new to offroading

Markw336
Winch master

new to offroading

Postby Markw336 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:19 pm

hi all my names mark and ive decided that i want to buy a 4wd and go offroading while im living down in southland never done it before so will be a learning curve

also need to work out what type of 4wd to buy not 100% what i want which makes it difficult haha

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: new to offroading

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:59 pm

hi mark, and welcome.
you need to ask yourself a number of questions, and take advice once you have narrowed it down a bit.
Firstly, how many seats do you need?
will you ever wish to sleep in it?
How many kms per year will it do?(weekend warrior, or daily driver?)
how hard core do you want to be/does your truck need to be?
How much can you spend?
How much are you willing to spend?
does it need to do heavy/any towing?
answer these questions, and then guys will give you a short list of suggestions.

Markw336
Winch master

Postby Markw336 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:58 am

Hi seats are not an issue. Don't think I'll ever sleep in it. It's going to be my daily driver as well. I just need the truck to be reliable to explore some of the tracks around southland. Probally between 4-7 for the truck then go from there for mods. It may do some towing in the future not heavy tho

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Next question is what end of the off roading spectrum excites you? Do you want to go to see the sights?, do you want to go the hardest places you can find? Do you want to go hard places as fast as you can?

As far as mods go, can you do stuff your self? or do you need to buy something that is 100% good to go?

If you just want to get out and about a bit, see the sights, club trips etc a jeep xj or a Pajero can be had cheapish and don't need a lot spent to make them pretty capable. Both of these can easily be had at or below the lower end of your budget. Leaves more money for mods and trips.

If you want to beat on it then probably get something with a solid front axle. Safaris kind of have everything you need from the factory. You can run decent size tyres on a standard drive train, they have disc and coils all round, they are just a bit dearer and heavy. A single cab hilux is another pretty capable factory option. Throw 33"s tyres and a winch on it and you will reliably go lots of places. Less strength and power than the safari but less weight. Both of these options will likely be at the top of your budget.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:51 pm

a suzuki on 31s may suit you, the 1600cc being not too thirsty as a daily.
a diesel surf with a lockrite in the rear diff would also fit in your budget.
so many options.. but let me tell you this, it is normally WAY cheaper to buy a truck that already has bits on it than to buy a stocker and then add everything. However, doing a truck up into what you want is also rewarding in other ways.
As an example, a cheap set of mud tires can cost you $900, a MCC bullbar $1100, a decent locker for a diff ($500-1600, depending on what you buy) a suspension lift is $600-700 for an entry level system, much more for bigger better quality components, a UHF $300, so even a budget build starts to add up.
Last edited by BlakeNZ on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markw336
Winch master

Postby Markw336 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:01 pm

Yes no stranger to working on vehicles lol also work in automotive parts so keeps costs down on that front I think I prefer swb such as the safari and I'm a Nissan guy but willing to go toyota or mitsi or something different not looking for the harshest track or going extreme fast just more scenic and fun lol

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:57 am

If you like your Nissans, then a Safari will reliably take a fair bit of abuse, its main downside, and upside, probably being its weight, it allows you to bulldoze your way thru a lot of things, but can also help you sink and become hopelessly stuck in anything too soft :) One of these will probably be at the very upper end of your budget tho. If you want something not so hardcore that is also a good daily, prehaps a Terrano? Pretty good wagons, can be had pretty cheap leaving more to spare for mods. If fuel cost doesnt worry you then V6 ones can usually be had even cheaper if you want to go a bit faster on the road :)
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:55 pm

and if you like a terranno , but still want the SWB, then consider a Mistral SWB. All the suspension/steering/drivetrain mods that suit a terrano also suit the mistral, and the TD27 turbo is an excellent daily driver.Admittedly the inter cooled ones (1997 onwards, round headlights, bonnet scoop) that are SWB on trade me are currently $8-9K, which is above your budget, but occasionally one will come up for around $4-5K. The SWB ones have much better departure angles than the LWB.
add Mud tires and a steering idler arm brace, and you will be wheeling.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Checkerhead wrote:If you want to beat on it then probably get something with a solid front axle. A single cab hilux is another pretty capable factory option. Throw 33"s tyres and a winch on it and you will reliably go lots of places.

Nahh that's too vague, a Gen II IFS Pajero V6 has a stronger front end than a SFA Hilux. Plus factory options that will give it an edge such as PTO winch and locking rear differential.

Its important to remember that the Hilux was never actually designed as an offroad vehicle. Its a utility vehicle that was designed to carry a ton on the back, hence why they won't climb a hill unless the front axle is relocated (ie completely re-engineered).

The reason it has a solid front axle is because that's all they had at the time. They have stiff springs designed for load carrying, very little wheel travel and the J-arm steering is infamously weak and needs to be upgraded for reliable use with a 33" or larger tire. The factory birfield joints are not particularly strong either and 33" is generally considered to be about the limit if you are operating in high traction conditions (ie not just mud bogging). The reason that factory Toyota Hilux diffs are strong is because they have tall ratios and are powered by an anemic 2.2L engine. Start putting on bigger tyres/more gear reduction/more power and you will start breaking the diffs easily.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 pm

What a crock of misinformed internet generated bullshit. Lax, you Zuk are part of the reason this forum is loosing appeal, you guys have some good info put appear to try to be cleverer than you are and always end up posting bullshit.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:54 pm

klompy wrote:What a crock of misinformed internet generated bullshit. Lax, you Zuk are part of the reason this forum is loosing appeal, you guys have some good info put appear to try to be cleverer than you are and always end up posting bullshit.

