New Surfer keen to get into the offroading

hendo

New Surfer keen to get into the offroading

Postby hendo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Gday everyone,

Bought myself a new 4runner Surf SSR-X 1994 3.0 turbo diesel at the beginning of this year. It's being used for my everyday commute and a couple of times I've taken it offroad on minor tracks like the Waimak river in Christchurch.

Engine, suspension, body and everything else on the truck is stock standard and sort of planning to keep it that way, as I've heard any mods to the engine can have bad results for the cams. The only changes that came with the truck were mud tyres fitted.

I'm now looking for some more adventurous offroading, those scenic hidden gems of places too. I don't want to try any tracks where raised suspension would be a requirement or advanced experience in offroading as I'm still pretty fresh to the game.

Definitely open to all advice on the truck and offroading, would love to hear your favourite spots to go to and explore (anywhere in South Island)

Cheers!
Ben

Hoochnz

Re: New Surfer keen to get into the offroading

Postby Hoochnz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Not many responses there Bro..
I came here looking for the exact same thing.

Ashohman
Hard Yaka

Postby Ashohman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:47 pm

join a 4wd club mate best advice you can get. always got trips on

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:58 am

If you have got a decent set of tyres and you only plan on reasonably easy stuff then you a probably pretty well sorted. Tyres probably make the biggest difference at this end of the scale. If you plan on going places by your self, a winch is a pretty good idea (and knowing how to use it). Whether by your self or in a group you should also have the following,
jack and jacking plate (so your jack can still work on soft ground)
snatch strap.
proper recovery points front and rear. (factory ones are almost always not acceptable)
fire extinguisher
first aid kit
shovel
water

A few accessorises you might like to help keep your nice truck nice
rock sliders (keeps the banks etc off your doors when you end up some where you didn't plan to be) Tom's off road and custom can help here (find on facebook)
prs radio
diff lock (whole new conversation, and a winch is way more important)
snorkel (cheap insurance for your expensive motor)

As for places to go, I'm newish to Canterbury so I'm not much help there. As Ashoman said, join a club (4x4 events maybe). Obviously you will get people who are keen to suggest places and help you out, also you get the benefit of liability insurance when on a club trip. Also join 4wd canterbury and beyond on facebook. It feels like a for sale page a lot of the time, but there are definitely a bunch of helpful people on there (who may come drag you out when you get stuck down the waimak)

Good luck.

Arron.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Return to “New Members and Beginners”