Considering a Toyota Landcruiser bj71 lx

clubbing80s
Driver/Navigator

Considering a Toyota Landcruiser bj71 lx

Postby clubbing80s » Sun May 10, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi.

Im looking at toyota 88 landcruiser bj71 lx, how is the availability of spares for these and what are the common issues and rust areas ?
Thanks you.
Greg

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: Considering a Toyota Landcruiser bj71 lx

Postby derk » Sun May 10, 2015 6:24 pm

no shortage of parts for those things there isn't much you wont buy from toyo or aftermarket, common rust is windscreen frame, A pillars, floor, around the rear windows, rear quarters and roof guttering, they are an old vehicle now so expect ongoing maintenance, work and cost twice a year when you take it in for a wof :D so long as there's diesel in the tank those 13bt engines seem to keep going for ever :D

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Re: Considering a Toyota Landcruiser bj71 lx

Postby Fakey » Mon May 11, 2015 7:07 pm

derk wrote: so long as there's diesel in the tank those 13bt engines seem to keep going for ever :D

Not quite, mine lasted 2 days in my hands before it broke a piston ring an melted a piston :lol: . Was towing a heavy trailer up a long hill at the time tho..
Mine went because of leaky, worn out injectors I suspect, 330,000ks at the time. It did keep going for another 4 months after that, albeit very smokily. An broke two more rings. End result was two melted Pistons, still drove it into the shed to pull the motor out tho 8)
If it's done high ks maybe invest a little money in testing the injectors an it should give you years of service, they are one of the best 4cyl diesels toyota made
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Return to “New Members and Beginners”