Any issue replacing winch hook with a bow shackle?

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Any issue replacing winch hook with a bow shackle?

Postby Mehrts » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:07 pm

As title states, is there anything bad about using a rated bow shackle instead of a hook on the end of synthetic winch rope?

I ask this, as I have had to use a shackle with the hook most of the time when winching anyway, so it eliminates one extra thing in the winching situation.

99% of the time I need to use either a tree protector strap or attach onto someones recovery point, so a shackle on its own should be all good (in my eyes).

Can I have the eye splice contacting the pin of the shackle directly (as this is nice and round/smooth) , or do I need a metal eye thimble to reduce wear on the rope?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Re: Any issue replacing winch hook with a bow shackle?

Postby kbjj » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Use a bigger hook, easier, faster. Yes , use a thimble thingy, keeps the rope in its formed shape

Edit: Opps... I need to read properly, for some reason I assumed you had wire rope :oops: Sorry, carry on
Last edited by kbjj on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you break it... build it stronger.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 pm

I've already got a few shackles, but thought there's no point in buying a larger hook if I don't need one.

Hooks may be a little quicker to deal with, but I'm not worried if it takes an extra 10 seconds to rig everything up.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:44 pm

No issues, if that is want you want to do.
I have a shackle on mine and if I need a hook then can easily put hook on via shackle.
Shackle is not likely to slip, all fall off while winching like a hook can.

4WDbits
Hard Yaka

Postby 4WDbits » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:10 am

There are no safety issues using a rated shackle.

If you're using synthetic rope of some description, they usually require the diameter of the eye to be about 2.5 x the rope diameter to maintain strength.
We don't use a steel thimble on our rope (when fitted), just straight onto the hook, maillon or whatever we're using at the time.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:12 am

Ok, thanks for that Warren. The diameter of the bow shackle pin that I'm using is over an inch in diameter for 10mm rope. It is alot larger that the pin on the hook that I've got, at a guess this will be around 10mm diameter, so pretty small.

It looks like a much nicer setup having a large rope eye radius going directly onto a smooth round pin which spreads the load onto the rope.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Return to “Tool Shed”