Typical Noob Question

sniperdude

Typical Noob Question

Postby sniperdude » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Hello Fellas,
I work as a pest controller and sometimes need to get into some quite gnarly places, plus being in a vantage point with the shelter of a 'car' goes a long way to producing successful results.My idea of a 4x4 based purely on aesthetics and size are the following

Hyundai Terracan(old boxy model)
Rav4
Suzuki Grand Vitara
My one caveat is that whichever car i end up with its going to get a quality winch put on the front of it(please indulge my ignorance)
Reasonably comfortable and reliable on our usual trips down the line with the family(four of us plus dog)

Now the reason for my leanings toward the above can be described by one word 'Nimble', i am aware of the comfort and power delivered by the stalwarts of the 4x4 world, like the landcruiser, Patrols and Pajeros etc
but i am looking for something light. quiet, and does not attract too much attention.

Can those amongst you who have real world experience on the subject over multiple models please educate me and point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Re: Typical Noob Question

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:26 pm

A winch on a RAV4, sounds more like a Tui ad. Would be fun to watch somebody attempting doing it though.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:35 pm

out of those, I would choose the suzuki, but how big is your dog? how much stuff would you need to take with you and the family?
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:37 pm

TJ wrote:A winch on a RAV4, sounds more like a Tui ad. Would be fun to watch somebody attempting doing it though.

Careful there ! I took the Rav around on our Xmas run and it did quite well.... Even drove some hills the big boys were having a few attempts at... :mrgreen:

But I would go for the Suzuki.... Need something with a proper Low Range box.... And also I am sure I have seen some fitted with a winch... You could also make a removable one.....
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Also do you tow anything?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:40 pm

If you are driving into areas where you think you may have need for a winch, you nee to rethink your vehicle selection.
A Rav isn't 4wd, it is front wheel drive and it chooses when to pretend to be in 4wd. I believe they revert back to front wheel drive when heading down hill and you over run the engine.
Hyundai, how many of them have you seen around with a winch on them? Guess why?

Depending on your choice of Vitara you may be onto something there.
Without knowing what sort of 'gnarly' you are expecting it is hard to know what suggestions to make

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Postby Craydiver » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 pm

your needs really define 2 types of vehicles (ruling out all the larger options) and assuming u need to mount winch
1- something light. quiet, and does not attract too much attention, go gnarly places
= suzuki - 2 dr
2-Reasonably comfortable and reliable on our usual trips down the line with the family(four of us plus dog
=suzuki 4dr, terrano, surf, or of course any twin cab 4x4 (ute - less on the comfort ride side unless your buying <10yrs old)

you face the typical issue we all have, trying to have a 4x4 that does all your needs, from road stuff to offroad, gear, people etc, you will always compromise,
you need to decide which are your biggest priorities
Im a hunter , 3-4 hr drive ex Ak, but the off road wins hands down for me, so i put up with noisy, less comfortable drive, that will go places and still be reliable to get me back home again.
Like smurf said - the go gnarly places? - can mean quite diff things
88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

sniperdude

Postby sniperdude » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Thank you all, gents, a clearer picture is emerging, shame about the Hyundai Terracans not takin a winch, i like that car.A colleague once told me about her Rav4, used it to haul out their other car that got stuck.The Suzukis are used by the Military and Paramilitary in India and get a fair bashing but still perform, very austere though for family.hmmmmmmmm :(

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:38 am

Why not a SWB land cruiser prado?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-1035546194.htm

Small enough, doesn't stand out either.
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE), 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, 1997 Sprinter Carib
Past (only 4x4's due to character limit): '90 Hiace Super Custom Part Time 4x4, '94 Pajero, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '92 Terrano, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:00 am

A Hyundai Terracan is essentially a Generation 2 Pajero with a different body and engine. The Chassis is dam near identical, a few in OZ have been done up.

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php ... ad/&page=1
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:38 am

NJV6 wrote:A Hyundai Terracan is essentially a Generation 2 Pajero with a different body and engine. The Chassis is dam near identical, a few in OZ have been done up.

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php ... ad/&page=1

They have different engines, bodies and somewhat dissimilar chassis, yet they are essentially the same.... Hmm, thats like saying monkies are essentially the same as humans with different fur and brains, and dissimilar tails.. :lol:

I know what you mean though, just having fun with your phrasing.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Return to “New Members and Beginners”