First Car

samstanton51
Winch master

First Car

Postby samstanton51 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi guys, Im Sam from Hawkes Bay. Im 17 and im looking at buying my first car. I want something that will go really well off road but also be ok on road and be suitable for possible towing in the future. I would like to spend around $6k but could stretch to $10k possibly (depending on how much my parents will loan). I am really interested in getting a 1kz surf prefferably manual but i could also deal with an auto. Does anyone have any ideas on vehicles that could be better?

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Re: First Car

Postby J_Dub » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:05 pm

With that budget mate you have a lot to choose, comes down to what your preference is. What's more important first and fore most? On road comfort or off road ability?

Spend $4k on something then $2k on mods?

I like the surfs, they feel like a car to drive, n heaps of aftermarket parts, the 1kz motors are good but sensitive.

Do u want a 2 or 4 door?
Pajeros are tough and comfortable.
Nissan's have good motors

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Last edited by zukmeista on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:45 pm

samstanton51 wrote:I am really interested in getting a 1kz surf prefferably manual but i could also deal with an auto. Does anyone have any ideas on vehicles that could be better

1987-1995 Nissan Pathfinder V6

Much stronger diffs
Much Stronger IFS
Better dimensions
More manoevurable/compact
Better LSD
Lower factory gear ratios
Manual gearbox capable of 450hp
One of the most awarded engine families of the 1990s. Very reliable and non sensitive engine ie actually suitable for wheeling
The chassis doesnt bend when you wheel it hard
Competitive price point
No Toyota tax
Can fit 33x10.5s with less than 1" of lift
Easy to fit a factory front LSD
Easy to make the steering bombproof
The wheels dont fall off like they do on the later toyo design where the lower balljoint is in a constant state of tension

Otherwise consider an Isuzu
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:10 pm

If its mainly road then a mildly nodded IFS truck is the way. If a lot of off road then a solid axle like a Land cruiser, Prado, Safari.

4k will get you a great Terrano, Bighorn or Pajero with a manual turbo diesel. Bit more for a 1KZ Surf. A decent solid axle truck is going to be at least 8k.

If its your first vehicle then in my view you should spend as little as possible until you suss out what you like.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 pm

samstanton51 wrote: I want something that will go really well off road but also be ok on road and be suitable for possible towing in the future.

What sort of towing your wanting to do would determine what sort of vehicles would be suitable, 1kz's tow fine but you'd want to expect them to $crack a head$ until you've got a few 100,000km's under your belt and know how to drive them to keep the egt temps down :D so factor in a spare $2-3k for head repairs if you buy one :D

as a first vehicle consider it as just that and a stepping stone to find out what you really want as you learn and develop more experience and knowledge, stick to something basic and common, keep away from oddball or less common shit like lada's, pajero junior's, Daihatsu ruggers, unfinished projects, unwarranted and unregistered vehicles and anything like that it'll only end up burning you in the arse when it comes to finding parts for them and keeping them running the same goes for buying old classic vehicles like fj40 landcruisers, sj410 zuk's and series landrovers (all landrovers for that matter :D ) that'll be full of rust and worn out shit that'll cost a small mortgage to keep them legal and get a wof stuck on them every 6 months :D

happy hunting and don't forget to google the shit out of whatever you want to buy to find out what sort of problems they have :D

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Last edited by zukmeista on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:34 pm

Only two on trade me, would say that makes them oddball. They might not crack heads but they have no power.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Last edited by zukmeista on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:13 pm

and be wary of people cluttering your thread with their unwanted trucks there trying to peddle on trademe buy what you want to buy not what other people want you to buy :D

evilknieval69
Bush Crasher

Postby evilknieval69 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Lol @ zukmeista having another tangy and pulling his posts
Pajero's a good option. 3.5 v6 or 2.8 diesel

Stronger diffs than terrano
Stronger ifs than terrano
Dimensions? Meh, similar I guess
Just as manoeuvrable as terrano
Mint LSD, just as good as terrano, maybe better
Gear ratios can be average with big tyres but still good IMO
Won't smash a gearbox to bits like a terrano (although v6 terrano box ok)
Diesel engine magic IMO, v6 grunty but too much electronics etc, still mint, mine was faultless but has potential to be bad, diesel better option IMO
Chassis don't bend either
Pricing mint as, on par with terrano
No toyota tax either
Fit 33" tyres with no lift
Front LSD not as easy as terrano but not needed anyway lol
Steering already bombproof, don't need to upgrade like terrano
Wheels don't fall off either

I wouldn't get an Isuzu, but that's my opinion, they're probably not a bad choice but can be expensive.

