HELP! Cone washers

3VILC
Hard Yaka

HELP! Cone washers

Postby 3VILC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Ok so i've finally got round to changing the axle seals on the lux. Now all the cars and trucks ive pulled apart over the years ive never encountered these before. But i cant for the life of me work out how the f*** to get the tapered cone lock washers out that hold the free wheel hub body onto the hub! Could somebody please offer me some pointers, i've tried whacking a punch where the split is as the manual suggests but that doesnt do much, ive tried seperating them with a screwdriver, and i've tried swearing at them :lol: but they don't budge

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated so i can get the job done lol

Clive
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Jerry
Yes Dear

Re: HELP! Cone washers

Postby Jerry » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:52 pm

try tapping the side of the hub with a hammer ....
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Be very careful doing the above. YOu can deform the holes for the comne washers if you hit the free wheel hub. In saying that taping around the hub if is the best way to lossen them
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Tried tapping as hard as i dared, looks like previous owner has already used this method as the habs are flattened slightly where the studs are. Tried what i read elsewhere about using progressively larger screwdrivers in the split, now have a wider split but still no movement. Have soaked in crc. Silly idea why not just use normal flat lock washers like the nissan and isuzu hubs ive had off before :P
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

1hamish1
Bush Crasher

Postby 1hamish1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Its all in the smack mate. Leave the nuts on so the cone washer doesnt fly off but they need to be loose obviously. Needs to be a swift solid twack and they come out peace of piss. Just dress any burrs etc out with a file after, but if you use a copper hammer and hit hard and once it wont even bruise. It really does need to be a solid swift hit, and they pop right out. hit directly above the washer on the hub.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Got the lil buggers! Thanks hamish1 i discovered that after i had to hunt around the driveway for the first one haha put the nuts back on. Ended up using a very firm but not hard hit with a 6lb sledge (holding it near the head, not taking a full on swing at it of course :P ) as the kids have hidden my hammer somewhere, dont ya love that lol.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 pm

years ago I picked up a piece of about 20mm diameter alloy rod that I use as a drift (brass is probably better) place it on the end of the studs with the nuts off and smack it hard and sharp works well and is softer than the studs to doesn't damage them and doesn't damage the housing either.

Cheers,
Pete

Lynx
Hard Yaka

Postby Lynx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Petemcc wrote:years ago I picked up a piece of about 20mm diameter alloy rod that I use as a drift (brass is probably better) place it on the end of the studs with the nuts off and smack it hard and sharp works well and is softer than the studs to doesn't damage them and doesn't damage the housing either.

Cheers,
Pete

In the future do it this way, doesnt wreck anything. Smacking the hub wrecks them.

Cheers Daniel

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Petemcc wrote:years ago I picked up a piece of about 20mm diameter alloy rod that I use as a drift (brass is probably better) place it on the end of the studs with the nuts off and smack it hard and sharp works well and is softer than the studs to doesn't damage them and doesn't damage the housing either.

Cheers,
Pete

In the future do it this way, doesnt wreck anything. Smacking the hub wrecks them.

Cheers Daniel

Bingo :mrgreen:

Return to “Tool Shed”