Hi - Lifted Impreza

Jumps
Winch master

Hi - Lifted Impreza

Postby Jumps » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Gonna be after some info on offroader type suspension for my Impreza. I plan to do a double wishbone conversion as the macpherson strut is dumb.

I've done a 4 inch suspension lift using forester suspension and a 4 inch body lift.
Future plans include a bar, snorkle and maybe radiator relocation to top of motor since that now sits 4 inch lower. Then I can cut the front off for more approach angle :D

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: Hi - Lifted Impreza

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:57 pm

different! be interesting to see how it goes.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Jumps
Winch master

Postby Jumps » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:35 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:different! be interesting to see how it goes.

Haha yeah, I'm In Ashhurst, I see you're just on the other side of the hill. Will try and take it on some trails around here

It needs low range with those tyres as it's gutless at low speed in sand. The motor is a highly strung thing and it makes no power below 3k.

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:36 pm

Ha ha... Very cool... More vids please...

Jumps
Winch master

Postby Jumps » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Gyxx wrote:Ha ha... Very cool... More vids please...

Heres one showing how gutless it is down low.

Had do get my clutch kick on :|

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Ah well nothing for it then... The boxer'll just have to go... Wonder what would fit the hole?

Jumps
Winch master

Postby Jumps » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm looking for a low range box from a Forester, which would help.

There isn't a whole lot that will fit as it's only 2 cyl long. The front axles come out of the front of the gearbox so they really have to stay there.

Some joker in the states put a 1100 bike motor in one running the bike gearbox through the 5 speed for massive reduction but not enough grunt for what I want it for.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:51 pm

There are a few subbie gearboxes that had hi and low range selectors. The early gl or loyale wagons had electric difflock too. My 91 legacy also had hi lo BUT it wasn't an option on my particular car from factory it seemed. The gearbox was correct, Subaru just didn't have the linkages and incab bits to make it work. There was a lever on the side of the gearbox and with a throttle cable and a push pull handle it then had hi lo. Towing a loaded car transporter was now possible :lol:

I'm not sure about gearbox compatibility but there are options and adapter kits for those early gboxes. I think cvs would need to be hybridised too. The Legacy one could just plug and play but I think the gl gbox swap is an option I've seen online. Shame too cos I wrecked a subaru loyale wagon in a derby before christmas which had that gearbox.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Jumps
Winch master

Postby Jumps » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Haha I also wrecked a Brumby just before Christmas which has a High/Low box but it looks a heap smaller and I think it would be a waste of time as it would probably break.

Heres a 2003 Legacy that has high/low so I need one of those. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =793034529

Some good info in that thread but TBH it's not worth doing it with old parts.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:30 pm

That wagon i pictured had under 100 thou on the clock. I'd have been happy using it before the race. Even after probably. Difflock was excellent too. Kept me driving with two broken axles :lol: Subbie parts are quite deer from parts guys so if an earlier box would fit it will be cheaper. I worked at a subbie wreckers and have seen the crazy pricing :shock:

Interesting how the hi low lever and console your 03 wagon looks exactly the same as the 90's legacy.

1991 LH drive though with wrx seats

Jumps
Winch master

Postby Jumps » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Oh yeah. It's probably the same gearbox?

I don't know anything about Subarus until I got this so it's like being back in kindy. I know Toyota stuff back to front.

I think I'll just keep sifting around Subaru forums and facebook pages trying to find someone with a 90+ high/low box who doesn't want $800 for it haha.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:44 pm

after watching that first vid i think you should consider entering the taupo 1000 :mrgreen:
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:10 pm

I'd go to the wreckers and ask to see the various motors/gearboxes if in stock and photograph the bolt patterns to see what might match up. It wouldn't surprise me if the ej20, ej22 and ej25 motors shared the same 5mt? gearbox I think you want. Could still have differing bolt patterns though but one should match what you have or be made to match.

A bunch of gearbox codes for you to hunt through.
http://www.gearhack.com/docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart.html.files.hidden/Subaru%20Tranny%20Chart.pdf

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 am

How did you do a body lift? It's a monocoque!

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 am

I imagine the subframes front n rear could have spacers and the same on the shock towers?

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:53 am

Ah yes. That would do it.

