Newbie with a Safari

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Newbie with a Safari

Postby tuckertrucker » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi all!!! I'm Dylan. I'm no expert on 4WD'ing but have plenty of off road time. I am new to forums though. I have a '92 Nissan Safari Granroad. Its the long wheel base model with a high roof. My truck has the silver top TD42 running a 4spd auto. Being a Safari it runs a 24v system with a voltage reducer for the stereo. The bull bar houses two high power flood lamps and a high capacity winch. The engine has an aftermarket garrett turbo running 12psi on boost. I also have a large (almost overkill) aftermarket transmission oil cooler infront of the AC radiator. I have the standard transfer case with auto rear lockers and manual lockers, and run 10R15LT Bridgestone Desert Duelers for the shoes. Standard to safaris i also have five link live rear axle with coil springs and disc brakes all round. 3" high flow exhaust south of the turbo.
I must say, this truck is by far the greatest set of wheels I'll ever want, but in saying that I have a few projects I'd like to do over the years. May need some help with these, and perhaps some initial thoughts or warnings would be great!!
Things to do: trans oil temp guage, EGT guage, manual TC lockup switch, powerful floods on roof linked into high beam (my high beam is useless), Dual power system (so the start batteries ONLY start the motor).
and for way way down the track, perhaps, maybe I might look at something to rig up dual rear tires. Perhaps a Nissan Civilian rear axle. But want it modified to suit both on and off road)with locker with the extra weight capacity and grip - just trying to avoid the width like the GMC pickups. But thats just a dream in a dream.

But for now shes my truck and ticking along without a miss. Looking foward to using this forum to help and be helped!!
Cheers, Dylan.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Newbie with a Safari

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:17 am

Welcome.there is heaps of guys on here with Safaris/Patrols, so you will get plenty of help.
A trans temp guage is really useful, i find. The first one i had installed in the trans pan, but that was a road/drag car, so when i put one in the Nissan R20, I put it in the line that leaves the transmission, heading for the radiator and trans cooler. Not only is this a more simple install, it also tucks the sender up out of the way.
It sounds like you have a capable, practical wagon there. What do you use it for mainly? and what part of the country are you in?
Last edited by BlakeNZ on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:57 pm

I use her mainly on road - its my only car/ transport. I use it for towing, the highway, off road. Anywhere I can take it, Ill try it. Currently in the Waikato/ Cambridge region but soon moving north to the Kerikeri area.

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:57 pm

hey welcome and if ya guna put lights on the roof make sure they are detatchable as being highroof tend to clip them as ya hight is a facter already ( ive dented my roof plenty lol) :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:05 pm

What do you want duels on the rear for out of interest? Will be to wide too be practical for a lot of tracks if you take that road, otherwise if you retain the same width I'm not sure there would be a point to doing it..?

Enjoy the beast either way. They are great trucks and I often miss my old high top :cry:

Also on the roof floods, height as mentioned and also glare, you need set them back from the ridge otherwise they reflect off the bonnet. Easier just to throw them on the front, plus these days with the LED options you can get some powerful lights that are quite compact, so you 'need' less and they take up less room. Win win.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Taz wrote:What do you want duels on the rear for out of interest? Will be to wide too be practical for a lot of tracks if you take that road, otherwise if you retain the same width I'm not sure there would be a point to doing it..?

It was a night on the turps and I saw a landy with the rear duals and thought - now that looked mean! I've gone off the idea now, but for a while I liked it haha.

Return to “New Members and Beginners”