A frame design

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Re: A frame design

Postby Mudde1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:20 pm

mercutio wrote:dam windows won't let me open this on a Linux system

can someone post this up as a pdf file cheers

It is a PDF. click on "download" and "open with" and you should be fine.
Tony.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Don't worry, Ive got a legal Office and OneDrive subscription and it wont let me open it either lol.
I get "WordOnline encountered an error opening this document, Please view it in Microsoft Word" ..well, since its not stored on my own onedrive I cant do that either haha
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 am

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:27 am

I had an interesting phone call from mr plod in Wellington regarding this issue and our (Auckland4WD) member. He passed onto me the court ruling and asked me to get it out there as the issue was presenting it self more often. It would appear that the LTSA have been advising people incorrectly re towing / A framing vehicles around.
To do so legally they need to be road legal for an example like trailers. With the only exemption if you are to take it to a place of repair to make it road legal or something like that. The law was not written to allow you to A frame your non road legal vehicle around the country.
In the court proceedings it gives you the various passages from law....

So now the fun begins.....
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:33 am

I think it is now safe to say....
"Put it on s trailer bud"

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:41 am

It seems that way. Just don't do it around Auckland seems to be the case haha. There did tho (probably until this court reading) used to be a paragraph on the NZTA website, its likely posted in an old post(s) somewhere, that read along the lines of 'a vehicle normally powered by its own mechanical power may be towed behind another vehicle so long as it is in a fit state to be towed' which made no definition of how it was towed or where it was being towed too, which I think is where we've all got the A-framing is OK idea from. Even the court decision states that there is no clear law around this..as to be expected now someone has tried to argue the point its earmarked as another way to dish out fines.
But at the end of the day it looks they've made it clear, if the wheels are on the road it must be road legal.
Should I throw another spanner in the works and mention dollys? :twisted: Technically, most of the towed vehicle is still 'on the road' lol
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:34 am

Personally, it annoys me that yet again another grab has been made at the pocket of the little guy wanting to have some cheap fun away from alcohol and TV.

In saying that, I'm pro trailer.

Using an A frame still requires the towed vehicle to have good wheel bearings, good steering, and brakes that aren't dragging. If any if the above are suspect and your dragging this thing at 90kph for a few hundred k's, chances are your not going to get there.

Also, if you do any damage to the running gear out wheeling, say blow and axle/diff/cv/drive shaft/steering arm/ball joint etc your going to have some serious bush mechanics to make it mobile enough to creep it home on the A Frame.

Much better and simpler on a trailer.

I have a single axle trailer for the Zuk and L.R. Cost $65 a year rego, $20 a year wof. $1000 to purchase, and unless I wreck it, it won't depreciate.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:06 pm

[
Much better and simpler on a trailer.

I have a single axle trailer for the Zuk and L.R. Cost $65 a year rego, $20 a year wof. $1000 to purchase, and unless I wreck it, it won't depreciate.[/quote]

seems to be the way of the world now a days, that said i am in agree'ance with it.

pulling a bushy homes after a hard day out has issues in itself

best thing i ever did was to transport my wagon, took a lot of stress away when passing through the small towns covered in mud etc and broken bits tied back on with rope and truck ties trying to dodge the coppers :oops: :oops:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:11 pm

back to topic, asked a few older chaps that used to a frame everywhere.
they said basically the width of the vehicle for the length of the draw beam worked well, or the longer the better with out being stupid,
and they made up a light board that tied onto the rear of the bushy,
also pumped the tyres up lots helped in the tow aswell

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 pm

DieselBoy wrote:Personally, it annoys me that yet again another grab has been made at the pocket of the little guy wanting to have some cheap fun away from alcohol and TV.

x2
And rugby.
Oh, and domestic violence. Can't forget about the spousal abuse, though that kind of goes hand in hand with the alcohol.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Was intending to build/buy an a frame to tow my hot rod project to and from certifier and WoF inspections.

Might just do it and see how I go as it will only be for taking it to and from mechanics/engineers.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:26 pm

I did remember seeing that part still in there last when I was trawling through nztas largely open ended info. Exempt for the purpose of taking to obtain compliance or to a place of repair.. so I think your right, but who knows, they might change it on you again lol

icekayak
Hard Yaka

Postby icekayak » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 pm

An interesting picture on this auction, although again the letter does refer to it being temporarily towed...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/caravans-motorhomes/motorhomes/up-to-5-metres/auction-831884814.htm

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:39 am

icekayak wrote:An interesting picture on this auction, although again the letter does refer to it being temporarily towed...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/caravans-motorhomes/motorhomes/up-to-5-metres/auction-831884814.htm

Has the legislation changed since that date? Or is this the whole "grey area" thing showing itself again?

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:46 am

Sausager wrote:Has the legislation changed since that date? Or is this the whole "grey area" thing showing itself again?

No. It is all about that word temporarily .............. and its definition when applied to a vehicle that is unregistered and no wof.

doddzee
Is Doddgee

Postby doddzee » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 am

Legislation is here http://nzta.thomsonreuters.co.nz/DLEG-N ... 5001_1.pdf in since 2002. Relevant sections 10.1 and 7.1(1)I.

Nothing has changed its just how people chose to interoperate the law to suit their situation much like that TradeMe add, that vehicle is certainly not a temporary tow, it is has been modified to be towed permanently.
MWB V8 Safari Ute

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 am

No way in hell that caravan (that's what it is now) is legal.

Return to “Tool Shed”