Hyundai Santa Fe???

badassblake
Winch master

Hyundai Santa Fe???

Postby badassblake » Thu May 22, 2014 8:07 am

Before I get abused, I would like to point out that I am considering getting one for the wifey. It will never see any offroading, and will probably never tow, but she loves them, and as the saying goes 'happy wife, happy life'.
We will be spending around 30k on one, approx 2010 model with the diesel uprated 'R' engine. Took one for a drive the other day and was reasonably impressed. Lots of options and it leaves my Prado daily driver for dead.

Do any of you knowledgeable lot out there know much about them? Would love to hear from owners of them, ex owners and mechanics. I have looked at other options instead of the Hyundai, namely another Prado, but its hard to justify spending more and getting something a lot older with double the k's on it, and half the options.

Any advice, tips, comments or lighthearted abuse is welcome.
Cheers.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Re: Hyundai Santa Fe???

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 am

I know a few stock agent buddys with them as work cars, they thrash them and take them some remote places and they seem to hold up well. They all rave about them to be fair good power, good handling and they are pretty comfy to

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 am

A friend has a 2010 one. She tows a two horse float with it and she reports it tows really well. She's a farmers wife and lives well off tar seal and it's holding up to daily gravel road abuse well too.
I'm actually quite impressed with it and considering one next change too......... :)

The Green Machine
Driver/Navigator

Postby The Green Machine » Thu May 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Best value for money 4WD on the market, closely followed by the newer Kia Sorrentos. The powerplant in the R series is superb.

divebrent
Bush Crasher

Postby divebrent » Thu May 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Great cars, I've a 2009 2.2 diesel which is old engine. Great on trips and cheap to run.. we avg around 7l on long trips 8.6ish round town. Engine is round 115kw heaps of pull. 4wd on demand works well in snow and wet grass. Brother has a 2013, old shape new motor, he loves it, tows dbl horse float and 5 pp. round the waikato and still avg.'s about 10l/100km. reckons around 5l/100km on flat without trailer. That R engine is suppose to be around 145kw and loads of torque. He previously had a 2010 pathfinder and couldn't get anywhere close to the same economy with no trailer or passengers that he now gets all loaded up. Only recommendation is to do all servicing at recommended intervals or sooner especially the oil changes as interval on the diesel is 15000km intervals. Talking with some mechanics and they claim 99% problems caused by dirty oil as result of extending the interval or using incorrect grade oil.

Cheers
1993 TOYOTA KZJ78 3.0 1KZ-TE

badassblake
Winch master

Postby badassblake » Thu May 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks everyone. Good tips aswell on the servicing. Also looked at the Nissans and still couldn't beat the Hyundai for price, economy and safety features.

Return to “Product Reviews / 4wd Service”