Baofeng Uv-5r

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Baofeng Uv-5r

Postby Pj_Marsh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 pm

I've been trying to source a decent hand held radio for convoy stuff and hunting, found a lot of the stuff way overpriced and generally under powered. Did a bit of digging and found these chinese ones. Now if you do a bit of research %90 of reviews that come up will tell you they are outrageously cheap compared to similar performing brands, and apart from not being exactly simple to programme are reliable and do the job. I've scored x2 for under $70 and they have been outstanding. Used Aliexpress to purchase them and got them after about 2 weeks postage.

In nz most of the dealers won't sell you them because they can be used for amateur radio stuff and they are super anal about having a license. However, you can still use them just as long as you stick to the free cb channels and don't go harry hardcore trucker on the other channels. Here's a link to the frequencies you can use. http://www.goseenewzealand.co.nz/Technical_Tips.asp?tipid=13&subject=40+Channel+UHF+Information

If you do end up getting one, easiest way to set your channels and freq's are with a free programme called Chirp. I bought a cable from trademe for $6 and it worked great.

Return to “Product Reviews / 4wd Service”