Lokka front diffs

liam14
Winch master

Lokka front diffs

Postby liam14 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:36 am

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a Lokka front diff for my Mazda Proceed. Was wondering if anyone has had good experience with them ?
Proceed Leading The Way

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Re: Lokka front diffs

Postby nzlux » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:11 am

I have Lokka's in the front and rear of my solid axle LN106 hilux, the amount they increase my traction is incredible.

The front Lokka does nothing when in 2wd with hubs unlocked, so no change to road driving, steering does get heavier in 4wd (noticeably) but not too bad, my ute does have power steering.

I did break a CV and shagged the end of an axle with the lokka, I forgot it was there (you get use to the heavier steering and think of it as normal) and full noise at full lock on hard ground trying to slide around a sharp tight corner turing onto a gravel track. In hindsight should have used 2wd.

The axle / cv was probably 25 years old anyway. I replaced both CVs and the front axle with chromoly ones. If I break anything in future it should be the hubs which are easier to replace.

In an ideal world it would be a selectable locker in the front. But as auto (un)lockers are low price and give a huge increase in traction I just could not justify price of a selectable locker in a 25 year old ute..

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Similar story here. Couldn't justify the extra cost.

Would be nice to have it selectable for tight corners but you live with it.

Also have blown a few CVS by giving it a lot of power on lock. Same thing would have happened with an engaged selectable locker tho.

Sales and service from the Lokka guys is good too. I had to order replacement springs and pins which were well priced and quickly delivered.

Matt.

toyniz
Stropper

Postby toyniz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:14 pm

nzlux wrote:I have Lokka's in the front and rear of my solid axle LN106 hilux, the amount they increase my traction is incredible.

The front Lokka does nothing when in 2wd with hubs unlocked, so no change to road driving, steering does get heavier in 4wd (noticeably) but not too bad, my ute does have power steering.

In an ideal world it would be a selectable locker in the front. But as auto (un)lockers are low price and give a huge increase in traction I just could not justify price of a selectable locker in a 25 year old ute..

x 2 for this ^^
Got one in the front of the Safari. probably the single best mod after decent tires.

pudd99
Driver/Navigator

Postby pudd99 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Where do ya get these from fullaz?
Cheers in advance
Beer is not the answer... beer is the question, yes is the answer

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:07 pm

I got mine from http://lokka.com/site/

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Ive got a lokka in my rear end (sounds weird)
Its basically a rebranded Lockrite.

Quality product, just need to make sure the setup is correct (couple of fine tolerances)
Worst case if you break the pins it will still work, it just stays locked.

I have heard a couple of stories of guys flattening the dog gears on the Lockrite, but I put this down to incorrect setup or completely lunatic driving style.

The positive reports far outweigh the negative ones.

I got it through lokka.com\Geartogoannawhere, I found the service was a bit patchy but if you stay on their case it should be all good. Communicating solely via email can be difficult.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:26 pm

I had to order replacement pins and springs as I broke all of mine due to the tolerances being too tight. I emailed them on a Sunday and they were here four days later.

I got my Lokka already setup in a head and didn't check the tolerances. They have to be within spec.

Return to “Product Reviews / 4wd Service”