Newbie, looking to get first 4wd

Chestbrahnz
Stropper

Newbie, looking to get first 4wd

Postby Chestbrahnz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:18 am

Hey there, new to the forum
Am interested in getting into some light off roading (red rocks and the such) and will need a new vehicle to do so. I will also be using the vehicle as a daily so a little bit of comfort and fuel economy would be good. have a budget of around 5k and in the future would like to do add bigger tyres maybe a lift. dont want a 4x4 thats riddled with issues as money is limited and after owning a Daihatsu Charade lemon and a Honda Prelude with a tranny on the way out id like to steer clear of unreliable cars... but cheap repairs and general maintenance wont be a problem as the old man is very handy.
other than that there are no other reqs, from looking around here it seems like the surfs and patrols are fairly popular, and i personally like the look of the Mu's but am completely open to any suggestions. am leaning slightly towards diesel just based on fuel econ, if this is misguided feel free to enlighten me.
Any help appreciated, Cheers :D

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Re: Newbie, looking to get first 4wd

Postby Gyxx » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 am

Hi.

Running costs, petrol and diesel - when comparing running costs of diesel and petrol vehicles don't forget to factor in road user charges on the diesel. Also the diesel will require more frequent and expensive servicing.

Around the $5K you might find a half decent Surf but be careful of poorly maintained, thrashed or "modified by muppets" ones. You won't find a decent Patrol in that price bracket. Have a look at the Pajeros. In my opinion they represent the best value for money in that price segment, are reasonably capable in standard trim and make a good enough daily driver. I can't recall why but I don't think the Mu was held in much regard - someone else may know why.

Any idea if you want a short or long wheelbase - that'll make a big difference to the options you have.

Once you've seen some models you're into have a search on the net and ask on here. In the $5K bracket everything's going to be 20 years old which means their strengths and weaknesses will be pretty well known.

Good luck.

Chestbrahnz
Stropper

Postby Chestbrahnz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:06 pm

thanks man, thats really helpful, i don't have any preference for short or long wheel base so my options are completely open.

Pighorn
Driver/Navigator

Postby Pighorn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:23 pm

One word... ISUZU! Best bang for your buck for a 4wd. Bighorn or mu are good starting point and they dont seem to die. 3.1diesel or the 2.8diesel are bulletproof engines even more so the 2.8

Im a Tumor
Bush Crasher

Postby Im a Tumor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Id personally steer well clear of an Izuzu lol. Very unreliable engines.
Id be looking towards a Nissan Terrano.
Fits in your price range nicely. should get something in decent condition for 5k.
TD27t engines are very good engines. Only thing that lest them down is weak steering but that can be fixed with the 2wd steering mod.
Also check for rust under the back seats if you decide to look at one.

Chestbrahnz
Stropper

Postby Chestbrahnz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:26 pm

haha two directly conflicting replys right after one another. Iv'e heard to steer clear of the 3.1TD but have heard mostly positive things about the 2.8. Am also interested in a Diesel Paj, are these any good?

BMC
Driver/Navigator

Postby BMC » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:41 pm

1600cc Vitara/Escudo LWB or SWB?

Will handle the coast with ease, go well on the sand as they are on the lighter side as far as 4x4's go and are relatively economic when comparing with other petrol engines, but will chew through a bit of fuel off road due to the lack of low end torque- need to keep them reving.

Fits in your budget reliable and cheap to buy but can be hard to find one which is not overpriced!

Chestbrahnz
Stropper

Postby Chestbrahnz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:32 pm

I do like the look of the little suzukis, but i think im gunna look exclusively at diesels from now on

Return to “New Members and Beginners”