New member from Westland

jcap
Winch master

New member from Westland

Postby jcap » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Thought it would be rude not to say Gidday; I have been a member of these forums for about a week and have enjoyed the reading and have assimilated some good info from the hard yakkas as well as being a bit intimidated by the level of automotive skills shown in users projects. I also had a really good chuckle at the why is IFS better than solid axle offroad post.

I suppose I am on team solid axle as well as team noob skills; have just bought a single cab hilux ln106; she's unmodified, a bit shiny and I doubt her cherry has ever been popped offroad. First mod I will do is a snorkel and investigate tightening up the LSD; I guess a breather set and some 33's will follow.

It's quite a steep learning curve being new to the scene; there are many opinions around. After purchasing the lux I bought into the air locker hype, came to the conclusion the E-locker is maybe better, then a couple of long tooth offroaders at work told me lockers will put me on a path of a lot of breakages and a couple of LSD's and a click or two of the handbrake work well, and then my local hilux expert recommended an Oz locker auto locker. There is a lot to learn and some leaps of faith to take in the future it seems.

Mount Greenland is a couple of clicks away from me and have enjoyed some of the video's on it from here and youtube; that V8 Range Rover video is pretty mean. Its also nice to know there are some good tame tracks nearby to start out on the offroad path i.e. No Name Rd.

Cheers
Last edited by jcap on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: New member from Westland

Postby mudsurfv6 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:42 pm

welcome. good choice of vehicle to learn in & to modify later on.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

jcap
Winch master

Postby jcap » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Cheers

shaun.paddy
Bush Crasher

Postby shaun.paddy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:30 pm

Good to have another coaster on board. Plenty of good tracks over here. Drop me a line sometime if you like , always keen to get ma truck muddy :)

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:02 am

We are heading your way over Easter to do No name road and a few others in the area if you wanted to tag along.

jcap
Winch master

Postby jcap » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:35 pm

shaun.paddy wrote:Good to have another coaster on board. Plenty of good tracks over here. Drop me a line sometime if you like , always keen to get ma truck muddy :)

Cheers, will keep that in mind; just need to get my basics in order like recovery gear, recovery points, snorkel and breathers then I will be keen to get out there and start having a crack. My ute will be coming into Greymouth this week on a transporter so will put a photo up and if you see me round before I get in touch then come and have a yarn.

Hilux2.jpg

Smurf wrote:We are heading your way over Easter to do No name road and a few others in the area if you wanted to tag along.

That's a good option for Easter; will keep that in mind too. I will do a bit more research on No Name Rd; I had read on here it was pretty easy then after my original post I saw some photo's and thought; damn, that might not be that tame :shock:
Last edited by jcap on Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm

jcap wrote:That's a good option for Easter; will keep that in mind too. I will do a bit more research on No Name Rd; I had read on here it was pretty easy then after my original post I saw some photo's and thought; damn, that might not be that tame :shock:

No Name Road is pretty tame but is a good drive combined with Cock eye and Liverpool Bills as they are all in the same area

Cuddas
Stropper

Postby Cuddas » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi there I too am from Ross... Well just out of Ross at the Totara river, we drove up Mt Greenland in May last year was pretty awesome trip
I too have a hilux, an 89 double cab.
Attachments
image.jpg

jcap
Winch master

Postby jcap » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 pm

Smurf wrote:No Name Road is pretty tame but is a good drive combined with Cock eye and Liverpool Bills as they are all in the same area

Good as; will talk to some of the locals about those tracks and let you know closer to Easter

Cuddas wrote:Hi there I too am from Ross... Well just out of Ross at the Totara river, we drove up Mt Greenland in May last year was pretty awesome trip
I too have a hilux, an 89 double cab.

Nice rig man, would love to see it sometime and get the run down on it - I might have to shout you a jug at the empire down the line. I am just near the new motor camp out at Ross Beach.

Return to “New Members and Beginners”