WOF Fail

curly12
Hard Yaka

WOF Fail

Postby curly12 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Evening all, still here, just not posting much due to lack of 4WD stuff. Question about WOF...
Just took the old vintage hill climb car in for a WOF today at a garage near my parents place where I store it near Warkworth. It failed on a couple of things that seem a bit out of place. The garage failed both back tyres with 3 & 4mm tread, said it needed 5mm and some other minor bits and pieces. I am not impressed with the WOF report and wonder that if I take it to a different WOF place tomorrow will the fail sheet be on file.

BTW this is the first time in five years this car has not been to the local LTSA testing station in Whangarei so I have no doubt the garage is not correct. Also it has only completed 200 km in the past six months and that has only been road work as it is 70km form here to where it is stored...
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

Zooker
Hard Yaka

Re: WOF Fail

Postby Zooker » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Tyres need 1.5mm tread.
Tyres could be perished from so little use?

The fail will be on file straight away, not that the next shop will know what it failed on.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:38 pm

if the tyres are sweet just tell the new wof garage you replaced the worn ones that failed with some good second hand ones with 3 & 4mm tread on them :D and make a mental note never to go back to the first garage :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Tyre tread
Tyre treads must be at least 1.5mm deep across three-quarters of the tread pattern, around the entire circumference.This applies to almost very type of vehicle on NZ roads, including on-road motorcycles, goods vehicles, trailers and caravans. The odd exception includes bicycles, mopeds and trikes.
Tyre size and construction
Tyres on the same axle must be of the same size and construction.
Tyre standard
Tyres must be of an approved standard.
Tyre pressure
Tyres must be inflated to the correct pressure.
Tyre damage
Tyres must be in a roadworthy and safe condition, e.g. no damage, bulging, cuts, splits and cracks likely to cause tyre failure. Damage to the wheel rim is another reason for WOF failure.

The NZ Transport Agency is reminding drivers that new rules to ensure the safe use of winter tyres in New Zealand come into force from this Thursday (1 April).

The new requirements, included in the Land Transport:Tyres and Wheels Amendment Rule, prohibit the mixing of winter tyres (also known as snow tyres) with other types of tyres on the same vehicle.

Winter tyres are made with a softer rubber compound and deeper treads specifically designed to maintain grip in cold weather (below 7C).

While winter tyres have safety benefits when used appropriately, they can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Mixing winter tyres with other tyres on the same vehicle can result in different levels of grip on the front and rear axles, which can make the vehicle unbalanced and difficult to control in an emergency or during hard braking. This has been been shown to have been a contributing factor in crashes.

In order to reduce the risk crashes arising from the misuse of winter tyres, the rule states that from 1 April 2010, if a vehicle is fitted with winter tyres, they must be fitted to all road wheels of the vehicle.

The rule also introduces a new minimum tread depth for winter tyres of 4 mm. This requirement is based on tyre manufacturers’ recommendations for adequate performance in the snow.

So are they marked with an S or M&S on the sidewall.?
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

curly12
Hard Yaka

Postby curly12 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks guys. They are the same tyres that got the last two warrants, so should normal tyres and we don't have winters here!! It also failed on the seatbelts not being the correct type?? and no back seatbelts?? Nothing changed since factory and back seatbelts are not required because of its age. It is booked in with the local LTSA station tomorrow and I asked for the same person to check it that has done it for the past few years ( he has a 40yr old triumph that has been in the family for 35 years).

Might even bring back my faith in LTSA testing staions.... :shock:
Or is it a case of not what you know but who you know..... 8) 8) 8)
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:08 pm

curly12 wrote: I am not impressed with the WOF report

Considered putting in a complaint?
If they've failed you for things outside the VIRM, its either because they don't know it (scary if they're passing things that shouldn't!) or because they're trying to rip you off. Either way its bad.

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:25 pm

slide wrote:
curly12 wrote: I am not impressed with the WOF report

Considered putting in a complaint?
If they've failed you for things outside the VIRM, its either because they don't know it (scary if they're passing things that shouldn't!) or because they're trying to rip you off. Either way its bad.

X2
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Postby Bubba » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Sorry for hi-jack Curly

Re: "Winter Tyres" I have a set on my jeep, they are fckin awesome!! A cross between AT and racing tyres, ie: deep tread of a mud/AT, soft compound like a racing tyre.

Just waiting for the snow to hit Welly!!

:mrgreen:
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

4WDbits
Hard Yaka

Postby 4WDbits » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Take the sheet back to them and ask to be shown exactly which part of the VIRM they have failed each item on. If they can't/won't then you have grounds to lay a complaint.

BGOSNZ
Bush Crasher

Postby BGOSNZ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:16 am

What was the result of your trip to the testing station?

Return to “Tool Shed”