2" terrano lift help

Alistair2015
Stropper

2" terrano lift help

Postby Alistair2015 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Hey guys, I'm quite new to the 4wd scene and am pretty keen to get into it :) I have a 1990 terrano 3L v6 version ( yes it goes through gas like no tomorrow ) and want to do a 2" body lift as its cheaper than a suspension lift for now. Because this is my everyday car I want to do it properly and am needing some help as to what exactly you need to do. I've watched a few videos and gone through a few forums and have the general idea but they all do extra different stuff like extended brake lines, extended fuel tank filling pipe, radiator bottom hose shortening?? And so on so just want to know what you guys have done :) thanks in advance. Also if anyone is in queenstown general area that has done it and would be keen to help that would be awesome. Chur

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Re: 2" terrano lift help

Postby zukmeista » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:24 am

By the time you add in cert cost ($500ish) it's not really cheaper. Legally required to have a cert for bodylift now, don't need one for a small suspension lift though. I bought a pair of lifted rear coils for my truck for $200 and wound up the torsions to match, so shouldn't cost too much.

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:00 am

Yeah as Zukmeista said, it's not cheaper at all when you count getting the cert done.

You state you're new to the 4wd scene? Why then do you want to jump straight into lifting? This should really be one of the last things you would need to do and if it's not being done for performance then don't bother. You'd be better off spending the money strengthening your steering and getting some seat time than worrying about lifting right now. But yeah, if you really set on lifting (and doing it cheaper) then look into some HD or Isuzu Bighorn springs for the rear and a slight tweak in the torsions for the front. :D
Te Rino
'92 Nissan Terrano | Intercooled TD27T | 33 x 10.5s
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42742
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

Alistair2015
Stropper

Postby Alistair2015 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Cheers guys, done a bit of 4wding since i brought the truck but ive only since brought a proper 4wd truck. I wasnt aware that cert was required, last i heard 2' body and 2' suspension was the limit you could go legally but thanks for the info. I want to do the lift as ive just got new snow chains and they rub slightly on sharper turns and wanted to do a lift eventually but now that ive got this problem I might as well do it now as I like the tires I have :) what do you have to do to wind up the torsions? cheers

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:40 pm

If it's only on turns then it's likely your front torsions have simply sagged, considering you can fit up to 33 x 10.5" tyres on there without lifting when using factory lego style rims.

Do a quick search and you'll find plenty of tutorials on how to adjust your torsions, but Don't go too far or you'll be worse off than when you started :lol:
Check out the "strengthening WD21 front end" thread under the Nissan page too, always worth a look for tips on getting the most out of these vehicles.
Te Rino
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

Alistair2015
Stropper

Postby Alistair2015 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:18 pm

Cheers stovanovich,
had a quick flick through that thread and found a tutorial on youtube about torsion arms and seems pretty straight forward. how much is too much though? Ill put up a picture of how the front tires are sitting tomorrow to see what you think. But at this stage a few rotations or more? as i said i dont really know much of the technical talk and know how and don want to do big damage. thanks for all the help guys :) im slowly learning

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:41 am

Just check the bump stops, you generally don't wanna go less than 1 1/2" gap between. If you're not confident in it, perhaps take it in for an alignment and ask them to do it for you (you'll need one after adjusting them anyway)
Te Rino
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

Return to “New Members and Beginners”