New to it,again - Chch

DMNTD
Winch master

New to it,again - Chch

Postby DMNTD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Hey all, have just moved down to Chch (3 weeks) and decided to buy a '96 Surf 3.0 turbo diesel (currently standard) so we can go exploring.
Would be appreciative for any help re good places to go and school myself up without freaking out the wife too much. I'm a terrible cook so this is very important.
Looking towards a snorkel and diff breathers in the near future but happy to just have a nosey about for now.
I keep hearing about the Waimak, where abouts can we go in and have a decent drive? Managed to find an entrance near the end of Tram?? Rd but that was pretty short.

Any help appreciated, cheers

tycho
Hard Yaka

Re: New to it,again - Chch

Postby tycho » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Welcome :)
Yes heaps of river beds, if you are after a longer drive you could head up the Eyre River to Oxford. Lots of driving in the Selwyn, prob pay to head upstream from the highway if by yourself. Would highly recommend checking out some of the Canterbury 4wd clubs. Lots of knowledge, access and others to help pull you out if you get stuck :). The Canterbury braided rivers are great but demand respect as they can change rapidly and can get very soft in places. Also pays to check for and avoid nesting birds etc

On an aside Christchurch has seen a lot of 4wd thefts so a good alarm would be recommended :)

DMNTD
Winch master

Re: New to it,again - Chch

Postby DMNTD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:15 am

Good call re the alarm, cheers

If anyone is going out for a bit of a fang and doesn't mind someone tagging along do call out.
Don't worry I'm not a wuss, I'm just not set up so river crossings and deeeeep mud as yet

Return to “New Members and Beginners”