Nahh its all true, you just don't like to hear the truth so you are going on the defensive. Its a good vehicle, it just wasn't designed as an off-road vehicle.

The reason this forum is declining is because its a hostile environment where instead of presenting a good counter argument, young cocky guys gang up and bully one another. It's not OREs fault, its a xenophobic, pack mentality that is representative of broader NZ culture. Its that thing of 'attack the topic, not the poster.'

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. I have no idea who you are but I'm happy to tell you about my 15+ years experience in the off road world, which includes servicing OHV vehicles for the US Military.

Give me a good counter argument instead of the low blows. :D

Markw336
Winch master

Postby Markw336 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Well this is not how I expected this topic to go but it goes without saying that everyone has there own opinions and are well entitled to it.

I like my nissans and mitsubishis but at the end of the day they all have bad points and good points most are different to other manufacturers but I'll probally choose what ever picks my eye and ticks all the boxes at the time of purchase.

And thanks to all the ideas and opinions it's pointed out a few factors that I need to look in too.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:27 am

Markw336 wrote:Well this is not how I expected this topic to go but it goes without saying that everyone has there own opinions and are well entitled to it.

LOL, Welcome to ORE. There are a few of us here with strong opinions, some with great knowledge and some with knowledge that seems to be used only to start an argument. As you have seen above, many different opinions and many good snippets of advice. Pic and choose a bit what to take on board and you will find this forum is a gold mine of useful info. And now I'm going to take Lax's bait and be childish.

"Well allow me to retort"

lax2wlg wrote:
Checkerhead wrote:If you want to beat on it then probably get something with a solid front axle. A single cab hilux is another pretty capable factory option. Throw 33"s tyres and a winch on it and you will reliably go lots of places.

Nahh that's too vague...

No shit, I was trying sum up 5 or 6 vehicles in as many sentences.

lax2wlg wrote:a Gen II IFS Pajero V6 has a stronger front end than a SFA Hilux
Maybe. Have you any numbers to back that up? I would agree they are certainly comparable in my limited experience with the two. But if you want to beat on it, there are less moving parts on the solid front end, so less for you to maintain. Also, when bashing through things, it's nicer to have the suspended axle housing smashing things rather than the solid chassis/bash guard of an IFS system.

lax2wlg wrote:Its important to remember that the Hilux was never actually designed as an offroad vehicle.
Of course the Pajero was, hence it's striking similarities with the unimog for example. Oh wait, I'm talking shit just like you. (Note, None of the vehicles mentioned above were designed specifically for offroad use, every person on this forum recognises that except for Lax apparently. He makes a valid point about the Pajero options like PTO, factory locker and the front ends are really strong compared to what you hear about Toyota and Nissan IFS setups)

lax2wlg wrote:I have no idea who you are but I'm happy to tell you about my 15+ years experience in the off road world, which includes servicing OHV vehicles for the US Military.
Ya see, that's the difference. Klompy has heaps of experience too, but he's the kind of guy who appreciates that we have two ears and one mouth and uses them in that ratio. He won't spend all day telling you how awesome he is.

Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:34 am

You do what pleases you, stuff the rest of them. Drive a few makes/models and see which one puts a smile on your face while staying within your budget. Keep some money spare for on-going, planned and unplanned maintenance.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Jay
Hard Yaka

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:56 am

..... :D
Attachments
Popcorn.jpg
Popcorn.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 3659 times

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi mate try and go a long to club night at your local 4x4 club introduce your self try jump in with one of the lads as passenger on there next shiny trip and then a club trip it will help what road you wana go down with your wheeling no point buying somthing set up for club trips if its shiny trips that are for you and visa versa im sure your local club would love to get some one out there and show them what they do.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:42 pm

Where in SOuthland are you?
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Checkerhead wrote: And now I'm going to take Lax's bait and be childish.

Yes, that was definitely childish.
Actually going to the trouble of generating a meme - that's outstanding!

Toyota LandCruiser - purpose built off road vehicle
Toyota Hilux - purpose built utility vehicle designed to complement the Land Cruiser and part of a broader product lineup, that can indeed be very capable offroad with modifications (why would any manufacturer offer two directly competing products?!)
Toyota 4Runner/Surf - SUV designed to offer a good compromise of on and off road performance, and bridge the gap between the LandCruiser.
Nissan Patrol - purpose built off road vehicle
Nissan Terrano/Pathfinder - Compact SUV aimed at the 4Runner, designed to offer a good compromise of on and off road performance.
Jeep Wrangler - purpose built off road vehicle
Mitsubishi Pajero with the 240hp V6 - quite possibly the best off road racing vehicle ever made (opinion)

Markw336
Winch master

Postby Markw336 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:52 pm

NJV6 wrote:Where in SOuthland are you?

I'm in invercargill

Return to “New Members and Beginners”