box section for boadylift spacers

mr terrano
Bush Crasher

box section for boadylift spacers

Postby mr terrano » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:49 pm

has anyone used box section for body lift spacers or should I just use that plastic stuff? if so where would I get some of that plastic for 1 in Auckland?

any help would be great

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Re: box section for boadylift spacers

Postby Fakey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:44 pm

I used 50x50x5mm box in my fj40 with a crush tube welded into it. Looked ugly, I'd use round poly blocks if I did it again
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 am

I used www.Dotmar.co.nz for the nylon/plastic ones
I got a price from the main office in Auckland at about $150 for 10x 50mm blocks at 50mm diameter. Got a quote from their chrischuch branch for $80 for the same thing including GST and delivery and 10mm centre hole. That was a couple years ago but should be roughly the same. this was for a hilux, for anything bigger I would go for 60mm diameter.

Might pay to give trade me a quick search too, sometimes there are good options there including the bolts.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 849620.htm
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Here is a trader down country on Trademe too.
I have got stuff from him before...
Competitive prices...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 116076.htm
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Judging by your user name, it's for a Terrano? Experience says stay away from the poly blocks as they aren't that large in diameter and tend to move on the extended bolts and cause cracking of the front foot wells. Box section worked great to spread the load over a larger area. As above, I used 50x75x5mm with crush tubes welded in. Got mine as off cuts from Steel North Shore.

Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Ant wrote:I used http://www.Dotmar.co.nz for the nylon/plastic ones
I got a price from the main office in Auckland at about $150 for 10x 50mm blocks at 50mm diameter. Got a quote from their chrischuch branch for $80 for the same thing including GST and delivery and 10mm centre hole. That was a couple years ago but should be roughly the same. this was for a hilux, for anything bigger I would go for 60mm diameter.

Might pay to give trade me a quick search too, sometimes there are good options there including the bolts.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 849620.htm

Dotmar also have a branch in Plamerston North on Bennett Street, I got some out of their scrap bin for spacers on the back door of my TJ when I put my 33s on (modified tyre carrier), came in a long rod about 75mm diameter and got someone with a lathe to cut them up for me all done including purchase for $40
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

mr terrano
Bush Crasher

Postby mr terrano » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 pm

cheers for all the help guys trying to get the truck ready for the summer 4x4 mishions with the famz chur any other upgrade advice would be handy

mr terrano
Bush Crasher

Postby mr terrano » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm

sibainmud wrote:Judging by your user name, it's for a Terrano? Experience says stay away from the poly blocks as they aren't that large in diameter and tend to move on the extended bolts and cause cracking of the front foot wells. Box section worked great to spread the load over a larger area. As above, I used 50x75x5mm with crush tubes welded in. Got mine as off cuts from Steel North Shore.

Cheers,

if you done it with bigger polly blocks like 75ml or would you just stay with the box section and crush tubes?

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 pm

you can get uhmwpe bar that big to turn blocks out of. They won't catch mud and crap like those pictured can and, even though they shouldn't, could slip through warrants.

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Postby Craydiver » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Just did Safari -got him to quote specific dia, height based on research I did on best dia etc
8 NYLON BODY LIFT BLOCK 40 X 80 DIA X 12 HOLE Total to pay: $89.80
matt.penny@dotmar.co.nz - excellent job, I have lathe access etc but unless you can get material real cheap $90 was good deal
8x 8.8 bolts and nylocks $36 from steel masters
88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

Return to “Tool Shed”