Intro - MihiT

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Intro - MihiT

Postby MihiT » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Kiaora katoa.
Just landed myself a Y60 truck, mainly for pulling heavy shit and as a work vehicle, but I'm sure I could justify a few "charity" events offroad. :)

Based in the winterless-summerless north but get around a fair bit and eying up a move south. I enjoy long, moonlit drives on the beach (with my surfacster) Candle-lit dinners (cooked on a trangia) Social drinker, smoker, gsoh... blah blah.

Previous experience with L200s (4G54, 4M40, 4D56) toymotors (2L, 3L), suzys/rodeo (3.2). Come from a family heritage of Landcruisers (FJ40, 60, 70 LC78) so the new wagon is a bit of a salute to them. - Both father and brother have done some big land in Africa/ straya.

Handy enough with a spanner, always keen to learn, will probably find a local club to join but it's early days yet.

Bog stock at the minute but I'll be looking for some pointers and upgrades, I haven't done much research just yet, but if anyone knows of a 2 speed diff that will go in the back of the 'troll, links would be neat, and the rev counter is spastic (I have bought the Haynes bible today) so any debugging there would be good.

Long winded, but it's probably the first and last time I'll say it.
Naku noa na Mihi
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Re: Intro - MihiT

Postby coxsy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:37 pm

long wheel base or shortie , rev counter problems can be a pain A to find an fix
Patrol4x4.com has a safari page lot of good info if you hunt
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:21 pm

coxsy wrote:long wheel base or shortie , rev counter problems can be a pain A to find an fix
Patrol4x4.com has a safari page lot of good info if you hunt

A long wheel base (5 door) cut down to a flatdeck ute. I have signed up at patrol4x4 and will get into fixing things once i get through this week and after giving it a birthday.
Cheers.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:56 pm

oh nice , a cut down throw up a pic when you are able too
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:26 pm

I will do that, having spent a few days cleaning the old girl, only for NCC to cover it in dust today!
I can't take credit for the chop either, I bought it like that, the work was done by coachbuilders in katikati, a pretty tidy job!

She's had a good clean up though, running gear is now running as it should.

I have a few custom things I want to get done: a tipper - hydraulic ram on the deck; on board air using the a/c pump; and on board welding, just for the hell of it. I'm going to have to upgrade the shocks all round. - Does anyonehave any recomendations here? I've had monroe air shocks/ load levellers and they work well, but not sure if they're suitable for the weight/duty of the saf. Otherwise I saw some 70mm maxi trac brand ones the other day which look the horn!

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 pm

and also bullbars / ag bars, rock sliders / runner boards, some bigger mud flaps. and I am big into radio, so I hope to deck it out with UHF, AM CB and a scanner, there's not much room to mount so many antennae though!

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Yeah mate check out gabriel skyjacker or gasryder air shocks. Their site has a pdf file with all the available sizes / duties. Im going to use them for my IFS long travel. The fittings can be upgraded to brass type and you can use thicker air lines ie same as ARB airlocker.

You can set them up crosslinked or use a simple ball valve to isolate each shock.

Supposedly a better product than the monroe maxairs
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Return to “New Members and Beginners”