Maybe moving from Aus to NZ and want to bring my truck

jonesy
Stropper

Maybe moving from Aus to NZ and want to bring my truck

Postby jonesy » Fri May 23, 2014 10:47 am

Hi guys,

I've been made a job offer in Palmerstone North and have been weighing up all the options with the wife. One thing we have been thinking about is bringing over the truck we have now.

Now my question is how easy is it going to be for me to get it register with the mods I’ve got done to it? What’s involved in getting it certified? Will I need to make some changes to get it on the road?

2006 GU Patrol,
Running gear:
Zd30
Auto trans
Chipped computer
23/4" exhaust
Suspension:
4" spring lift
long span shocks
still running sway bars ect
brake lines extended
33" mud tarrain tyres (305-70-R16)
Body:
ARB safari front bar
Kaymar duel tire carrier rear bar
Spot lights
Interior:
Up graded front seat (sport buckets)
UHF
2 driver pillar gauges (egt & boost)
Rear draw system (deleted 3 row seats)
Cargo barrier behind 2nd row seats

Its been set up for long range touring and would be a shame if I had to sell it and start again. I've never had a problem with the police/rta with it over here.

Dave
Sorry hit submit before i finished writing

jonesy
Stropper

Re: Maybe moving from Aus to NZ and want to bring my truck

Postby jonesy » Fri May 23, 2014 11:05 am

Couple photos of the truck with the old 35" tyres
Attachments
DSC_0258.JPG
DSC_0232.JPG

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Fri May 23, 2014 11:09 am

Its fairly easy, alot of imports coming in from Aus these days, your mods will be no problem, itll get a low volume cert done on import for lift etc. I know of a ZD30 patrol recently imported so Im pritty sure itll meet our emmisions laws. Below is a link for all you need to know.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/step-two/australia.html
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri May 23, 2014 2:07 pm

one bit of advice....clean it, clean it some more, clean it again and just to make sure clean two more times. IF it comes into the country with even a blob of mud or dirt, leaves, spiders cobwebs any sign of it, they will not release it until it is cleaned...then they'll do it and charge you for it.

And make sure any repairs to it are proper as you can't get an imported car road legal here anymore if it's been involved in an accident.

otherwise you'll be sweet as "bringing your car with you" will make it exempt from a few things like frontal impact (bullbars).
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Fri May 23, 2014 3:01 pm

the only thing thats gonna hold you back (sans certing for some of the mods) may be emmisions related. As said, since you've owned it for ages you might get away with it, but it would pay to slam the LTNZ or where-ever you'd get it complied (vinz/vtnz palmerston north) an email or call to make sure you can get around that as AFAIK unless it's older than 20yrs, imports need to be at least euro4 now.
hopefully there's a loophole wide open that lets you around that part. the mods look fairly easily certable and if not, then easily put back to stock enough to get through.

look forward to seeing you around palmy

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Fri May 23, 2014 3:09 pm

looks like you might be ok! so long as you don't want to sell it within a year of getting here.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/facts ... hicles.pdf

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Fri May 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:And make sure any repairs to it are proper as you can't get an imported car road legal here anymore if it's been involved in an accident.

Ahh still plenty of damaged vehicles being imported, fixed and sold there mate. :roll:
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

Armz
Hard Yaka

Postby Armz » Sat May 24, 2014 6:23 pm

I'll be interested to see how you get on and the costs associated with it is. Ive been thinking about moving back home to NZ in the near future and would love to take my Mazda Bravo (Bounty) with me, but im guessing compliance costs etc may make it not worth it.

The thing I've been paying careful attention to and cant find the answer to, and may also be an issue for you depending on what model patrol is its, Is my ute is the DX model - the base specs model out the factory which means it doesnt have airbags, and hence the model was never sold new in NZ. So not too sure if it would therefore meet the frontal impact rules as all cars imported new or used after March 1999? I think were required to have airbags

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat May 24, 2014 7:00 pm

yes it was sold nz new as was the base model D22 navara as the nz army ones came without airbags either.

No ADR compliance plate? You'll need to get a statement of compliance as evidence.

You may not have to prove your vehicle complies with frontal impact standards if:

it is more than 20 years old
it is a 'special interest' vehicle
you're emigrating to New Zealand and seeking to take your vehicle with you.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

jonesy
Stropper

Postby jonesy » Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks for the reply’s guys.

Well it looks like I’ll be coming over for a couple days to have a look around Palmerstone North. Who in this area should I talk to about compliancing my truck?

Looking on Autotrader I've found a couple GU Patrols with ZD30s so would make the assumption that it wouldn’t be too hard to get it passed emissions.

It does have airbags and the bullbar is designed for airbags (it the top of the range ARB bar and is fully compliant to all Aus regs)

Its never been in a crash so don't need to worry about repairs, though it does have a couple battle scars which are just superficial on the bar work.

No just to find who I could ship it over with and get some prices.

Anything else I should look into?

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 pm

I deal with compliance here in NZ. I have a few contacts in Auckland who deal with this sort of work regularly. Palmy doesn't really have too many, but there are a few in Wellington (1.5-2 hours from palmy and a nice drive with out traffic)

If you want to know more feel free to PM me.

jonesy
Stropper

Postby jonesy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Well I was over last weekend to have a look around Palmerston. Had a chat to a couple workshops and vtis and confirmed that I'm able to bring the Patrol over with us and all the mods can be signed off easy enough.

Also it looks like I'm going to take the job so will be over with in a couple months.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:15 pm

welcome jonesy. What does the job entail?

jonesy
Stropper

Postby jonesy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks
It'll be a little bit before we're over but would be keen on meeting some locals once the patrol is over.

Well I'm a structural designer/draftsman. Will be working for a local company tha does a lot of milk factories and powered milk factories.

Now the fun of finding a rental that will allow two dogs

jonesy
Stropper

Postby jonesy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:59 pm

We'll I'm here, took the job and have been in Palmy for almost 2 months.

As of yesterday the Patrol is now rolling the street. Took a little bit to get it on the road but its good as gold now.

If you see a Gold Gu patrol give me a wave.

Also keen to meet up sometime for a bit a look at some local tracks

Jonesy

on2it
Hard Yaka

Postby on2it » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Nice! Congrats.
FJ62

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:31 pm

There are a few ORE guys in palmy, a lot head down to rallywoods in welly for a play... Imsure the locals will pipe up and take you out for a drive.. North range road is a good scenic run (under the windmills) and Takapari road has a few fun tracks beyond the A frame hut.... Was it much hassle getting compliance?? I would bring my GU back if i ever moved home 8)
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Return to “New Members and Beginners”