topo50 map series before you head out so it doesn't matter if you're beyond cellphone coverage, unlike online maps such as Google Maps.

If you're already using a smartphone give it a whirl...

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:56 am

You can save a map of an area for offline use in Google Maps.

Also, some lower end phones don't necessarily have inbuilt GPS . Hence lose signal when cellphone coverage is lost. Maps normally load in blocks.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:08 am

Main problem with a Smart Phone for navigation , is that as soon as you get out of cell tower reception , your phone with constantly try to reconnected to the cell tower network. Even though it still has full GPS connectivity to the GPS satellite.
To do this it transmits constantly at full power , very quickly draining the battery . If you put it in Airplane mode , GPS is disabled.
Smart phone battery's aslo do not handle the cold very well at all , going flat very quickly .

Secondly , Smart phones have only a limited GPS receiver (Inefficient antenna,low power transmitter,limited channel receiver) and rely on GPS-A (Cell Tower Assisted GPS triangulation) for accuracy and fast positioning.

Therefore as soon as your out of a Cell tower reception , under thick tree cover or down in the bottom of a gully/ravine a dedicated GPS is going to work alot more accurately and reliably .

Lastly , modern handheld GPS units often can also use the Russian GLONASS positioning system satellites as well as GPS , for those time you cant get a triangulated fix with GPS or the Americans have dialed down the accuracy of the civilian GPS network due to military maneuvers .

I use a Garmin GPS Map unit , a little clunky compared to a smart phone , but non touch screen (ever tried to use a smart phone with wet / muddy hands?) uses AA batteries and is water proof.
Garmin Maps are good but horrendously expensive , however there are lots of TOPO map options that you can load in .

I also use a Smart phone and iPad in the Truck for general navigation and mapping but would never rely on them as a sole navigation device .
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

stu_71
Hard Yaka

Postby stu_71 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Oregon series from Garmin. Windscreen mount or handheld. Is touch screen which I like a lot.
Free maps for garmins with the awesome guys over on nzopengps. Just drop a donation to help em out :wink:

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/o ... il/oregon/

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Evening All,

Interesting comments - most folks I know who are going off the beaten track have a handheld unit. Some I know are into geo caching too.
They all swear by a dedicated handheld device.

For my two cents on this my old handheld used AAA batteries. This meant I could easily carry spares and didn't need to charge the device when it went flat. It did come with a vehicle mount kit also.

Anyhow I am considering fleeing the country and taking an in car GPS (Sat Nav) unit with me. I see a couple come with "Lifetime World Maps" and other similar features. Has anyone used their in car device overseas, beyond Australia?

I am thinking UK and USA mostly. The two I have seen and am considering are below;

https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/phon ... 39040.html

https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/phon ... 39043.html

Thanks - listening.

Matt

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:55 am

I have been using my android based phones and OziExplorer. Download the Topomaps, convert and go.
Never had any issues with reception. But need to get a phone with GPS receiver.
Never worried about power consumption or it going to full power mode as it is plugged into to cigi lighter .
The phones I have used (Samsung) will allow you to enter airplane mode and stop the phone side of things but allow you to turn the GPS back on. Good if you are going walking and not plugged into charger.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:37 am

I've been really happy with my basic Acer Iconia 7" Android tablet for mapping & nav in the truck. The big screen is great. It seems to pull in a decent gps signal, even under trees. I think it must have a bigger antenna than my phone (Samsung Xcover) as the gps is way more accurate than the phone one. There are heaps of tablets around the $200-$300 range that are similar, just make sure you get one with a gps as the real cheapys don't tend to have it.

Getting a tiny screened thing like a Garmin 62 or Montana for in vehicle use with topomaps would not be my recommendation. Those are more useful for hiking etc where a tough device with a good battery life is vital.

This is my first mount that was a bit of a bodge, have made a tidier one since:

There are a few apps for street maps & topos to choose from. I use OSMAnd (open street maps) for on road nav & Viewranger for topomaps. Both these are designed to work offline, you download the maps you need where you have wifi then go hard. I have the whole of NZ loaded up for topos & streetmaps. Both those apps also work fine on my phone but, as above, the gps fix isn't as accurate as the tablet. I see some of the new higher end smartphones/tablets now have Glonass + gps which could be worth checking out if you are buying a new device & nav is a priority. You want to power the phone/tablet off the wagon as having the screen on all the time will run the battery down eventually.

The tablet is also useful for playing music off & if I switch the phone on as a wifi hotspot where there is coverage the tablet is handy for internet stuff also.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

Return to “Product Reviews / 4wd Service”