Jumps
Winch master

Postby Jumps » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:37 am

mercutio wrote:after watching that first vid i think you should consider entering the taupo 1000 :mrgreen:

I've had this comment from 4 different people haha. Looking into it I think it would be a bit much but I see there is some "Woodhill 100" thing which may be fun. I have one friend down here who did the Taupo 1000 in an RS legacy. Got over half way before encountering electrical problems.

$$$$$$$

Swamped wrote:I'd go to the wreckers and ask to see the various motors/gearboxes if in stock and photograph the bolt patterns to see what might match up. It wouldn't surprise me if the ej20, ej22 and ej25 motors shared the same 5mt? gearbox I think you want. Could still have differing bolt patterns though but one should match what you have or be made to match.

A bunch of gearbox codes for you to hunt through.
http://www.gearhack.com/docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart.html.files.hidden/Subaru%20Tranny%20Chart.pdf

Thanks for the help! That list looks like all the boxes probably have the same bell housing pattern. Mine starts with TY754 like the 5 speed ones at the bottom of list. List doesn't note high/low range but I can probably google more.

Swamped wrote:I imagine the subframes front n rear could have spacers and the same on the shock towers?

Yeah spacers everywhere and extend stuff.
Last edited by Jumps on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:28 am

For qualified professional advice from a real suspension engineer on the double A-arm conversion,talk to DeRanged on here or his other tech posts on various 4x4/suspension sites across the internet.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Jumps wrote:
mercutio wrote:after watching that first vid i think you should consider entering the taupo 1000 :mrgreen:

I've had this comment from 4 different people haha. Looking into it I think it would be a bit much but I see there is some "Woodhill 100" thing which may be fun. I have one friend down here who did the Taupo 1000 in an RS legacy. Got over half way before encountering electrical problems.

$$$$$$$

I did Taupo that year and saw that RS A few times. Was very surprised to see it just kept going. This years 1000 (in Tokoro) sounds like it will be a smoother course, So consider this the second vote. You should do the 1000!
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Checkerhead wrote:I did Taupo that year and saw that RS A few times. Was very surprised to see it just kept going. This years 1000 (in Tokoro) sounds like it will be a smoother course, So consider this the second vote. You should do the 1000!

Is that meant to be Tokoroa? Since google can't find any place called Tokoro I guess it is :) Sweet closer to home
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Lol yep. Terrible typing on my part.

Now called the NZ1000 and will be in Tokoroa.

http://www.aucklandoffroadracing.co.nz/?p=600
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 am

Dude that impreza is freaking awesome :shock:
I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it before.

offroadfoz
Stropper

Postby offroadfoz » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Sweet Imp, love the lifted look. I'm a regular poster on Subaru boards eg offroadsubarus.com and have a mildly lifted Forester myself, located in Dunedin.

Seems you want a dual-range gearbox - you've got a few options there.
1. Leone 5-speed: This has 3.7 or 3.9 (rare) crown gear, with part-time 4wd (no centre diff, just a locking coupler) and 1.59:1 reduction. The full-time AWD centre diff-lock gearboxes from the turbo Leones (white wagon above) had 3.9 gears with 1.19:1 reduction (not great but better than nothing, it's the same reduction as in my 2003 SG Foz).
- All non turbo Leone boxes will require custom axles (EJ cars have 25 spline, so do turbo Leone, non turbo Leone are 23 spline)
- All Leone gearboxes will require an adaptor plate to match the bellhousing, unless you put the Leone internals into an EJ casing.

2. SF (1997-2002) Forester dual-range: 4.11 crown gear with 1.447:1 reduction. Same low-1st reduction as a 3.7 with 1.59 Leone box.
- It's probably your best option, but isn't that strong - SF Forester 1st, 2nd and reverse gears can shear. The SG Forester and Outback gearboxes have stronger gears to cope with the EJ25 power.

3. SG Forester, Outback, Legacy dual-range: Almost all of these are 4.11 with 1.19:1 reduction. Some early Legacies had 3.9 gears.

4. JDM GC Impreza dual-range: 3.9 with 1.59:1 reduction. This is the best factory combo, but is very rare. This car for sale has it: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 950219.htm

5. Brumby dual-range: 3.7 crown gear with 1.447:1 reduction. This does have a locking coupler part-time 4wd mechanism, but is a very old gearbox. Weak, and crap gearing. Only a 4-speed of course.

To overcome the AWD centre diff, you can fit a DCCD centre from an STi, or get the Leone locking centre diff (requires shaft welding).

All post-Leone Subarus have the same basic 5-speed gearbox, post-1998 cars have an 8-bolt bellhousing but this still works with early 4-bolts, just leave 4 bolts out... The Leone 5-speed internals are almost identical to the EJ internals too, case swapping is possible.

Hope you found this useful, a lot of info I know! I'll get around to body-lifting my Foz one day...

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:06 am

8) 8) 8) 8)
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Return to “New Members and Beginners”