sr20 wireing and trimming loom

You Get That
Hard Yaka

sr20 wireing and trimming loom

Postby You Get That » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Just pulled the loom out of my sr bluebird fir my suzuki swap and dam theres alot of wites to it :shock:
seems %90 of it is air con and controls, so plan is to sit down and remove all un needed crap should be easy but im worried about pulling out a stupid sensor or something that will stop the engine from going.

just looking for experience and tips from people that have done it
cheers
Addicted to suzukis....

meatc
Hard Yaka

Re: sr20 wireing and trimming loom

Postby meatc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 pm

I've done a CA18 which is pretty similar.

There is heaps you can cull out not only AC stuff but idle ups, cold start etcetera. Key is get a full factory manual for the car ( bonus of SR stuff is boy racers love them so search SR20 fsm and you'll find one). They have individual wiring diagrams for every component on the engine

Then spread it all out pull the tape off and start stripping, heaps of the earths go back to the same place etc but it's not to hard.

Just remember when you put it all back together make sure the sensors and the ecu get their earths from the same place and that is off the manifold. The voltage variation if you don't will mess things up.

Take your time plan and don't cut till your sure
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:01 am

fsm thats what I was lookng for cheers fir the info, lots of det fsms hard to find just a sr20 one,

easy way to do wireing is send it to a guy in trade me to do it fir you :mrgreen:

he reckons he can get it running with just the section of cabling from the ecu to the engine witch sounds too easy and he mostly does manuals so im worried about my auto not working correctly,

anyone know about this? the auto has a few plugs on it on the engine loom I assume we just leave these as is and the auto will be fine

and there is a plug on the shifter too is this needed or is it just for the dash pnr123 lights?

cheers
Addicted to suzukis....

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:49 am

That shifter plug might also do the starter inhibitor.

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:19 pm

Mattman wrote:That shifter plug might also do the starter inhibitor.

could be too so it will only start in park so I could either wire in it or just bypass it and make sure i always start it in park haha
Addicted to suzukis....

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Trade me fella is right its pretty easy to make it run. There are only about 5 wires to the ecu and the starter wiring to deal with if you dont want to mess with all the nice to have stuff like idle ups etc.

The auto runs its own computer and there are a few shared signals and to / from signals between the engine and auto comps.

Unless you really really want the auto to function on its own, it is really easy to wire it be be manual shifting auto which delets the auto comp. I have a wiring diagram to do this, just not sure if it is on a stick or my dead laptop :roll:
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Was wanting the auto to function normaly didn't really want to make it a manual auto, there is no seperate ecu for the auto I'm sure the main ecu that does the engine controls it too.
There is a few plugs on the auto that go to the same harness as the engine so hopping just plug it back together an go
Addicted to suzukis....

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:31 pm

What year is it? The early Sr20 front drive auto's are full hydraulic with electrical only for the over drive.

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 pm

93 bluebird sr20 with fwd auto
Addicted to suzukis....

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Was only the CVT autos that had the seep rate computer for the gearbox. So there's no issues there :)

As far as I know, should be just plug and go?

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:36 pm

hopefully I will get this guy th cut it loom down and plug it back in and see how it gos, if the cable on the shifter is only for lights and park lock starting I wont even need that because im not useing the key start circuit
Addicted to suzukis....

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:38 pm

meatc wrote:Just remember when you put it all back together make sure the sensors and the ecu get their earths from the same place and that is off the manifold. The voltage variation if you don't will mess things up.

when you say this do you mean to put the earths in the loom and the ecu earth all on the manifold or off the manifold? can I not just go to a good place onthe body?
Addicted to suzukis....

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:18 am

Don't use the body. Earth the ecu and all the sensors etc on the engine, usually the manifold. Factory there will be a couple of earth points on the head side of the inlet manifold fairly easy to get to.

The ecu reads tiny differences in voltage from the sensors ( remembering most are only max 5v) so any difference in earth can create a voltage difference and it will run like crap.

Been there, couldn't work it out, read a bit, changed the ecu earths from body to same location on the manifold and problem solved, if I hadn't done it I wouldn't have believed it either

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 pm

^^^
yep that's critical not optional :D

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:58 pm

another bump haha, the trans works mint shifts upto 3rd, but anyone know what plugs on the trans switch the overdrive on and off,
Addicted to suzukis....

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Red/brown 8 pin plug usually found on inner right wheel arch by brake booster
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:44 pm

that doesnt really help lol its in a suzuki now,, and what do I do to it to get overdrive to go
Addicted to suzukis....

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:07 pm

You Get That wrote:that doesnt really help lol its in a suzuki now,, and what do I do to it to get overdrive to go

download the manual for the car the trans/engine came from it will be either a RE4F03A or RL4F03A jatco trans,

you are looking for a page like this under AT in the index

it will give you the plug shape and its location on the loom.

and if you havent kept all the sensors and switches TCU etc you will have to manually wire them to switch's some how.

you will basically be manualising the trans, for tc lock up and over drive etc.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

You Get That
Hard Yaka

Postby You Get That » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 pm

it shift gears fine one two three but I just need to figure out how to put the overdrive on so it can cruise a bit faster, it has a kickdown cable from the motor that makes it change gears has no cables going to it just has 3 comming out that arnt hooked to anything, I will try find some wireing diagram
Addicted to suzukis....

Return to “Tool Shed”