GIBSON AIRFLOW SNORKELS

Bushrash
Hard Yaka

GIBSON AIRFLOW SNORKELS

Postby Bushrash » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Hey
Just wondering if gibson snorkels were ok say compared to the rest out there, they seem pretty good money compared to say a safari snorkel,any feedback appreciated,going on the safari
Bushrash :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bushrash on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Re: GIBSON SNORKELS

Postby DaveM » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:47 pm

I hear that the design has improved somewhat compared to the original, which were fairly average.
I just about bought one yesterday on TM, till I realised I have a Safari brand one sitting in the shed for the GQ collecting dust :oops:

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Purchased one a few months back via a website.
Looked OK and had no problems fitting in the end other than they don't always tell you what else you may have to move or modify to get everything snug under bonnet. But that may have been a vehicle specific thing. For my vehicle there was some web info on fitting an airflow snorkel for my vehicle and using that and the instructions made it easier to understand.

Seemed to fit well enough. Only problem I had was they say a 76mm hole in the guard. OK for the start of the snorkel to go through but it gets larger further back and you need to allow for the hose clamp and tube. 80mm hole is more like it. Also had to slightly oval a couple of the bolt holes either because template was not accurate enough or I was out in my measurements and drilling.

Bushrash
Hard Yaka

Postby Bushrash » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:59 am

Ralfie wrote:Purchased one a few months back via a website.
Looked OK and had no problems fitting in the end other than they don't always tell you what else you may have to move or modify to get everything snug under bonnet. But that may have been a vehicle specific thing. For my vehicle there was some web info on fitting an airflow snorkel for my vehicle and using that and the instructions made it easier to understand.

Seemed to fit well enough. Only problem I had was they say a 76mm hole in the guard. OK for the start of the snorkel to go through but it gets larger further back and you need to allow for the hose clamp and tube. 80mm hole is more like it. Also had to slightly oval a couple of the bolt holes either because template was not accurate enough or I was out in my measurements and drilling.

Have heard you can have problems fitting the airflow ones ,not really sure if its the way i want to go ,did price up a arb safari one this morn and they are alot more than the airflow ones by quite a bit,but they were telling me that there is a new one being released for the gq for turboed engines,, have seen the safari ones fitted they look the part ,,,,bigger air intake and and different hat etc,,,matter of interest no one has a second hand safari one for a gq they want to sell??

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Re: GIBSON AIRFLOW SNORKELS

Postby Ralfie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:12 am

I was probably like you suspicious of the Gibson Airflow brand after hear say reports of ill fitting poor quality etc.
But with a price at half of the Safari a factor it was a no brainer and in the end it was a good buy.
I took my time, checked everything as I went and checked again. Fitted well and serves the purpose. What more could you ask for?

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:13 am

I would reckomend spending a bit more and getting the safari snorkel. they fit better and are a lot stronger than the other models and are able to teke a lot more pinishment. ie rubbing against banks and being hit by branches etc.

just my 2 cents worth anyways

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:38 pm

mudlva wrote: would reckomend spending a bit more and getting the safari snorkel.

A bit more..............!!

Normally I would agree BUT the Safari was over twice the price of the Gibson when I was getting prices. I couldn't see any justification or real difference for the extra money.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Ralfie wrote:
A bit more..............!!

Normally I would agree BUT the Safari was over twice the price of the Gibson when I was getting prices. I couldn't see any justification or real difference for the extra money.

Put the two side by side then you will.
Glen
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Not exactly side by side but looked at same make of vehicle with a Safari afterwards with mine. Couldn't see any major differences apart from type of pillar bracket and a brand name moulded on the side.

As already stated Gibson seemed to have improved somewhat over their earlier ones which had a reputation as ill fitting. This was certainly not the case with the one I fitted.

Is the safari really worth paying $800 plus for when you can get the Gibson for under $400? I paid $350 at the time.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Heck, are they that much!!! Maybe I retract my comment! :oops:

Mine was less than $600.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Bushrash
Hard Yaka

Postby Bushrash » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:22 pm

The gibson are round the $350 mark and the safari just a tad over $600 so enough of a difference not sure if they are almost twice as good???? :?