Just giving another view/mainly stirring a little bit since there's so many obsessed with Terranos on here lulz :)
Terranos more popular TBH

lax2wlg wrote:
samstanton51 wrote:I am really interested in getting a 1kz surf prefferably manual but i could also deal with an auto. Does anyone have any ideas on vehicles that could be better

1987-1995 Nissan Pathfinder V6

Much stronger diffs
Much Stronger IFS
Better dimensions
More manoevurable/compact
Better LSD
Lower factory gear ratios
Manual gearbox capable of 450hp
One of the most awarded engine families of the 1990s. Very reliable and non sensitive engine ie actually suitable for wheeling
The chassis doesnt bend when you wheel it hard
Competitive price point
No Toyota tax
Can fit 33x10.5s with less than 1" of lift
Easy to fit a factory front LSD
Easy to make the steering bombproof
The wheels dont fall off like they do on the later toyo design where the lower balljoint is in a constant state of tension

Otherwise consider an Isuzu

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14 pm

Good post.
A lot of it is debatable though. :lol: The physical dimensions thing would make for an interesting discussion.

Yeah they do seem popular. We should start a Terrano owners club - 'Terrano Owners Secret Society of Aoteroa' or simply 'TOSSA'

Yeah I wasn't hating on the Tojo, They have a massive mainstream following, they're obviously a well made vehicle. I just think they're overpriced for what they are.

evilknieval69
Bush Crasher

Postby evilknieval69 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:59 am

lax2wlg wrote:Yeah they do seem popular. We should start a Terrano owners club - 'Terrano Owners Secret Society of Aoteroa' or simply 'TOSSA'

I actually lol'd at this hahahaha, well done.

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:04 am

I'm going to throw MU into the mix. With that budget you can find a good one and have coin left over for mods and improvements.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:05 pm

evilknieval69 wrote:
lax2wlg wrote:Yeah they do seem popular. We should start a Terrano owners club - 'Terrano Owners Secret Society of Aoteroa' or simply 'TOSSA'

I actually lol'd at this hahahaha, well done.

Ditto. .me three..very funny :lol:

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:13 pm

lax2wlg wrote:We should start a Terrano owners club - 'Terrano Owners Secret Society of Aoteroa' or simply 'TOSSA'

Careful there Lax, there are members on here that make me think you would get an influx of club applicants, many who don't even own a Terrano.

Good work though.

My two cents for the thread, if you are handy with fixing stuff (or want to learn), An XJ Cherokee is a lot of fun for your dollar.
Also I have been pleasantly surprised by the price and performance of the Pajero's, though they are a little heavy.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:40 pm

I've not long bought a lwb pajero and it fair hauls ass

3.5v6 doesn't seem too bad for what it is

Towed a car back from dunedin to chch no sweat
Hoping to try on some 33s this weekend and see how easily they fit

For the price they are a bloody good Wagon

samstanton51
Winch master

Postby samstanton51 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Ok I really dont want a petrol as i dont want to be filling it with gas every 10 seconds like dad does with our 4 litre Prado. My personal preference is against terranos, i just dont like them. I cant have an engine that is too big. 3 litre turbo diesel maximum. Im not going to be doing huge amounts of off roading, but would like something that is very capable if I do. I wouldnt buy an MU as i know a few people with them and they dont like them and always have problems with them. Maybe im wanting more for my money than what is possible. I realise that it will probably be around 300,000kms which is fine. I personally really like the look of the surfs but if people think that there is something much better for the price, then maybe i could be swayed. Also NO SWB MODELS!!!! i need to have 4 doors as 2 is a pain.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:29 pm

A mid wheelbase platform gives a serious advantage in terms of overall stability and climbing ability, hence why all the custom scratch builds go for a 100-110" wheelbase.

Since the Terranos are gay (and bang on 104.3" wheelbase, oversquare short/wide compact design making them very hard to roll) they're out of the picture.

The Toyota Surf also has great wheelbase/approach/weight for a road legal production vehicle. Not so much departure angle but you can always chop all that shit out to get better body clearance.

The Jeep XJ also has excellent dimensions. As does the Range Rover 1st generation. But you need to learn how to drive before you wheel a Range Rover.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:10 pm

Diesel Discovery or Jeep will stretch the budget but would be a good choice.

If you buy a 1KZ Surf make sure its been well looked after or has receipts for work.

cornflake
Hard Yaka

Postby cornflake » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 am

i say go for a ride or a drive in sum of them all the options above have there pros and cons

Return to “New Members and Beginners”