bought a d22 and i dont know what to do

dirtyd22
Stropper

bought a d22 and i dont know what to do

Postby dirtyd22 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi all, I've just picked up a d22. 389xxxkms on it with a qd32 for 1500 bucks, bought some 32x11.5 dulers to go on but there half worn already, the thing is i have no idea what my trucks capable of,where to go nor do i have any mates with trucks to get me out of the shit i will more than likely put myself in immediatly, the other thing i would like to know is how much can i give the torsion bars before they let go, i can wind and wind em but i get nowhere, do i have to put em all the way up?
any help is appreicated, im christchurch based also if that helps

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: bought a d22 and i dont know what to do

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:31 pm

there's heaps of guys down your way that you can tag along with. Most of them don't mind pulling you out, but don't like you tagging along if you haven't got the basics like rated recovery hooks, snatch strap, fire extinguisher, first aid kit etc. So do some reading up on what you need, and take some advice on the torsion winding thing, as it sounds like something is not working right. Remember you need a wheel alignment after you crank up the front. what will you do to lift the rear the same amount?

dirtyd22
Stropper

Postby dirtyd22 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:53 pm

im more than keen to tag along but i dont want to be that guy getting stuck where others arnt, as for the back end i plan on either making/modifying or buying longer rear shackles as it seems a bit more safer than buying blocks to put it on i imagine lifting blocks wouldnt be overly keen on alota sideways force am i correct??

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:35 pm

when you are under the truck(attaching your recovery hooks), give it a clean and then spray it with paint (or rust killer if any surface rust) so it won't rust out on you.
Then do some driving in places where you won't get stuck e.g. farm/gravel quarry/stony trails etc. this helps you test out the capability of your truck . Lokka do a cheapish locking front diff for a d22 from memory. D22 snorkels are $210 on trade me. make sure the rear LSD is working(check for the orange sticker on the diff saying "LSD oil only" to confirm you have an LSD) My mistral one wasn't working well, the diff shop cleaned it up, and restacked the plates, big improvement.
I assume your QD32 is non turbo?

dirtyd22
Stropper

Postby dirtyd22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:07 pm

thank you for your advice, i have a friend in springston with a dairy farm, very flat land but maybe take it for a drive there when its muddy as, rated recovery hooks, can you please elaborate, will a decent rated d shackle thru the factory points cut it?? i think my LSD is OK, i cant see anywhere that it says it has an LSD but i got curious and heel toed it and both wheels spin, iv also driven around a few roundabouts in the wet and it doesn't try let go on me so i don't think its welded, and yup, shes non turbo, any ideas how to stop black smoke under load? lol
thanks for you reply :)

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:55 pm

a d shackle through a tow point will be fine when you are not very stuck, and just skidding in soft stuff. However, if you are REALLY bogged, then experienced four wheelers will NOT want to tow you out like that. They will want to see "rated" shackles, and rated hooks. There is heaps of info about this on this website, please search and read, as i suggested in my first post. I learnt lots.
"rated" equipment have been tested to a maximum strain/pull, and have a rating stamped into the metal.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 642999.htm
Don't confuse these with a common trailer chain D shackle.
This below is a recovery hook. Needs to be bolted solidly to your truck. Most factory ones look solid enough, but apparently don't cut the mustard.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 193924.htm
Just remember your 1600kg truck will put 4.5 - 5 ton of strain on the recovery gear that is pulling it out,IF IF IF you are bogged up to your sills.
If you can't get the recovery hook thing to work for you, get someone like Kaiapoi Repowers to install them.
get searching/reading , matey!!!!

dirtyd22
Stropper

Postby dirtyd22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Really appreicating all the help aye.:-)

dirtyd22
Stropper

Postby dirtyd22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:29 pm

also im aware off looking at ratings on stuff as ive had alot of experience in the lighting and sound industry where everythings rated to shit!

Return to “New Members and Beginners”