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Postby muddyhilux » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 pm

dam i cant beliee people are paying anything near that,i made mine out of mandrel bent exaust tube with hat for under $200
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

Jordon87
Winch master

Postby Jordon87 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:42 pm

muddyhilux wrote:dam i cant beliee people are paying anything near that,i made mine out of mandrel bent exaust tube with hat for under $200

Same here, some stainless tubing form steel and tube and a safari top hat, did the whole thing for just under $200 :D

Bushrash
Hard Yaka

Postby Bushrash » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Jordon87 wrote:
muddyhilux wrote:dam i cant beliee people are paying anything near that,i made mine out of mandrel bent exaust tube with hat for under $200

Same here, some stainless tubing form steel and tube and a safari top hat, did the whole thing for just under $200 :D

Yeah i know what your saying and agree i have a engineering shop but like the look of the plastic ones :mrgreen:

Landcruiser70
Bush Crasher

Postby Landcruiser70 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:07 am

I fitted my Airflow snorkel last month. Trust me it's not as easy as they make it out to be! (especially after a few! :lol: ). I had to cut a bit of the piece off the snorkel and the guard wouldn't come off the tuck etc. It was just a big job. Although in saying that for an extra hour or twos work I wouldn't pay what they want for a safari.

My 2 cents: Make a stainless one. They look good and you can have it as you want.
1993 Landcruiser Prado LJ78: 4" lift, Tough Dog sus, 35" BFG muds, ARB air locker, LSD

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:53 pm

There was a lump of metal in the way of the stupid piece that runs inside the guard on my Patrol. Other than that it was easy as, mainly because h20 did most of the work for me haha.

I fitted a steel one to my old Safari and if I had to choose again I would go with one of those over an airflow or safari brand. I reckon they look better and like the fact you can leave a gap between the body and the snorkel.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

zephyrheaven
Hard Yaka

Postby zephyrheaven » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:24 pm

I got my airflow at cost price, couldnt justify a safari at the time - and honestly, it took ages (me and a mate whos an engineer did it, were very fussy with everything) probably 2 hours - didnt remove the guard (like some people do wtf?) either

I chucked in a new K&N (old filter was carboard and been in there since new i would say lol) and boy it loves 100k/hr, down low its huffing and roaring a bit

Otherwise, happy.. :D

gomulletgo
Hard Yaka

Postby gomulletgo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:53 pm

I know this post is a bit of a grave dig. But does anyone have the contact details of the airflow snorkel distributor for Canterbury? :D

It can't hurt to have it in this thread.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:51 pm

A cpl of yrs ago i brought & install an airflow snorkel.
I will never make that mistake again.
The kit i got was supposed to have all the required fittings for my model.
The supplied flexy tube was too small to fit over the inlet of aircleaner.Where the template told me to drill the holes its impossible to physically get the bolts inside the guard to fit them.

Ive since read that the safari snorkels flow much more air & with less restriction... this being the case EGR temps will be lower , more horsepower & better fuel economy.
There is a reason you pay more for safari.... they are much better.

A cpl of months ago i purchased a replacement guard & im saving to buy a safari so i can upgrade.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:27 pm

tallsam66 wrote:A cpl of yrs ago i brought & install an airflow snorkel.
The supplied flexy tube was too small to fit over the inlet of aircleaner.Where the template told me to drill the holes its impossible to physically get the bolts inside the guard to fit them.

Ive since read that the safari snorkels flow much more air & with less restriction... this being the case EGR temps will be lower , more horsepower & better fuel economy.

A cpl of months ago i purchased a replacement guard & im saving to buy a safari so i can upgrade.

Like Trev says you get what you pay for :mrgreen:

Damz
Hard Yaka

Postby Damz » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 am

Sadam_Husain wrote:
tallsam66 wrote:A cpl of yrs ago i brought & install an airflow snorkel.

Like Trev says you get what you pay for :mrgreen:

Amen! :mrgreen:

Nutty-Ref

sitpa snorkel

Postby Nutty-Ref » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:39 pm

any one got a temp plate . trooper - isuzu bighorn . :D

Return to “Tool Shed”