Power steering boxes

Heath
Hard Yaka

Power steering boxes

Postby Heath » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Looking for options to add power steering to my HQ chassis based hot rod.

HQ boxes are getting hard to come by and usually flogged out (unless you get very lucky), they are also a little unpredictable at speed due to their design. Did I mention that a reconditioned one with swap of old one is up around $500.

I am looking at power steer boxes that will attach to the inside of the drivers side chassis (Right side) where the factory box goes. Maybe I'll have to get a US box to fit inside the rail (swap from outside left rail to inside right rail) if I cant find an NZ option that suits. Going to run the GM pump (may as well as I already have it) and will get hoses made to suit.

IFS box I guess would be suitable swinging the pitman arm in an arc behind the box.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Power steering boxes

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 pm

HQ did come with power steering try rare spares, but you will need the pitman aswell as the non p/s has smaller spline. alot of the race guys uses terrano boxes with spacers to bolt it inside the chassi rail
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 am

left hand drive bj73/74 box has pitman rear faceing and would be able to be fixed to the side of the r/h drive chassis. just a thought

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:46 am

Crash bandicoot wrote:HQ did come with power steering try rare spares, but you will need the pitman aswell as the non p/s has smaller spline. alot of the race guys uses terrano boxes with spacers to bolt it inside the chassi rail

Been to Rare spares - bit pricey and they dont have many (hit and miss if they have any on the shelf to be honest). When they do its luck of the draw (labels show internal condition after they are rebuilt - Green is good, Yellow is okay/marginal).

Might just keep the manual steering for a while longer and see how it goes. If its to heavy then I'll chase the power option.

tgaguy1
Hard Yaka

Postby tgaguy1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Why not think about powered rack and pinion from a jape car or a commy, falcon etc?
Men do not quit playing because they get old.
They grow old because they quit playing.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:55 pm

company in aussie makes them specifically for the HQ but serious coin involved. $2850.00 AU.

to make another brand work chassi mods, with cert costs etc and get it set up so the geometry is correct , no bump steer, it would be easier to stay closer to box and draglink style.
but the blacks steering kits are certified, ADR approved and bolt in no modification required.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:company in aussie makes them specifically for the HQ but serious coin involved. $2850.00 AU.

to make another brand work chassi mods, with cert costs etc and get it set up so the geometry is correct , no bump steer, it would be easier to stay closer to box and draglink style.
but the blacks steering kits are certified, ADR approved and bolt in no modification required.

Seen those and they are on my lotto list, but unlikely otherwise. Cert costs arent a problem as this is a scratch build so everything is checked.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Missed out on a vitara power steering box on Trade me (thought about it too long and missed out - LOL).

I thought I might grab it and have a play around if I got it cheap enough. If I didnt use it I would just on sell it later. It did look promising though as they mount on the inside of the drivers chassis rail. Have a possiblity of a collapsable lower shaft that might do the job too

Such is life.

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:36 am

Early 80's Toyota Cresida /Crown
A Zuk power steering mod before Vitara boxes became common.
Mounts inside the chassis rail too
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:37 am

I reckon a trip to your friendly local wrecker or pick a part is what you need, spend some time on your knees having a look

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:02 am

Mr Revhead wrote: spend some time on your knees having a look

:shock:

:lol:

cornflake
Hard Yaka

Postby cornflake » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:04 pm

get one out of a rangi mitsi same saide ect pick a paert

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Yep a bit of time on my knees might be in order - LOL - at picka part looking at car parts that is not .... parts. :mrgreen:

Return to “Tool Shed”