newbie in nelson

SaltireNZ
Driver/Navigator

newbie in nelson

Postby SaltireNZ » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi, bit nervous about posting as i just bought a 4x4 and slightly woŕried that everyone is going to say i bought the wrong thing!
Anyway....here goes...it is a Safari Granroad (a 1999 low roof Maverick type) with 4.2L NA diesel Y60 TD42 engine and LWB. Seems to be a capable off-roader; originally wanted a LC Vx with triple diff locks but those things cost twice as much!
Where can i find info aabout off road tracks etc. In the top of the south?
Cheers

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Re: newbie in nelson

Postby Smurf » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Nothing wrong with your choice of 4wd.
There aren't a heck of a lot of tracks in the Nelson area,
There are a few good spots up towards Saint Arnaud and over towards Collingwood.
We tend to head away a lot for weekends in Reefton and Westport 4wding and camping with mates.
The Nelson 4wd club is very active and may be an option for you.
Feel free to get in touch and come away with us on a trip if you like.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: newbie in nelson

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:31 pm

SaltireNZ wrote:bit nervous about posting as i just bought a 4x4 and slightly woŕried that everyone is going to say i bought the wrong thing!

there isn't really a 'wrong' thing if you like what you have, some are just better off road and easier to modify than others.

I'm biased towards Toyota but the safari's are good wagons, plenty of guys on here drive them. I'm sure some of them will be happy to help with advise.

best way to find tracks is join your local 4wd club. google nz4wd association. list of clubs there.

EDIT- I see smurf just beat me to it. nelson.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Return to “New Members and Beginners”